Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
PATS16N0
Brady Ball-Washer

Member Number: 20804
Default Terry Bradshaw not impressed with Drew Brees.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,5891343.story

I really like Terry. In my eyes, he isn't agenda driven, unfair, or dishonest. He's a football guy, an honest one, more, I think, than a hack broadcaster or sports-journalist spin-doctor.

I think he's dead on. Drew Brees, go win a freaking football game.

I can't remember anytime, ever, in all my years of watching the NFL, a player acting like such a shameless self promoter on the level that Drew Brees has.

I remember last year against the Rams, the Saints got totally blown out. The game was totally finished, and Brees got completely shut down, but with a `W` completely out of reach, they kept him in with like 40 seconds to go to throw his pointless touchdown pass to keep his streak alive.

I've watched Barry Sanders walk away from football with Walter Payton's rushing record a season away.

I've watched Tom Brady break 100 records more impressive than Drews, and do it with more style and more credibility, without so much as an endzone celebration.

Yet every time Brees does anything, or basically manufactures a record, he wants to throw a parade for himself.

I just don't think Brees has the intangibles of a great historic quarterback.
He seems to have a great character deficiency.

Seeing him lately just makes me sick.

Terry Bradshaw is the man for being the one figure in sports-media to tell it like it is.
PATS16N0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,248 Times in 3,252 Posts
Default Re: Terry Bradshaw not impressed with Drew Brees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriots View Post
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,5891343.story

I really like Terry. In my eyes, he isn't agenda driven, unfair, or dishonest. He's a football guy, an honest one, more, I think, than a hack broadcaster or sports-journalist spin-doctor.

Terry Bradshaw is the man for being the one figure in sports-media to tell it like it is.
I give Bradshaw credit for developing a broadcasting persona that has served him well for almost 30 years - there is no way I would have seen Terry as the 70s NFL player who would have a big post-football broadcasting career.

And he was the QB for 4 Super Bowl winning Steelers teams - if he is a jerk those wins more than make up for it

That having been said, Bradshaw always has seemed to have issues with other players (he was inducted into Canton by his broadcast partner Verne Lundquist rather than a teammate (no way he would have asked Chuck Noll at the time)).

And FWIW long-time Pittsburgh sportswriter Bob Smizik, who is no rip artist, has said at various times

"I am no fan of Bradshaw the person and consider him one of the biggest phonies to ever play in this town"

"I've found Bradshaw to be a world-class phony. He'll say anything for a reaction."

"He's the biggest phony I've ever covered. The fact he ``made his peace'' with Pittsburgh does not alter that fact."

http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...ense-of-myself

http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.ph...9fdcf97&ipod=y

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...anscript-61812

My guess is Smizik is not just popping off with regard to an opinion he has repeated many times

So for once I sympathize with Ben if there are issues between #7 and #12
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i don't usually agree with Smizik but some of his Bradshaw comments, unfortunately, are true.

But in this case, i agree with Terry. I've never liked Brees. He's an absolute arrogrant pr**k, who portrays this fals image of "such a nice guy" (and thats all it is, image...), meanwhile, he constantly takes his usually arrogant pot shots at others and forced the N.O. franchise to just about mortgage their entire future so he gets paid and nobody else.
As far as play on the field, the SOB heaves the ball in the air nearly every play. Why do they even have a running back....other than to block for Brees? He threw it almost 700 times last year.
So he passed for 5000+ yards. SO WHAT.
If every QB in the league threw it almost 700 times a year, they'd have 5000+ yards and 50 TD's too. I am NOT, nor have i ever, been impressed with Brees.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
i don't usually agree with Smizik but some of his Bradshaw comments, unfortunately, are true.

But in this case, i agree with Terry. I've never liked Brees. He's an absolute arrogrant pr**k, who portrays this fals image of "such a nice guy" (and thats all it is, image...), meanwhile, he constantly takes his usually arrogant pot shots at others and forced the N.O. franchise to just about mortgage their entire future so he gets paid and nobody else.
As far as play on the field, the SOB heaves the ball in the air nearly every play. Why do they even have a running back....other than to block for Brees? He threw it almost 700 times last year.
So he passed for 5000+ yards. SO WHAT.
If every QB in the league threw it almost 700 times a year, they'd have 5000+ yards and 50 TD's too. I am NOT, nor have i ever, been impressed with Brees.
Actually NO had a pretty good running game last year...

And so what they throw a lot, since Payton and Brees got there they've consistently fielded one of the best offenses in the league. Why should they go away from what's working...to make Drew Brees appear more amicable in your eyes? Who cares...
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
Actually NO had a pretty good running game last year...

And so what they throw a lot, since Payton and Brees got there they've consistently fielded one of the best offenses in the league. Why should they go away from what's working...to make Drew Brees appear more amicable in your eyes? Who cares...
they not only throw ALOT...they throw more than anybody else...by far.
So of course Brees is going to pass for 5500 yards. Duh.

What if Ben starts heaving it up there 60, 65 times a game? He's going to have that yardage too. So these Brees "records" don't mean that much in reality.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Since Roethlisberger never attempted that many passes in a season, you can't know for a fact he'd break any records with that many attempts, but that's not the point. The point is that the Saints did have a good rushing attack last year and they've had a very good offense since Payton/Brees got there...if they have to throw exponentially more than they run to rank high in yards, points etc... who cares...your estimation of Drew Bree's ego doesn't mean a thing.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
TRH
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
Since Roethlisberger never attempted that many passes in a season, you can't know for a fact he'd break any records with that many attempts, but that's not the point. The point is that the Saints did have a good rushing attack last year and they've had a very good offense since Payton/Brees got there...if they have to throw exponentially more than they run to rank high in yards, points etc... who cares...your estimation of Drew Bree's ego doesn't mean a thing.
regardless.........
I agree w/Bradshaw on this one and my opinion of Brees (who i've found is a pompous, arrogant, a**), doesn't change. And Brees still had far more pass attempts than anyone in the league. Thats my opinion.
It may be a record, yes..........but at this point, it's not one of the great achievements in the game.