Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #11
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784
Default Re: Bettis On Cowher's Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life
Terrible thought here, Cowher retires after the season. Browns continue to stink for next 5 years, fire Romeo, and hire Cowher!
NOOOOOOO!!!!! Now I'm going to have nightmares!
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #12
Polamalu43
Team Captain

Member Number: 2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58
I pray to God that Whiz would get the job.....He'd be my first choice!
yeah i feel the same, but i don't think he will..

who would u guys want as our next steelers coach?? WHAT ABOUT PAT HILL FROM FRESNO STATE??

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack lambert
Polamalu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #13
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,205 Times in 605 Posts

Its all a ploy to get Rooney to pay him big jack. No doubt. The riggers of coaching are horendous execpt for the Bill Cowher's of the world. What the hell is he gonna do for 18 hours throughout the day at home? Yah I get the whole spend time with the family, but do u think his girls will be with him for even 4 or 5 of those 18 hours? They have their own lives, friends, activities. Ya he'll be with his wife, but after 3 or 4 months, I think that might get boring every single day mowing the lawns and talking about bills.

Guys like Cowher, Gruden, Parcells live for football and thats all they know and thats all their passion is. If he does retire, he will be back and I look for him to take over the Carolina job if John Fox has a couple bad seasons......
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #14
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
This is precisely why I have always maintained that all of this retirement talk is nothing more than a ploy to get the Rooneys to pay him what the top coaches are making. Remember, he has done this before - the last time he was given a contract extension, as a matter of fact. If the Steelers show him the money, he isn't going anywhere - bank on that.
But that was when there was no one suitable to replace Cowher. This is uncharted territory. Whiz is becoming a guy who looks to be harder to replace the more Ben develops.

Cowher's stamp on this organization is complete. And that won't go away next season because it is ingrained in the leadership - of course three years down the road who knows. Whiz is getting his HC job somewhere.

Can we afford to lose him?
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #15
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

If Cowher and the Steelers repeat the 2005 season and take the 41st Lombardi trophy, I see him going out on top, as I assume most NFL coaches would want to do. That is a coach's ultimate dream. If not, I see him possibly sticking out one more season and honoring the final year in his contract. Bill Cowher is an honorable man.

I doubt if he'll shrink away into retirement. As well spoken and knowledgeable as he is, along with having a great sense of humor, I think there would be an analyst job calling his name with one of the major networks.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,309 Times in 3,647 Posts

If anyone has an opportunity to watch the 1 hour show on John Madden going into the Hall Of Fame that ran on NFL Network several nights ago there are some parallels to Cowher's situation.

We all know about Cowher's playoff disappointments, but Madden lost conference championhip games to the eventual Super Bowl champ five times (and also the Immaculate Reception game) before the Raiders won in 1976. Madden said he knew he lost to excellent teams before winning it all, but that winning the Super Bowl was vindication for his career as a coach. Altough Madden was still a realtively young coach, after the Raiders lost the 1977 AFC Championship he was gone after the 1978 season.

In some ways, having been close so many times before winning it all may have given Cowher the "been there/done that" attitude Madden quickly reached. Cowher obviously will give his all this season, but I believe he wants to leave close to the top and not go through another gut wrenching season like 1999 or 2003 or hang around too long, as Landry, Shula, and (ahate to say it) Noll did.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #17
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Despite the emotional ties, I can't see a return to NC State - NC State will not pay him what the Steelers are paying him now; NC State is a second tier ACC program and Cowher has no interest in getting run over by Miami & Florida State on a regular basis; and a successful NFL head coach will not want to deal with what is required to suck up to boosters & recruit high school kids - Bill Walsh went to Stanford after the 49ers and, as I recall, he lasted about 2 years.

When Cowher returns it will be to a major NFL media market (New York, Chicago, or whenever LA gets a franchise again)
If coaching in Pittsburgh is taking a toll on him, he'd wouldn't last 5 seasons in New York or Chicago. Fans and sportwriters in those two towns live to destroy sports icons. Ozzie Guillen won a World Series in Chicago and he still has to put up with people like Jay Mariotti. Pencil necks like Mike Lupica make life miserable for anyone in New York because that town is so backwards when it comes to their priorities.

And I doubt that LA is an option because any team the NFL puts out there won't last 10 years because LA is the worst sports city in America.

I don't know, If Coach walks away I think he'll be done. He might do some clinics and some shows but it's hard to walk away for even 2 or 3 years and still have the touch.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #18
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Apologies if this information has already been posted, but how much does Bill Cowher earn each year?

And where does it put him in the NFL coaches pay scale?

I have to be honest, I totally agree with being frugal with players salaries and the like, as it is essential for keeping a deep, talented squad but why wouldnt you make Cowher one of the top 5 best paid coaches?

This is assuming he isn't already in that group.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:08 PM   #19
Polamalu43
Team Captain

Member Number: 2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
If coaching in Pittsburgh is taking a toll on him, he'd wouldn't last 5 seasons in New York or Chicago. Fans and sportwriters in those two towns live to destroy sports icons. Ozzie Guillen won a World Series in Chicago and he still has to put up with people like Jay Mariotti. Pencil necks like Mike Lupica make life miserable for anyone in New York because that town is so backwards when it comes to their priorities.

And I doubt that LA is an option because any team the NFL puts out there won't last 10 years because LA is the worst sports city in America.

I don't know, If Coach walks away I think he'll be done. He might do some clinics and some shows but it's hard to walk away for even 2 or 3 years and still have the touch.
Actually we are gonna get a NFL team here in LA.. Why does everybody always hate on LA? Jealous? Maybe. And IMO AZ is the worst place for sports.. Cards suck.diamond backs suck,the suns suck, ASU sucks,Arizona sucks lol and the list goes on ...

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack lambert
Polamalu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #20
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Arizona is a bad place for sports, there's no doubt about that. I'm here because this where the Air Force sent me. Know a little about someone before you make personal attacks next time.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote