Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,846 Times in 5,695 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Hows the backfield looking for sunday?

Five ruled out for Sunday; Ben is fine

Posted by Teresa Varley on October 19, 2012

Running backs Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman, as well as safety Troy Polamalu, tackle Marcus Gilbert and linebacker Chris Carter have been ruled out for Sunday night’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, however, fully participated in practice on Friday after a minor ankle injury in practice on Thursday forced him to miss the last few minutes.

“This is a lot of overkill for nothing,” said Roethlisberger when answering questions about the injury following Friday’s practice. “I knew I would be fine. I was fine. I just rolled it, nothing big. It was good to get back out there and practice.

“It’s no big deal. I practiced today, am ready to go, I didn’t miss a play.”

Center Maurkice Pouncey (knee) is questionable for Sunday, while linebackers Lawrence Timmons (foot) and Brandon Johnson (hamstring) are probable and both fully practiced on Friday.

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/10/19/...y-ben-is-fine/
Old 10-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Oh how I long for a healthy team
No team will ever make it through a season healthy. Get used to it. The problem is, at least on defense, the cupboard appears to be bare.

I think the last few defensive drafts are going to come back and haunt this team unless a new system next year reveals hidden talent.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

At least Mendenhall will have time to write is column for the Huffington post.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #14
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
No team will ever make it through a season healthy. Get used to it. The problem is, at least on defense, the cupboard appears to be bare.

I think the last few defensive drafts are going to come back and haunt this team unless a new system next year reveals hidden talent.
Agree with you to a point. The fact is we draft too low to really get the impact players on D that most people want to have here. Especially in the secondary. Unless we trade numerous picks to move up, something i don't think is always the best course. I thought we had a great draft this past draft, until the injury hit us with DeCastro and then Spence. I thought.
Spence was going to be a huge difference maker for us, he may still be but that will depend on recovery. I also think Heywood will be a good layer for us, not so sure about Ziggy though.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #15
TIMEsteelersfan
Water Boy

Member Number: 24452

What's been surprising to me is that Redman, and not Dwyer, has been splitting carries with Mendy the last two games. I felt like Dwyer performed better than Redman during Mendy's absence. Yet there he was, riding the pine.

Rainey has been totally ineffective in his few opportunities, I think that's why Batch has been getting some PT. I think Rainey is just a little hesitant... he needs to get walloped a few times so he can get over it and get on with his career. The kid could be a game changer no doubt.
TIMEsteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #16
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEsteelersfan View Post
What's been surprising to me is that Redman, and not Dwyer, has been splitting carries with Mendy the last two games. I felt like Dwyer performed better than Redman during Mendy's absence. Yet there he was, riding the pine.

Rainey has been totally ineffective in his few opportunities, I think that's why Batch has been getting some PT. I think Rainey is just a little hesitant... he needs to get walloped a few times so he can get over it and get on with his career. The kid could be a game changer no doubt.
Rainey needs to be more of a receiver than runner. Dwyer wasn't getting carries recently because he was hurt.

We heard a lot about what these guys did in spot duty last year and how they were better than Mendy. Difference being when you're asked to carry the load, your body takes a beating. Don't think any of our backups was ready for that.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
TIMEsteelersfan
Water Boy

Member Number: 24452

maddog,

I agree, Rainey's best attribute will be as a receiver out of the backfield, no doubt. But he's still been hesitant IMO.

As for Dwyer, he was not on the injury report... he was simply the odd man out... that's why I'm surprised Redman dressed and he didn't.

Quote:
Dwyer has not pulled on a uniform the past two games after Mendenhall returned from his ACL injury. He was the odd back out because they had their top two backs, their third-down back in Baron Batch and their wild-card scatback, Chris Rainey.

"The way it all happened, it made it look like I wasn't playing because I fumbled and things like that," Dwyer said. "It was all a numbers game."

Dwyer lost a fumble at the Steelers' 31 in the third game, the Oakland Raiders recovered and polished off a short drive with a touchdown to tie the score, 14-14, late in the second quarter.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz29r0exYTX
TIMEsteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #18
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

How's the backfield look? Non-existent, yet again.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #19
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,846 Times in 5,695 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Dwyer in position to carry run game

10/20/2012
BY F. DALE LOLLEY

PITTSBURGH – The lineup just keep changing for the Steelers.

And not by choice.

While linebacker LaMarr Woodley will be back for the Steelers’ crucial game Sunday night at Cincinnati (3-3) after sitting out last week with a hamstring strain, Pittsburgh (2-3) will be without its two leading rushers against the Bengals.

Both Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman were declared out for Sunday’s game on Friday by head coach Mike Tomlin, meaning thirdstringer Jonathan Dwyer will get his first start this season.

Mendenhall aggravated his Achilles’ tendon in last week’s 26-23 loss at Tennessee, while Redman suffered a sprained ankle.

Dwyer, who has not been active the past two games after losing a fumble in a loss at Oakland, will be backed up by Baron Batch and rookie Chris Rainey.

“He hasn’t played in a couple weeks,” said wide receiver Mike Wallace of Dwyer. “This is a chance to get his helmet back and do some good things out there.”

While Mendenhall and Redman will be out, the Steelers are hopeful that center Maurkice Pouncey will play. Pouncey went through individual workouts again Friday after suffering a sprained MCL against the Titans and is questionable to play against the Bengals.

If he is unable to play, Doug Legursky would start at center and anchor an offensive line already missing starting right tackle Marcus Gilbert, who will miss at least a month with a torn tendon in his ankle.

Rookie Mike Adams will make his first career start in place of Gilbert.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who left practice Thursday after rolling his ankle, was back Friday and is not listed on the Steelers’ injury report.

In addition to Mendenhall, Redman and Gilbert, linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring) and safety Troy Polamalu (calf) are out for the Steelers.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...steelers-dwyer
Old 10-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #20
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Gonna be a passing day.

Regardless of the backs, we probably will be at 75% strenght on the OLINE and missig 2-3 people during the game.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote