Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #31
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,610 Times in 5,208 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: What we've learned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriots View Post
I think you guys are in for a few very miserable seasons. I think your problems are just beginning and I think you're stuck with them for awhile because I think that problem is Tomlin who I very much doubt the Rooney family is going to get rid of until you crash at rock bottom and will then be faced with a need for a total rebuild. The Steelers Head Coach position has never been a revolving door. On top of that your ownership gave the league The Rooney Rule. I think Tomlin is there to stay.

The sun is about to set on Steelers nation.

In watching the game against the Titans, what I saw is the poorly managed corpse of a Bill Cowher football team. You're old and over paid.

This is the same Tomlin who failed to beat Tim Tebow in the play offs. Injured Steeler team or not, the Patriots destroyed Denver so decisively the next game I can't help but think even an injury-weakened Steeler team should have gotten a comfortable W against them.

Not rubbing salt in your wounds or anything. Just saying what I saw.

I think Tomlin is running your team into the dirt. I would be very concerned, not just for this year, but for what Tomlin might do to your football team for the remainder of the decade.

I really hope you guys can somehow get at least one win against the Ravens.
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #32
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Nvm
Old 10-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #33
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,191 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
First part of 1995 season was a train wreck - Woodson tore his ACL and O'Donnell was hurt in the season opener. After losing to bad teams including the first year Jax Jags (4-12) and Bengals (7-9) in week 7, Cowher opened up the offense as Gailey started getting involved in the playcalling, even though Erhardt was still OC, and Slash Stewart appeared .

I agree I do not see any such turnaround this season - I really expected a breakout year on offense but this team is lucky to score 24 points a game, which will not cut it with a defense in rapid decline
And that is the difference between good coaches and shitty one. Tomlin is an average coach, always has been. Has no ability to adjust. All coaches have bad games, all coaches make bad decisions that cost games, but what separates the good ones from the lousy ones is adjustments.

We can sit here and say the injuries have hurt us and we are all tired of the revolving door of the offensive line, etc. However, when we look at reality, we are leading late in games despite those injuries, and we are losing almost everyone of them at the end of them. Why? Because coach is too busy high fiving the players that are murdering their team.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #34
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,932 Times in 9,369 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
in 1995 we didn't lose to oakland (we actually beat them at their house). losing rod woodson was a huge blow in game 1 but we did have carnell lake to take his place. we have no such kind of player to replace troy or harrison. Also in that 3-4 start somewhere I believe Neil got banged up and mike tomczak had to start.

in 2005 maddox had to sub in the baltimore game, which resulted in a loss that we probably would have won with ben (lost in OT), the next game back we had to play the #1 seed Indy at home, and ben was rushed back into the lineup before he was ready. result = lopsided loss. Other than the jaguars, every team we lost to this season was a playoff team.

this year is much different. teams we are losing to are in the bottom 10. Unlike some losses we dropped in those above years, our starting QB is healthy. More power to you if you are optimistic but I'm willing to bet anyone money that we will not be going to the super bowl this year. I would like to be wrong but I'm just facing reality
Follow me here...

The offense is just starting to click, and it's only going to get better. All that they've needed in two of these games was ONE more competition (to keep the final drive alive). A miss to Heath, in OAK, led to a punt (instead of closing out the game). Likewise, in TENN, a missed pass to Heath on the final drive, forced a 54-yard FG (as opposed to moving a little closer, and kicking a chip-shot FG). Heck, even in DENV, they were a drive away from tying the game.

It's not like the Steelers aren't in these games. And, the offense is only going to get better.

The Colon had a brutal block on the TD run. And, no penalties. Once he stops holding, he is going to move the pile forward. As Marshall Faulk once said, "Give me the line; I'll duo the rest." The Colon is going to give the line... and about a yard more.

DD will come back, and he will give the line, as well.

As will Pouncey.

Now, the next few weeks will be tough, because the OL will be injured, but once it comes together, BB is going to have something that he's never had: a pocket. Sure, Gilbert will allow the occasional defender past him, but now, BB had room to step forward,

On defense, well, this is not the 2008 defense. They ARE going to give up points (but, the offense will simply outscore opponents). And, considering the 2012 passing rules, PITT's defense is basically in the same boat that every other defense is in: up sh*t creek.

TENN's average points per game on offense: 17.
TENN's offensive points against the Steelers, minus the special teams "gimme": 16.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #35
tanda10506
Team President

Tennessee had lost 4 out of their first 5 games by 21 points or more. Pouncey going out didn't seem to change much, the line dropped of when Gilbert went out, and on top of that, it's highly unlikely that our starting O lineman will all be on the field at the same time this season. As far as the defense being up s**** creek, tell that to the Niners. We're in these games because our opponents suck: the Broncos don't look so good now, the Jets look worse then us, the Raiders (no explanation necessary), Vick can't hang on to the ball, and the Titans were summed up on the first line of this post. The schedule actually gets MUCH harder. I wish I had your optimism, but the writing is on the wall.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #36
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
wait till we get beat by the Browns, then the real fun will start

the Browns have been moving the ball, both pass & run, like crazy. What i've seen so far from them does NOT bode well for our "defense".
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #37
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,932 Times in 9,369 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Tennessee had lost 4 out of their first 5 games by 21 points or more. Pouncey going out didn't seem to change much, the line dropped of when Gilbert went out, and on top of that, it's highly unlikely that our starting O lineman will all be on the field at the same time this season. As far as the defense being up s**** creek, tell that to the Niners. We're in these games because our opponents suck: the Broncos don't look so good now, the Jets look worse then us, the Raiders (no explanation necessary), Vick can't hang on to the ball, and the Titans were summed up on the first line of this post. The schedule actually gets MUCH harder. I wish I had your optimism, but the writing is on the wall.
Yes, I exhale optimism. I acknowledge that I always see the silver lining. It is who I am, and everyone knows it (My buddy texted after the game, and said, "How are you going to possibly "spin" THAT!?!").

I just don't get the same "We're effed!!!" feeling that I got in 2006 and 2009 (and in 1999). I honestly think that the deficits can be overcome.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #38
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Yeah, this is kind of how I feel. Bengals and Giants on the road look like sure losses unless the coaches change something up.

We need a new approach on D. Not sure what, but this isn't working. New players, new plan, something.

Otherwise, we're looking at two blowouts and 3-5 at best at the midway point.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #39
tanda10506
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Yeah, this is kind of how I feel. Bengals and Giants on the road look like sure losses unless the coaches change something up.

We need a new approach on D. Not sure what, but this isn't working. New players, new plan, something.

Otherwise, we're looking at two blowouts and 3-5 at best at the midway point.
Yeah and 3-5 is not even guaranteed. I don't expect us to lose to the Chiefs at home, but I also didn't expect us to lose to the Raiders or the Titans (kinda). 3-5 is out of the playoffs most likely. In 2005 some leaders stood up and they took every game as a playoff game, never looking past anybody, and did it Steelers style. The style may be a little different this time, but it's possible. But not at 3-5, this team isn't good enough to overcome that much, and I can't see us being any better then 3-5 at that point.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #40
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,511 Times in 671 Posts

In the next five weeks, we have: Cincy, Washington, Giants, Chiefs and Ravens.

I think we can handle Cincy and K.C.(even with the injuries).

But as for the rest, if we don't step it up and throw some serious "try" into those games, we're easily looking at being 4-6 and at that point there'd be nothing left to play for except draft picks.

I'll even allow for Washington to be more show than go (despite RG3), but even if that's true, we're still looking at 5-5 unless we get our shit together and start playing like we mean it.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote