Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,864 Times in 2,978 Posts
Default Pssst, Deion, Big Ben was "elite" long before this

Pssst, Deion, Big Ben was "elite" long before this

By Clark Judge | Senior NFL Columnist
October 22, 2012

After Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger led the Pittsburgh Steelers to a come-from-behind defeat of Cincinnati Sunday night, former NFL star Deion Sanders -- now an analyst for the NFL Network -- said "we need to mention him as elite."

We do? I don't, and most people covering the NFL don't, either. Because we mentioned him as "elite" years ago. So there's no "need" need to repeat what most persons already know or assume.

Unless, of course, you don't know it.

Sanders was a Hall-of-Fame cornerback who seldom let an opponent get past him, which makes me wonder how he whiffed on this one and wonder where he was when Roethlisberger was piling up wins, big plays and Super Bowls appearances. Ben Roethlisberger is and has been an "elite" quarterback for years, and if that's news to Sanders maybe he should pay more attention to what matters most.

And what matters with Roethlisberger is his ability to make big plays in big games and win games of consequence. He may not produce the numbers of, say, a Drew Brees, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but there's nobody other than Brady I'd rather have for one start. Because I know Roethlisberger will win.

He's 83-36 in the regular season. He's 10-4 in the playoffs. He's 2-1 in Super Bowls.

In short, he's a Hall of Famer waiting to happen, and that's not exactly a revelation ... though it seems to be to Deion Sanders. Ben Roethlisberger did not just become an "elite quarterback" with Sunday's win or this season's performances or Sanders' declaration. He's been one for years.

Somebody pass the word to Deion.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/cl...ng-before-this
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,431 Posts
Default Re: Pssst, Deion, Big Ben was "elite" long before this

Two Super Bowl rings, franchise leading QB, 83 wins and he's not done yet. He's a future hall of famer, and no doubt an elite QB.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

FFL has ruined the game I used to love.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,197 Times in 5,984 Posts

Deion has been a BB fan for a long, long time. He routinely mentions "BB is elite"... but rarely receives any agreement (neither from his cohorts nor from most other talking heads). Again, Deion has said this many times... it just so happens that "all of a sudden", the REST of the media is starting to (finally) take notice.

DEION: BB is elite.
TALKING HEAD: Eh.

TALKING HEAD: Brees, Brady, Manning... blah, blah, blah...

TALKING HEAD: Rodgers... derpa der...

TALKING HEAD: RGIII... yadda-yadda-yadda...

TALKING HEAD: Duh, Deion... we all know that.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

It seems to be that Steeler QB's - even if they worked with Lepers and achieved world peace will never be mentioned in the same conversation with guys named Manning, Brady or Montana.

I guess I "get" why Montana always comes to the top (his stats are the stuff of legend), but even though he won 4 SB's, he wasn't the first, it took him longer and I've always believed that his success had more to do with the strange new offense created by his coach than it did with pure talent (but I'm obviously biased).

It's pretty clear in the land of the talking heads that stats are more important to them than grit or raw talent or a simple will to win and Peyton Manning is the living example of that. How many people remember when Peyton's nickname was "One and Done"? because even after he re-wrote the record book for some season, he'd lay an egg in his first playoff game and go home before the post season ever really got started. And he did that for years (funny how that never comes up...).

Yet after 15 years he has exactly one SB trophy (just like Doug Williams, Len Dawson and Jim McMahon) and despite the fact that his baby brother -- the other Manning -- has more, Peyton nonetheless dominates every talking-head conversation about NFL quarterbacks.

Meanwhile, a guy like Ben, who has won two SB's, been to 3 and who has written the book on toughness and 4th quarter comebacks is barely mentioned.
If Peyton played with a broken nose, a broken foot and was sacked or hit regularly behind an injury-riddled offensive line that sometimes couldn't stop a band of angry Girl Scouts, but STILL went on to win a SB, Steven Speilberg would be commissioned by Roger Goodell to film a documentary about him.

But in Ben's case, it's like if you sit in the movie theater after the movie and watch the credits roll, you might see his name mentioned somewhere next to "Key Grip" or "2nd Unit Gaffer" but never at the beginning where the stars' names are.

I don't get it either, but it is what it is.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanSince72 For This Useful Post:
Millers the sh!t (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

I wonder if the writer actually watches NFL Network. All I hear is praise for Big Ben from Deion. He has called him elite long before today.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703

In Mannings defense, he really has changed they way QBs play the position with the constant no-huddle all game. You always hear how guys like RGIII and Vick, etc are going to change how QBs play, but they dont and wont. Peyton did change how his position is played, just look at this current crop of QBs, more no-huddle than ever and it is moving more that way. Ex is the Cheatriots, their highspeed no huddle offense is crazy right now.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
In Mannings defense, he really has changed they way QBs play the position with the constant no-huddle all game.
Jim Kelly and the K-Gun, anybody?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Jim Kelly and the K-Gun, anybody?
Or how 'bout Dan Fouts and "Air Coryell"?

THAT was fun to watch especially when Fouts played Bradshaw on a Monday night game.
The defenses would basically take the night off and the last team to score would win.

Those were the days!
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
SteelKid212
Starter

Member Number: 13746

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Deion has been a BB fan for a long, long time. He routinely mentions "BB is elite"... but rarely receives any agreement (neither from his cohorts nor from most other talking heads). Again, Deion has said this many times... it just so happens that "all of a sudden", the REST of the media is starting to (finally) take notice.

TALKING HEAD: Eh.

TALKING HEAD: Brees, Brady, Manning... blah, blah, blah...

TALKING HEAD: Rodgers... derpa der...

TALKING HEAD: RGIII... yadda-yadda-yadda...

TALKING HEAD: Duh, Deion... we all know that.

^^

I agree on you with this 100%. Deion has been a fan of BB for a good while. others are barely taking notice.

I guess when he said "we need to mention BB as Elite" he was basically saying "YOU ALL need to start calling big ben Elite"