Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
Polamalu43Defense!
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1897
Default Thursday Morning Coffee Talk (With a Shot of Baileys) Steelers @ Titans

So tonight is a pretty big game. Win or bust this season in my eyes. Not ganna lie this game worries me a bit and here is why...

For one, it's another trap game. @Tennessee on Prime Time Television against a team that desperately needs a win. Though Hasslebeck doesn't scare me as much as he did going into Superbowl 40 back when, he still can throw and honestly I believe he is the better option at QB for Tennessee when it comes down to it. Locker is still wet under the ears and needs that veteran QB like Hasslebeck still to show him the way.

The second reason why this game makes me nervous is the defense of the Steelers still not being healthy. Yes, Harrison is back but can him and Timmons carry the load all night, or does Chris Johnson show why he's still Chris Johnson.

Which brings me to my third reason why I am nervous and that is will Chris Johnson wanna get off his stack of millions and show why he earned those millions tonight? Even if he does awful for the rest of the season (and yes, he is that awful... just check my fantasy team! Starting Mendy over him this week!) he might want to try and show boat some of his skills on Prime Time. Pretty sure Deion, M. Faulk, and the rest of those yuppies would eat up a comeback game if he has one later tonight.

So this game concerns me tonight as it gets closer to game time. Yes, it sounds like an easy opponent on paper but with injuries on the D and the Titans fighting for a season this worries me. Especially it being an away game. Thoughts?

It's game day...
Old 10-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148
Default Re: Thursday Morning Coffee Talk (With a Shot of Baileys) Steelers @ Titans

First off, I don't think a loss here is a "bust" for the season by any stretch. I have concerns over every game whether or not we are beating teams by 30 or just squeeking out wins. This is the NFL, any given game day right?
That being said, i expect a Steelers win tonight and maybe by double digits, and heres' why.

We weren't sharp against Philly on offense, that should change. THis will be Mendy's second game back ( I can see 100 yards rushing for him) and I really don't expect to see another game of WR dropsies like we saw against the Eagles.
Defensively, If Timmons is used the way he was against Philly, I can't really see CJ getting untracked. Our DL played better at the point of attack and if we can cut the penalties in half on both O and D this should be a very big win.
I was impressed with Worilds against Philly and hopefully he builds on that performance. If we are able to bring the same pressure , it will result in more sacks and turnovers as Hasselbeck isnt nearly as mobile as Vick.
Just my opinion though, I tend to be very optimistic on game day and try not to succumb to the "if we don't win our season is over" mentality that a lot of posters have on this site.
Yes we have injuries, but champions overcome those injuries and we will see where this group is headed. I still think a 12-4 or 11-5 record is extremely possible. Remember our Offense hasn't really "jelled" yet and it will come sooner than later.

Steelers 31 Titans 14

Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:02 AM   #3
Polamalu43Defense!
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1897
Default Re: Thursday Morning Coffee Talk (With a Shot of Baileys) Steelers @ Titans

Well said, Rick. Let me rephrase what I said earlier about win or bust though. I do agree with you thoughts that champions over come losses as well as injuries, but it also worries me because in the past when the Steelers lost to opponents during a playoff run, it was usually to quality teams. Oakland is not a quality team and that was a trap game as soon as you saw it was in Oakland! Basically, what I meant to say was, if the Steelers lose tonight, it's going to put a lot more thought into play as when will Polamalu and Woodley be fully healthy and back, and can we hang with the big dogs (New England, Baltimore, Denver) this season or not. Not to sound like a dweller, I just wanna keep this topic going.... ya know, something to stew over until game time. I like your prediction and I'll throw mine in, too.

Steelers 28 Titans 10

Mendy 100+ 2 TDs.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
SteelerinSevern
Water Boy

Member Number: 23504

All points made were spot on. We will win. Not just win but probably lay a spanking on the Titans for multiple reasons.
On offense, were pretty much loaded with talent. The WR's won't have the dropsies like the last game. Fit in a little bit of Heath Miller and Mendenhall and we have a explosive game. We're loaded with depth at the WR position. And if the oline honestly plays like they did against the eagles, who have a damn good pass rush and dline, we will be fine.

On the defense, just let them play! Timmons was a damn monster. Just hoping it wasnt one of those once a year games where he finds himself. The dline should get excellent penetration to set Worilds and Harrison up for sucess. Put ike one on one with Britt....which may result in a few pass interference penalties lol but I want him shadowed. Let Clark blow stuff up like he always does. Call me crazy but should you think we should mix a little Robert Golden in there to see what he has?

With those thoughts out there, we will win 35-14. Thats my prediction! GO STEELERS!
SteelerinSevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,752 Times in 2,659 Posts

According to the NYT statistical model the Titans are the probable winner tonight

The numbers for my game prediction model aren’t always going to be perfect, so what I like to do is find out where the model differs most from the general consensus and then dig deeper to find out why...

The Steelers have not played like the successful versions of the recent past. Largely because of key injuries, their defense has been mediocre and has not been able to generate turnovers. Pittsburgh has been unsuccessful running the ball and stopping the run. Their success so far this season has come from a solid passing attack and a low turnover rate on offense.

In total, their fundamental statistics make them look like a fairly average team. What has been holding the Steelers back is their penalty rate. They have a league-worst rate of 0.7 penalty yards per play, while the league average is 0.4 yards per play.

Team penalties are surprisingly consistent and correlate well with game outcomes in the N.F.L. After offensive passing efficiency, penalty rate is the second-most consistent efficiency stat. Pittsburgh’s exceptionally high rate is what drops them so low in the model’s team rankings

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ng-pittsburgh/

The Steelers are no sure thing on the road against anyone

The Titans are horrible, but they are at home and have played a brutal schedule so far (New England, San Diego, Detroit, Houston and Vikings) - if the Steelers were capable of losing to Okalnd they certainly can screw up this game

A loss tonight would be worse than losing to the Eagles since it is a conference game - so it is just as much a must win as this past Sunday's game

Offfense needs to step it up and not settle for field goals
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
if the Steelers were capable of losing to Oakland they certainly can screw up this game
truth

If they waltz in there playing sloppy and ugly again they could easily blow another one on the road
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
TheDude
Draft Prospect

Tower Defense 2007 Champion!
Member Number: 24204

the good news is that Tennesse has been playing sloppy ball.
they were penalized 10 times last week.

I dont care if we win by a single point...a W, 10 days to heal up and prep for a BIG Sunday niter in Cincy...then were right back to where we wanna be

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,678 Times in 7,471 Posts
My Mood: Dead

PITT is second in TOP.
TENN is last in TOP.

So, this is what I see:

PITT 5 min drive :: FG
TENN 2 min drive :: punt
PITT 7 min drive :: TD
TENN 1 min drive :: long CJ2K TD

Half-time score: 16-7

Repeat something similar in the second half, with a final score of 31-17.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Carson Palmer was a loser till he played us, just sayin'

at least Tenn. scored 40 pts already this year - something we could be doing if our WR's stop dropping passes
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,752 Times in 2,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Carson Palmer was a loser till he played us, just sayin'

at least Tenn. scored 40 pts already this year - something we could be doing if our WR's stop dropping passes
Agreed

Brown needs to hold on to the ball when it is thrown to him and after the catch - Wallace needs to show up

IMO we are going to see some deep balls to Wallace early tonight to feed his ego
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote