Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #11
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Ike Taylor Presents Dilemma

I personally think it boils down to do you keep Ike or do you keep Joey Porter? Porter is going to want a pretty big contract, and with Ben and Troy's contracts coming up, they won't be able to keep both of them. Considering Joey's age and his heir apparent already being signed (James Harrison), I say you let Joey walk and use that money to sign Ike to a contract extension because, as others have said, it is difficult to replace a shutdown corner. All of this, of course, is dependent on Ike having a great season and solidifying his status as a true shutdown corner.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 08-04-2006 at 10:21 AM.
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,776 Times in 2,670 Posts

Unfortunately, I believe Joey Porter is gone even if Taylor also departs.

Joey has hit the age for an OLB to start slowing down. The big contract for players in Joey's position is the one you sign after your initial draft contract expires, which Joey alrerady has done.

Someone will pay more than the Steelers can handle for Joey's services.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #13
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Let's face it, Joey is also getting hurt to frequent (at least for my tastes). The Steelers are known in the past to let those type of players go bye-bye. It is definitely a good problem to have when all of your players are performing at their peak! However, as has been proven with a lot of former Steelers, it is more of the system they are in, then the talent alone.

I'd rather keep Troy and Ben if it comes down to it. However, I'd like to see the Steelers ante up some cash for everyone and everyone reduce their personal take to keep the team together longer! (unrealistic)

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #14
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
Your son is a very wise 12 year old, LLT. Good job Dad!

I just don't believe that a 1 year starter, no matter how good he played last season, is a higher priority than getting Ben and Taz signed to long term deals.
Me either..that is the two that I thought are higher priority also...but really, who else is could be considered before Ike...I put him as #3 on this team right now behind those two...if made to cut players.
He is THAT important to me.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #15
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

But an eight figure signing bonus? Seriously. We may want to say throw down and let's move on. But each move sets precedent for all future signings.

We have incredible balance on defense right now. I'm guessing equitable compensation is going to keep the peace. And the question marks aren't screaming eight figures yet.

Even Hines didn't get that.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #16
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I like Ike Taylor and I hope the Steelers resign him. But come on saying he is a shut down corner is crazy. He is far from a shut down corner. Ike is still young and could develop into a elite corner. I think Ike made solid strides last year and should continue to improve. But who knows? This season Ike could get burned left and right. So with that asking price if its true. I think the Steelers should take the wait and see approach. But if they can get a reasonable deal worked out then resign him now.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #17
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
I like Ike Taylor and I hope the Steelers resign him. But come on saying he is a shut down corner is crazy. He is far from a shut down corner. Ike is still young and could develop into a elite corner. I think Ike made solid strides last year and should continue to improve. But who knows? This season Ike could get burned left and right. So with that asking price if its true. I think the Steelers should take the wait and see approach. But if they can get a reasonable deal worked out then resign him now.
I like how Ike said it himself ""I want to be one of the guys that people talk about," Taylor says. "You know, 'Ike Taylor, he's come a long ways, so now we can put him down as a shut-down, lock-down corner.' I still got question marks out there, like, 'Can he do it?' I'm trying to answer all those question marks.' " That is the sign of someone who knows he has room for improvement

But look at the numbers!!! ...led the NFL in passes defended, with 25. In 20 games, he kept the opposing team's top wide receiver out of the end zone.. in 18, including all four playoff games. He did exactly what you'd expect from your left cornerback, which is to shut down the opposing team's top receiver.

The upside on this guy is through the roof...and he WILL be a premier player!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #18
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth
But look at the numbers!!! ...led the NFL in passes defended, with 25. In 20 games, he kept the opposing team's top wide receiver out of the end zone.. in 18, including all four playoff games. He did exactly what you'd expect from your left cornerback, which is to shut down the opposing team's top receiver.

I understand what you're saying here, LLT, but I still have to go with my original thoughts here.

The Steelers are going to have to come up with some big bucks to keep both Ben and Taz in the black and gold. That is a given. Both of these guys have played more than one season as a starter and have consistently proven themselves worthy of much more generous contracts. While I have no doubt whatsoever that Ike is going to be a premier CB in this league, I would take the wait and see approach simply because there have been one-hit wonders not only on the Steelers team, but around the NFL. From an owner's standpoint, fool me once, fool me twice - you know the rest. As much as I liked Tommy Maddox, he is a prime example of what I'm trying to convey here. He was given a huge raise after the 2002 season when he set several Steelers records and played admirably. In the 2003 season, he slumped horribly and continued on a downward spiral. While some of his downfall can be attributed to his injuries (neck, spine, elbow), the fact remains that in the eyes of the beholder, he can be categorized as a one-hit wonder.

The Rooneys are some of the classiest people in the NFL and truly care about each and every guy on that team, but they are businessmen first and foremost.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #19
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth
I like how Ike said it himself ""I want to be one of the guys that people talk about," Taylor says. "You know, 'Ike Taylor, he's come a long ways, so now we can put him down as a shut-down, lock-down corner.' I still got question marks out there, like, 'Can he do it?' I'm trying to answer all those question marks.' " That is the sign of someone who knows he has room for improvement

I never said that Ike didn't have a good year last year. I was very pleased with Ike's play last year and he should only improve. But I do not think he is a top five corner in this league yet. Hell I think it would be hard to put him in the top 10. What I like about Ike is that he play the run. If you want to be a DB in the Steelers defense you must be able to tackle and play the run. Ike can do that and I must say might be one of the best DB's in playing the run in the NFL.

As for his pass defense in which he made giant strides last year and at least showed he can be a very good cover corner in the NFL one day. I just think he has some work to do before calling him as shut down corner. True he held his own against some of the best WR's in the NFL last year. But he did get some help against those WR's. It wasn't like Ike completely shut down one side of the field last year....teams still threw at Ike Taylor. Also Ike please hold onto some of those damn INT's.

But I want the Steelers to resign Ike. He has alot of potential. I just think they should be careful with Ike. With the asking price that Ike might want. Don't know if its true. I think the Steelers should take the wait see approach this year.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #20
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

good read......i respect ike more and more each time i read an article on him. and if he leaves for more money i will still respect him cause he didn't act like a little bitch to get more money. he worked hard to get what he wants. i hope we can keep him but i rather wait because i don't want us to over pay him and then not have the money for polamalu
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote