Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Another late-game collapse has exposed Steelersí many woes

Almost indefensible.

The Steelers are offering no explanation for it, only promises it wonít last all season. Still, the same breakdowns keep occurring game after game, in road stadium after road stadium, in fourth quarter after fourth quarter.

And, it can be argued, against bad opponent after bad opponent.

They canít rush the passer. They canít hold a lead. They canít stop an experienced quarterback after he gets going. They canít defend downfield. And when itís over, another apparent victory now lost, they canít find a reason for it.

There once was a time under Bill Cowher when the Steelers couldnít win the big game. Now they canít win the small one. Theyíve lost to the Raiders (1-3) and Titans (2-3) and ó this must worry them ó they have two games left against the winless Browns (0-5).

Remember, this was supposed to be the soft part of the schedule

The Steelers (2-3) dropped their fourth in a row on the road dating to their mystifying playoff loss in Denver, a 26-23 setback at Tennessee on Thursday night that seemingly defied logic given how badly the Titans were playing. At the same time, it followed the pattern of the previous two losses this season.

They owned a lead in the fourth quarter, then collapsed. In Denver, it was a 17-point collapse, in Oakland it was a 13-point collapse. In this one, the Titans ó the NFLís worst defensive team and one of its worst offensive teams ó scored the final 10 points.

Opposing quarterbacks are 35 of 59 for 370 yards, four touchdowns and one interception in the fourth quarter

Against Tennessee, defensive end Ziggy Hood was invisible (his stats line was zeros across the board), while cornerback Ike Taylor was far too visible with a 25-yard pass interference penalty that resulted in a field goal and a holding call that led to Tennesseeís tying touchdown. He also was called for interference on a Kenny Britt 37-yard completion.

Keenan Lewis couldnít hold onto a sure interception that would have ended a key Tennessee drive. Titans tight end Jared Cook went undefended on a 25-yard catch that led to the game-winning field goal by Rob Bironas.

Multiple players said afterward there is plenty of time to correct what is going wrong; Foote said, ďTen games from now, people will be laughing at this,Ē

But the more the Steelers lose, the farther they keep falling behind Baltimore (4-1) in the AFC North race, even though they have yet to play a division game.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz28pD4v0b0

--------------------

sounds to me like they've identified some of the problems right there
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,853 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Another late-game collapse has exposed Steelersí many woes

Call me dumb-ass, but i'm optimistic. I have faith that we'll come together as a team over the next few weeks and steadily improve, and hopefully, we'll hit our hot-streak in December when it matters the most, just like '05. Doesn't matter if you go 6-2, as we've seen in recent years. What did it get us? We need to be firing on all cylinders going into the playoffs, NOT 5 games into the season.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,309 Times in 584 Posts

FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Call me dumb-ass.... We need to be firing on all cylinders going into the playoffs, NOT 5 games into the season.
dumbass!

Playoffs???

Playoffs???
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
dumbass!

Playoffs???

Playoffs???
Very fitting....we can't even win a game.

Bayz, with as bad as the injuries are and with as poor as some of our defenders are turning out, I still agree that it's possible. There is still enough talent left on this defense to make a few stops a game, and the offense has a lot of talent. By no means will we be dominant, but with the right attitude and better coaching, we could compete. But it would take the attitude of Joey Porter and Bill Cowher, and it would take Ben getting his 4th quarter magic back. It would also take LeBeau making a serious change. That's why I'm not optimistic, all those things would be necessary and I don't see any of them happening. But you never know, if they do make the right adjustments and start playing with heart, we could see a 2005 like team. Right now I'd just like to see us beat the scrub teams.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Call me dumb-ass, but i'm optimistic. I have faith that we'll come together as a team over the next few weeks and steadily improve, and hopefully, we'll hit our hot-streak in December when it matters the most, just like '05. Doesn't matter if you go 6-2, as we've seen in recent years. What did it get us? We need to be firing on all cylinders going into the playoffs, NOT 5 games into the season.

playoffs? lol........the only reason we won't finish dead last in the division is because the Browns started off with such a bad record (although their play doesn't indicate the record - it wouldn't surprise me to see them kick the living crap out of us).
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
TRH
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Almost indefensible.

Keenan Lewis couldnít hold onto a sure interception that would have ended a key Tennessee drive. Titans tight end Jared Cook went undefended on a 25-yard catch that led to the game-winning field goal by Rob Bironas.[/B]

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz28pD4v0b0

--------------------

sounds to me like they've identified some of the problems right there

Lewis is one of the "goats" of the game. That pass was right...there...between the numbers. No excuse for not catching that ball. That may have sealed the deal.

No wonder we're not intercepting any passes. He had a dumbfounded look on his face like "whats this??" when the ball got to him. Terrible play. You have to make that catch.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,309 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Lewis is one of the "goats" of the game. That pass was right...there...between the numbers. No excuse for not catching that ball. That may have sealed the deal.

No wonder we're not intercepting any passes. He had a dumbfounded look on his face like "whats this??" when the ball got to him. Terrible play. You have to make that catch.
First of all, you're right -- he should have easily had that pick.

That siad, I think the bigger problem is that going all the way back to last season's first loss to the Ravens, we have allowed ourselves to be in too many situations where one play makes the difference in the game and that's not "Steeler Football".

Every team plays a squeaker now and then but with us it's every week. A team with the talent we have and especially with the QB we have should not be playing nail-biters week in and week out. We should be blowing out teams on a regular basis yet we're not and the reasons for that go far deeper than just a missed pick or a dropped pass.

I think the real problem is more about coaching and game prep. than anything else and if that's true then it's going to take a lot more than healthy players and good bounces to fix that.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
TRH
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
First of all, you're right -- he should have easily had that pick.

That siad, I think the bigger problem is that going all the way back to last season's first loss to the Ravens, we have allowed ourselves to be in too many situations where one play makes the difference in the game and that's not "Steeler Football".

Every team plays a squeaker now and then but with us it's every week. A team with the talent we have and especially with the QB we have should not be playing nail-biters week in and week out. We should be blowing out teams on a regular basis yet we're not and the reasons for that go far deeper than just a missed pick or a dropped pass.

I think the real problem is more about coaching and game prep. than anything else and if that's true then it's going to take a lot more than healthy players and good bounces to fix that.

well, ya got that right. nearly EVERY game....whether its against a pathetic team....or a good team....is a nailbiter....usually riding on one or two plays, no matter which team makes them.
And you're right. Thats not Steelers football. Hell, thats not any winning team's formula.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,781 Times in 1,614 Posts

miss me yet ???

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote