Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts
Default Bettis On Cowher's Plans

Good column by Ron Cook in today's P-G on the Bus enjoying retirement and playing golf with Tiger Woods (Bettis shot 83) in the Buick Open pro-am.

Bettis has these thoughts on Cowher's plans.

Bettis still talks to many of the Steelers -- Porter almost every day -- and keeps his finger on the team's pulse. He predicted this will be Bill Cowher's final season as coach. "I think so. I think he wants to recharge his batteries a little and be with his family. His marriage is a big issue with him. He also knows if he retires and teams try to lure him out of retirement, that's when he'll really get the big money. He knows he's not going to get $5 million or $6 million from Pittsburgh. Believe me, he understands the dynamics of the situation." And Cowher's replacement? "I think it will be Whiz [Ken Whisenhunt]," Bettis said. "That's one of the reasons he didn't leave [to take the Oakland Raiders' job]."

This scenario generally makes sense to me, although the veiled shot at the Rooneys being tight with a $ does not - if Cowher leaves after this season I do not believe it will in any way be becuase the Rooneys will not pay him what he is worth.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06218/711452-87.stm
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410
Default Re: Bettis On Cowher's Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Good column by Ron Cook in today's P-G on the Bus enjoying retirement and playing golf with Tiger Woods (Bettis shot 83) in the Buick Open pro-am.

Bettis has these thoughts on Cowher's plans.

Bettis still talks to many of the Steelers -- Porter almost every day -- and keeps his finger on the team's pulse. He predicted this will be Bill Cowher's final season as coach. "I think so. I think he wants to recharge his batteries a little and be with his family. His marriage is a big issue with him. He also knows if he retires and teams try to lure him out of retirement, that's when he'll really get the big money. He knows he's not going to get $5 million or $6 million from Pittsburgh. Believe me, he understands the dynamics of the situation." And Cowher's replacement? "I think it will be Whiz [Ken Whisenhunt]," Bettis said. "That's one of the reasons he didn't leave [to take the Oakland Raiders' job]."

This scenario generally makes sense to me, although the veiled shot at the Rooneys being tight with a $ does not - if Cowher leaves after this season I do not believe it will in any way be becuase the Rooneys will not pay him what he is worth.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06218/711452-87.stm

I pray to God that Whiz would get the job.....He'd be my first choice!

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

[QUOTE]He also knows if he retires and teams try to lure him out of retirement, that's when he'll really get the big money.[QUOTE]

While I understand that I may be looking at this from an emotional point of view, it's hard for me to imagaine that Cowher would come back and coach for another team.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

[QUOTE=floodcitygirl][QUOTE]He also knows if he retires and teams try to lure him out of retirement, that's when he'll really get the big money.
Quote:

While I understand that I may be looking at this from an emotional point of view, it's hard for me to imagaine that Cowher would come back and coach for another team.
Not hard for me - if you look at most of the SB winning coaches who voluntarily retired (Gibbs, Parcells, Ditka, Vermeil, Lombardi, Seifert, Johnson) most came back with another team - about the only one who had a lot of coaching left in him was Walsh when he stepped down in 1988. Shula and Noll both clearly were done with coaching and neither of them retired anywhere close to their coaching peaks.

I look for Cowher to come back after a few years off somehere that gives him a piece of ownership.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 08-06-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

ya, i just dont see Cowher on another team...
Old 08-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #6
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Cowher on another team is like the Pope converting to Islam......

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

I see him at NC State before I see him in the NFL again.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
He also knows if he retires and teams try to lure him out of retirement, that's when he'll really get the big money. He knows he's not going to get $5 million or $6 million from Pittsburgh. Believe me, he understands the dynamics of the situation."
This is precisely why I have always maintained that all of this retirement talk is nothing more than a ploy to get the Rooneys to pay him what the top coaches are making. Remember, he has done this before - the last time he was given a contract extension, as a matter of fact. If the Steelers show him the money, he isn't going anywhere - bank on that.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
I see him at NC State before I see him in the NFL again.
Despite the emotional ties, I can't see a return to NC State - NC State will not pay him what the Steelers are paying him now; NC State is a second tier ACC program and Cowher has no interest in getting run over by Miami & Florida State on a regular basis; and a successful NFL head coach will not want to deal with what is required to suck up to boosters & recruit high school kids - Bill Walsh went to Stanford after the 49ers and, as I recall, he lasted about 2 years.

When Cowher returns it will be to a major NFL media market (New York, Chicago, or whenever LA gets a franchise again)

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 08-06-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Terrible thought here, Cowher retires after the season. Browns continue to stink for next 5 years, fire Romeo, and hire Cowher!

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote