Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,505 Times in 3,740 Posts
Default Re: I was watching Ziggy Hood Last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Hood has been unspectacular for a first round pick but I agree that Mclendon and Heyward need more playing time. Mclendon in particular, I'm shocked at how seldom I've seen him on the field. Hampton still takes up space but is getting pushed around more then he should and Mclendon has looked much better when he's seen the field.
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

#Steelers snap count against Bengals: Keisel 47, Hood 45, Hampton 27, Heyward 7, McLendon 1.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/...90028822712323
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by defence View Post
I think you are putting too much stock into this scheme thing. I haven't been overly happy with LeBeau myself; but let's be real here. Ziggy is no beast and thats not lebeaus fault. He's had plenty of time to learn and pick up the schemes. Has it ever crossed your mind that the guy is not that good. He got destroyed on the first drive yesterday. Did you not notice cincy running right at him the whole drive. He's getting his chance to prove his worth; and as of now; he's not looking like a first rounder. And that has nothing to do with scheme.
You're right, it isn't all scheme, it's our coaching as well.

Yes, Hood isn't that good a player now. Lebeau neutered him. Filling in admirably for an injured Aaron Smith in 2010, Hood was well on his way to being a solid player, but he was punished for his production by being stuck back on the bench for a aged and ineffective Aaron Smith to start 2011 and our Run Defense fell off the tracks. Those are the FACTS and you can't dispute that.

Now we're acting surprised and disappointed when he's unspectacular now. The same thing will happen to McClendon and Heyward. Ever noticed that McClendon was incredible (In the FIRST TEAM DEFENSE NO LESS) in the 2012 preseason but we barely see him now? He's been BENCHED while we watch Casey the Hutt (Fresh off of an ACL injury) get ragdolled every play.

Wait a minute, it must be he's not that good am I right? Loyalty to decaying veterans is biting the Steelers in the ass. Too bad there are still B&G Glasses wearers for can't see that.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,017 Times in 4,561 Posts

lol... "preseason".

maybe we should get us some "workout warriors" as well.

keep in mind mclendon wasnt actually "incredible", you just bought into all the good camp reports and media hype.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
Edman
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
lol... "preseason".

maybe we should get us some "workout warriors" as well.

keep in mind mclendon wasnt actually "incredible", you just bought into all the good camp reports and media hype.
Is that so?

But hey, Casey the Hutt on the wrong side of thirty, COMING OFF AN ACL Injury, is a GREAT option, which he's proven this year that he isn't.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #15
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

Well im glad your the expert in the room and not the coach with 50+ years of NFL experience, what were the Rooneys thinking when they allowed Lebeau to stay and rid of Ariens? Hell, they should hire you, with all your arm chair knowledge and obviously impressive net forum resume, to replace a HOFer! If you really dont like the Steelers, and judging by all the crying you do no matter what, you should go root for the team of the week or sit in front of your computer wishing your fantast team was real.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #16
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,121 Times in 537 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Yeah I'm not sure I'm ready to call Mclendon anything close to "incredible" either after a good preseason, but at the same time I still think he should at least be seeing more then 1 snap a game. I know we've all heard the "old and slow" thing with this defense way too many times, but if there's one player this is true of it's Hampton, he's really just taking up space in the middle right now. I don't think he should be outright benched because his experience should not be ignored but rotating in a fresh Mclendon who has potential to be a factor in this defense really couldn't hurt.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #17
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

#Steelers snap count against Bengals: Keisel 47, Hood 45, Hampton 27, Heyward 7, McLendon 1.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/...90028822712323
^^^^That is what I have been talking about.

Heyward gets a couple snaps against the Jets and cloes out the game with a big sack-- then gets 5 touches the next week in a humbling loss to a lowly bottomfeeder.

I don't understand why they have this OCD need to keep Hampton and Kiesel in there. Watch the replays, those guys are getting owned consistently one-on-one. Snack especially.

Ziggy is serviceable if the other two guys next to him play halfway descent. But if they are stinking, he is not the elite player that can compensate like Aaron Smith was.

Mclendon and Heyward have looked like far better options everytime they received playing time over the Hutt and the Beard. I don't know why Tomlin does not play them, but heck, he's the coach, not I.

One thing I did notice, this team LACKS LEADERSHIP. All it took was a scrappy Colon and a big play by Woodley and this team came alive the other night. They can get it done, they just need somebody to light the fire under their asses. Oh and they need Taylor to not interfere.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #18
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,541 Times in 10,363 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Yeah I'm not sure I'm ready to call Mclendon anything close to "incredible" either after a good preseason, but at the same time I still think he should at least be seeing more then 1 snap a game. I know we've all heard the "old and slow" thing with this defense way too many times, but if there's one player this is true of it's Hampton, he's really just taking up space in the middle right now. I don't think he should be outright benched because his experience should not be ignored but rotating in a fresh Mclendon who has potential to be a factor in this defense really couldn't hurt.
I'm saying that he should be benched. He's the one player on defense who I think flat-out sucks. I have felt that he was declining for four years, and he is currently crap. He "was" great, but like Joel Steed in the late 90s, the game has passed him by.

Do I feel that McClendon is the answer? I have NO clue... but, I'd like to find out (rather than suffer through more of Casey the Hutt waddling around).

NOTE: If McClendon is indeed NOT the answer, then NT becomes a huge draft priority... especially after Ta'amu did his Lindsey Lohan/Halle Berry imitation.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #19
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Instead of shifting blame on them, how about Tomlin and Lebeau's insistence on keeping Casey and Brett in there? Casey is getting handled one-on-one and Keisel isn't doing much of anything either.

Putting Heyward in there and sure enough he will fail too. Hood and Heyward are not those kinds of players fit for our scheme. They're forced to play a scheme that is completely unfitting for them.

Ziggy is a One-Gap D-Lineman who does his damage attacking the line of scrimmage. He's being asked to eat space and keep linemen at bay when an attacking, disruptive lineman is what draws double teams. He's not tall enough or big enough to do that. He's a short stocky type better suited for passrushing and attacking.

Old Man Dickard doesn't want him to do that, so that's why he was benched to start 2011 after being a beast in 2010. To quote John Mitchell, we don't want "Supermen" on our Defensive Line, and that is pretty stupid shit if you ask me.
You've been singing that song and dance for a while, but Casey and Keisel weren't the ones getting driven into their own endzone every play. They got penetration on most plays. That whole first drive of the bungles took advantage of the weak link, and it was Ziggy. If that wasn't painfully obvious to you, I don't know what kind of filtered glasses you were watching the game through.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #20
Edman
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
You've been singing that song and dance for a while, but Casey and Keisel weren't the ones getting driven into their own endzone every play. They got penetration on most plays. That whole first drive of the bungles took advantage of the weak link, and it was Ziggy. If that wasn't painfully obvious to you, I don't know what kind of filtered glasses you were watching the game through.
I already admitted that Hood isn't playing well and is getting owned in the run game. The guy needs to play better.

What I'm pointing out and what some of you haven't refuted is the evidence that Hood played well in 2010, and was benched as a result. Now you're acting surprised when he isn't playing as well anymore. I brought it up because it's the reason why I believe the dude was coached down, and as a result is a mediocre bit player not living up to his first-round status. That's just what I believe.