Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: barret brooks arrest last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge
Since the Steelers are in Training Camp I would assume there is a team curfew and bedcheck up at Latrobe???
Even if not it's nice to see Barrett still has enough extra energy to be out and about at 2:30am.
Please correct me if I'm wrong here (probably am), but didn't the incident with Bettis and the PSU chick who admitted that she made up the rape accusations occur during training camp?

With Brooks, my only guess is that since they had Sunday off maybe he (or the team in general) got a curfew break?

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-07-2006 at 05:23 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:54 PM   #22
70c10
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1866

Hopefully Troy don't have a bike!
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #23
bratsinmybelly
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2703

Pathetic.........can we please end this sordid affair with a second tier player. As if we don't have enough distractions already. Let's at least save the ink for players worth the effort. Just pathetic!!!
bratsinmybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #24
bratsinmybelly
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2703

By pathetic I mean Brooks, and by ink I mean the press.
bratsinmybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #25
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43

With Brooks, my only guess is that since they had Sunday off maybe he (or the team in general) got a curfew break?
My mistake!! I didn't know that the players had Sunday off.
Does the day off mean that the players don't have to be accountable for there whereabouts the night before??
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:57 PM   #26
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge
My mistake!! I didn't know that the players had Sunday off.
Does the day off mean that the players don't have to be accountable for there whereabouts the night before??
No idea. I was just putting that "guess" out there. I'm not even sure the Sunday off had anything to do with Brooks being in Pittsburgh.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #27
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

He is denying everything other than running from the cops. I guess he just ran to run...........gotta be that Steeler drive:)
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:31 AM   #28
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Eitherway, Cowher is not very happy about the whole situation...........

Lineman's arrest disappoints Cowher
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Steelers offensive tackle Barrett Brooks was back at St. Vincent College on Monday morning, practicing with his teammates and defending his reputation following a late-night motorcycle ride that landed him in the Allegheny County Jail early Sunday.

"I apologize to the Rooneys. The family is a great family, and they believe in not doing stuff like this," Brooks said. "But I really didn't do anything, and once things come to fruition we'll be all right.

"I was just riding a motorcycle, and that's the extent of it."

Steelers coach Bill Cowher repeatedly expressed disappointment in Brooks following yesterday afternoon's practice.

"I'm not going to go into detail, obviously, to let the judicial system work its process," Cowher said. "Internally, we discussed it. I was very disappointed in the judgment that he displayed on Saturday night, talked to the football team about it, and we'll leave it at that.

"I certainly don't condone the actions, and certainly there's a responsibility that goes with being a professional athlete and handling yourself properly. And Barrett used very poor judgment, and I was very disappointed in him."

Brooks was charged with fleeing and eluding, reckless driving, driving at an unsafe speed and stop sign violations. He was arrested at approximately 2:30 a.m. Sunday.

Brooks was not intoxicated and was not wearing a helmet, police said.

"It wasn't as it seemed, you know what I mean?" Brooks said. "But I'm here to play football, so I'm going to focus on that.

"You guys know me; 80 percent of the league knows me. I'm a down-to-earth guy. I would never put myself in a situation to do something like this, but it just so happens that this happened. It was a total miscommunication. It just wasn't the way it seemed. All the stuff that's been said was totally misinterpreted."

Brooks, 34, is preparing for his 12th NFL season and fourth with the Steelers. He appeared in all 20 regular-season and postseason games last season on special teams, and he was occasionally employed as a reserve tackle or guard.

According to Pittsburgh police Sgt. Dennis Washington, Brooks illegally passed a moving police car on the right side while driving his Yamaha motorcycle on the 1700 block of East Carson Street.

The police officer then activated his car's lights and siren and chased Brooks for several blocks, Washington said.

Brooks ran a couple of stop signs before losing control of his bike while trying to make a turn at 12th and Muriel streets, Washington said.

"He got up and attempted to get back on the bike and ride way, but the officer physically tackled him back down off the bike," Washington said. "I think (Brooks) was just worried about losing his job."

Brooks scoffed at the suggestion he'd been tackled off his bike.

"C'mon now, that's what I do for a living, you know what I'm saying?" he said.

Brooks declined to discuss more specifics regarding the incident, other than to say of the police car, "I didn't see him.

"Once everything's over I'll say something, but everything's under litigation right now, so there's really nothing to say. I'm here to play football.

"You'll see, you'll definitely see. I'm telling you guys it was totally blown out of proportion. Once you guys see, once everything comes out, you'll understand."

Brooks regretted how his involvement in the incident might reflect upon the Steelers.

"I reached out to everybody on the team, my teammates, coaches and everybody else, explained the situation (and) apologized for any negative attention brought to them," Brooks said.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-08-2006 at 06:52 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote