Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Steelers are looking past Titans' RB Johnson

That's not a typo - I purposely altered the headline. Anytime I read quotes like this, saying that of course you're not overlooking a weaker opponent or struggling player, it's because you already have.

I'm expecting a nail biter on Thursday night.

“We’ll be taking the approach that we can’t underestimate this guy,” linebacker Chris Carter said. “He’s still a home run-type runner. He can still break an 80-yard run, so we’re focused on containing him.

“You definitely have to give a player like that respect because his résumé has looked good for years. We can’t give him any lanes, and that’s ultimately what it comes down to. He’s not the type that’s going to run over you; it’s about him getting open space.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz28tosUWqP
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,952 Times in 3,010 Posts
Default Re: Steelers are looking past Titans' RB Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
That's not a typo - I purposely altered the headline. Anytime I read quotes like this, saying that of course you're not overlooking a weaker opponent or struggling player, it's because you already have.

"We are a 2-2 team, We havent won on the road yet this year. We're not good enough to overlook any team."

-Ryan Clark
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

"We are a 2-2 team, We havent won on the road yet this year. We're not good enough to overlook any team."

-Ryan Clark
Right, more talk about not overlooking someone. It shouldn't even be a question. They sound like they're trying to convince themselves not to overlook what they think is a crappy opponent.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,952 Times in 3,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
They sound like they're trying to convince themselves not to overlook what they think is a crappy opponent.
this sounds like a bunch of

another steelerfan desperately reaching for even the smallest thing to complain about even if they have to make crap up.

[YOUTUBE]T-3Iq3XQkAw[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

We all should be used to the Steelers playing down to any teams level the last decade or so. We have not blown the doors off of many teams that we "SHOULD" have. Some how some way there will be a really bad showing but hopefully a win.

Last week the team looked like stepped on dog shit this week on prime time expect them to play down to the Titans level and make Hassleback look like a god.

That way if they do blow the doors of the Titans you can be pleasantly surprised!

Last edited by Steelerfreak58; 10-10-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Steelerfreak58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Almost every time we go in to "blow another team out" or win handily, we either just barely win in a nailbiter...or LOSE. Gotta be real careful with this one.
Also, Johnson is due to have a big game.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

I have a bad feeling this game could be similar to the Oakland game. Offense puts up good numbers, but the defense takes a dump on the road and lets a washed up, immobile, veteran QB in Hasselbeck pick them apart.

LeBeau cannot afford to coach scared in this one, even if two of his best players are out. Timmons was a disruptive force behind the line of scrimmage against Philly. He doesn't need to drop back into coverage 75% of the time.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I think the reason why the Steelers usually look lackluster on the road against a bad team is the fact that they ARE afraid of losing. They play not to lose instead of playing to win, well, the Defense does.

They come in tight and conservative, not letting the game get away from them, when in fact they are letting the game get away from them by letting the bad team hang around, instead of just playing.

Against Oakland, the Offense was loose, but the Defense was tight and scared. The Defense played very conservative and the Raiders burned it.

Last edited by Edman; 10-10-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

I'm not feeling conservative this week. I had a very bad feeling going into the Raiders game, but this week I'm thinking we lay waste to the Titans. 14+ point victory margin, and Harrison sacks Crappleback and eats part of his head.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
I think the reason why the Steelers usually look lackluster on the road against a bad team is the fact that they ARE afraid of losing. They play not to lose instead of playing to win, well, the Defense does.

They come in tight and conservative, not letting the game get away from them, when in fact they are letting the game get away from them by letting the bad team hang around, instead of just playing.

Against Oakland, the Offense was loose, but the Defense was tight and scared. The Defense played very conservative and the Raiders burned it.
In the past it was only Brady that dinked and dunked through the Steeler defense. Now other teams are catching on and lesser QBs are pulling it off. The Steelers finally beat Brady last year because they were aggressive.

A defense can only do so much with X's and O's. It's more about pressure and aggressiveness. Could they get burned a few times playing like that? Yeah, but haven't the Steelers gotten burned playing scared quite a few times already?

Would you rather have Timmons drop back into coverage, or have him in the other teams backfield wrecking havoc?
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote