Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #41
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: Ike Taylor Sucks Pt2

My best case with Ike would be for us to draft a CB this offseason that's high enough quality to be a true starter...like a top 10 in the league caliber guy. Then we cut Ike, and bring him back on a contract paying about what we would owe him anyway(3 - 4 mil a year) as our 2nd string CB.

As long as he can't catch a ball, he will continue to be targeted. The word is out that he can't catch, and he's now a zero risk target. Worst case, he bats the pass down. Otherwise he'll either get burned, hold, or draw a PI. Every QB going up against us now knows that on 3rd and long, you just go deep against Ike and lob that shit up and see if it sticks.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #42
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I think he can make a decent safety for 2-3 years, at least get something out of his pay. He is a solid tackler, can help over the top on coverage and knows the system to help new younger guys.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #43
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,051 Times in 3,366 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
I think he can make a decent safety for 2-3 years, at least get something out of his pay. He is a solid tackler, can help over the top on coverage and knows the system to help new younger guys.
i disagree, i think he would make a terrible safety. the guy's weakness is he's terrible at playing the ball, he always loses sight of it and starts knocking the receivers hands (which is why he's called for PI so much). Good safeties need to be able to play the ball, and Ike can't do that.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #44
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,805 Times in 5,678 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i disagree, i think he would make a terrible safety. the guy's weakness is he's terrible at playing the ball, he always loses sight of it and starts knocking the receivers hands (which is why he's called for PI so much). Good safeties need to be able to play the ball, and Ike can't do that.
I agree, diagnosing plays definitely would not be Ike's strength.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #45
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Ike's strong suit is getting a large contract for the opposing WR. He is making those guys millions.

There is no making this guy a safety. If they cut him now someone would pick him up before he cleared waivers.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #46
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,369 Times in 4,305 Posts

im going to ignore the internet messageboard joystick jockeys and panicing couch coordinators and pass on bill cowhers thoughts (as relayed by pat kirwan)-

there is noone currently on the depth chart who is better than ike. he will remain the starter along with keenan. the season is still young and the afc north is up for grabs but the steelers need to make defensive adjustments. instead of running the "fire zone- cover 1 or cover 3" (which ike has been more than capable of in the past) they need to switch to more "fire zone- cover 2" which essentially giving him safety help as opposed to having him trail the other teams best wr. of course this is more difficult with troy hurt and mundy shitting the bed.

i'll leave it at that and see if any of the playstation savants have any better ideas, cause to this point the majority have missed the mark by a mile with their knee jerk rants void of any plausible solution.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #47
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,510 Times in 9,933 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im going to ignore the internet messageboard joystick jockeys and panicing couch coordinators and pass on bill cowhers thoughts (as relayed by pat kirwan)-

there is noone currently on the depth chart who is better than ike. he will remain the starter along with keenan. the season is still young and the afc north is up for grabs but the steelers need to make defensive adjustments. instead of running the "fire zone- cover 1 or cover 3" (which ike has been more than capable of in the past) they need to switch to more "fire zone- cover 2" which essentially giving him safety help as opposed to having him trail the other teams best wr. of course this is more difficult with troy hurt and mundy shitting the bed.

i'll leave it at that and see if any of the playstation savants have any better ideas, cause to this point the majority have missed the mark by a mile with their knee jerk rants void of any plausible solution.
But...

I had a variation fo the Buddy Ryan 46 defense all set to go: eleven LBs. They blitz ten of them... but, get this: which ten??? Huh... huh... huh... Genius, I know.

[It works in Techmo-Bowl.]

On a realistic note, I'd like to see Cortez Allen on the field more. He played some at SS... and he has done well as the NB.

Q: Could he eventually suplant Lewis?
Q: Right now, could he suplant Ryan Mundy/Will Allen as the starting SS?
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #48
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,369 Times in 4,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

On a realistic note, I'd like to see Cortez Allen on the field more. He played some at SS... and he has done well as the NB.

Q: Could he eventually suplant Lewis?
Q: Right now, could he suplant Ryan Mundy/Will Allen as the starting SS?
Q1- anything is possible down the line, but according to this thread it is ike taylor that needs replaced, not lewis. either way, it took both ike and lewis several years to learn the defense and begin starting (hell it took polamalu an entire year) so expect it to take just as long for allen.

Q2- right now? absolutely not. mundy cant replace troy, will allen still hasnt proven capable or replacing mundy and allen certainly cant replace all three. what you are suggesting, even on a temporary basis, would pretty much be a completely different package, altogether. (think of some variation of nickel, dime, or penny.

it is very important for steelerfans to understand that todays players arent interchangable parts and they are trained to be very task specific. hardly anybody knows every position. marshall faulk is a HOFer because he knew every position on offense.

troy and clark are so dynamic together because each knows the others roles in ANY defensive scheme lebeau calls.

it is rare. on offense, we are just now getting to where all three wr's know all three positions.

there was a play last week or the week before where e. sanders was the lone WR in 13 personnel. (1rb/3te).

at this point, allen is the nickel (almost a starting position in and of itself) and learning primary back up roles of ike and lewis.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #49
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,510 Times in 9,933 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Q1- anything is possible down the line, but according to this thread it is ike taylor that needs replaced, not lewis. either way, it took both ike and lewis several years to learn the defense and begin starting (hell it took polamalu an entire year) so expect it to take just as long for allen.

Q2- right now? absolutely not. mundy cant replace troy, will allen still hasnt proven capable or replacing mundy and allen certainly cant replace all three. what you are suggesting, even on a temporary basis, would pretty much be a completely different package, altogether. (think of some variation of nickel, dime, or penny.

it is very important for steelerfans to understand that todays players arent interchangable parts and they are trained to be very task specific. hardly anybody knows every position. marshall faulk is a HOFer because he knew every position on offense.

troy and clark are so dynamic together because each knows the others roles in ANY defensive scheme lebeau calls.

it is rare. on offense, we are just now getting to where all three wr's know all three positions.

there was a play last week or the week before where e. sanders was the lone WR in 13 personnel. (1rb/3te).

at this point, allen is the nickel (almost a starting position in and of itself) and learning primary back up roles of ike and lewis.
1. Good response.

2. My questions about the questions.

Q1: Cortez came in, against INDY last year, and played really well (covering Reggie Wayne) in Ike's place. I'm not too sure that he can't eclipse Lewis by the end of the year. I understand that it usually takes time, but the kid seems to have it... and he's Carnell Lake's "project" (which mens that Lake is working with him a lot, which could speed up the learning curve).

Q2: Oh I agree... allow me to clarify.

I am not saying Cortez over Troy. I am saying Cortez over Mundy.

Against TENN, I saw Cortez Allen come in for Mundy (who was benched for a few plays)... and Mundy had come in for Will Allen (who was hurt). It might have been a different package, but I know that I saw Cortez lined up as the SS... and he played well.

Since Allen is limited, and Mundy has played poorly... well... Cortez couldn't be any worse... right?

That said, you are correct: Cortez needs to focus on CB. I agree.

Then again, if they already had him in as the SS, then possibly more of him at SS could be a good thing. Or, better yet, if it was a package (the "penny"), then maybe more of that pakcage is needed... Just an idea.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #50
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

We could always run the Giants SB Special when stopping last minute drives...send out extra defenders and eat the too many men on the field penalty. It worked flawlessly against Brady.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote