Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:03 AM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,108 Times in 4,597 Posts
Default Re: Offensive line for the future taking shape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

That said, I do indeed remember Starks struggling (& being benched) as the RT. Stainless remembers it that way, as well...
pretty sure it was 06 (maybe 07) when starks lost his starting RT job to colon in camp, so he wasnt exactly "benched" per se, but that is just semantics.

it didnt seem to bother him much and he took it in stride, wishing colon well and pretty much conceding the better man won the job.

max is a huge, strong, giant of a man who has an incredible NICE streak, and he plays that way. some have even attempted to label him as "soft" which i dont necessarilly agree with. he is just a different breed.

players like reggie white & j. ogden, were larger than life, yet some of the nicest, most gentlemanly scholared people you could meet, but when they stepped on teh field they flipped a switch and turned into some of the meanest sons of bitches you could imagine.

max doesnt have that switch. he has plenty of great traits as a player and person (such as being enormous, loyal, and one of bens best friends) but just imagine if he played with the mean, nasty streak willie colon has.

with that being said, i am MORE than greatful to have him at league minimum salary for the past 2 years. it shows heart to come back from injury and dedication to team mates and the rooneys.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #22
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,589 Times in 1,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
That said, I do indeed remember Starks struggling (& being benched) as the RT. Stainless remembers it that way, as well...
As Tony mentioned, Starks got beat out by Colon for the RT job. Starks got the LT job when Marvel Smith's back finally gave out and the Steelers had not drafted a suitable successor. I dont think it was ever a point that Starks is a better LT than RT.

Even as far back as the Senior Bowl when Starks was in college, he got the label of a guy that doesnt have the drive to be a great blocker. He seemed to carry that to the NFL. The guy has incredible mix of size and movement skills, but never seemed interested in becoming a great OT.

Below is what Sporting News Draft Central said of Starks in 2004. :

Florida tackle Max Starks has a lot of upside because of his size and relatively quick feet. But he never reached his potential in college, where he didn't always show great effort on and off the field and was known for being somewhat soft. Starks also will have trouble against top speed rushers because he isn't effective in space.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,540 Times in 3,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i thought gilbert would be better but now I'm not so sure. Adams is definitely more talented imo but is still green. he's getting help from one of the best TE's in the business and should get better with experience on the right side.

if adams continues to progress we might even see gilbert ride the bench later this season.
Good call - Ed.B. of the P-G says Gilbert may be riding the bench even after he recovers

The line you see on Sunday likely will be with all five regulars because Mike Adams is in the process of winning the job at right tackle and Maurkice Pouncey should return at center.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-arians-firing
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #24
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,589 Times in 1,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Good call - Ed.B. of the P-G says Gilbert may be riding the bench even after he recovers

The line you see on Sunday likely will be with all five regulars because Mike Adams is in the process of winning the job at right tackle and Maurkice Pouncey should return at center.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-arians-firing
Idk. I hope Adams progresses, but watch the game from Sunday again and break down Adams play. He is nowhere as strong as Gilbert is and struggles in many areas. I am all for Adams learning at RT for now, but still think Gilbert is better than him at this point.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #25
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,706 Times in 10,416 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
pretty sure it was 06 (maybe 07) when starks lost his starting RT job to colon in camp, so he wasnt exactly "benched" per se, but that is just semantics.

it didnt seem to bother him much and he took it in stride, wishing colon well and pretty much conceding the better man won the job.

max is a huge, strong, giant of a man who has an incredible NICE streak, and he plays that way. some have even attempted to label him as "soft" which i dont necessarilly agree with. he is just a different breed.

players like reggie white & j. ogden, were larger than life, yet some of the nicest, most gentlemanly scholared people you could meet, but when they stepped on teh field they flipped a switch and turned into some of the meanest sons of bitches you could imagine.

max doesnt have that switch. he has plenty of great traits as a player and person (such as being enormous, loyal, and one of bens best friends) but just imagine if he played with the mean, nasty streak willie colon has.

with that being said, i am MORE than greatful to have him at league minimum salary for the past 2 years. it shows heart to come back from injury and dedication to team mates and the rooneys.
As always, great post Tony.

The main point (aside from the tangental discussion about Stark's play at RT), is that Stainless & I feel that:
Gilbert is currently everyone's whipping boy... when, in truth, he will eventually be really good.

He is struggling right now, but I'm optimistic, because he is following a similar path as Starks... which I think was a pretty good path, because I think that Starks was/is a good LT.

Furthermore, as El-Gonzo said, Gilbert is actually more athletic/better than Starks... which means that Gilbert could be even better than Starks. In other words, as you mentioned earlier: the future is bright.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #26
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Adams, u play RT...Starks you play LT have Gilbert back you up. DD, you got RG, Pouncy hold down the middle at C. And Colon???........SMASH!!!

~Captain AmeriBen~
EbonySteel86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #27
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts

I beat this article to the punch. Seems like many in the organization agree and mimick word for word about my predictions of the future o-line.

From the Post Gazette:

Quote:
After the Steelers drafted guard David DeCastro, they said they were moving Gilbert, who started 14 games at right tackle as a rookie in 2011, to left tackle. Then, they drafted Adams, a left tackle from Ohio State, in the second round. Then, they re-signed left tackle Max Starks.

The plan shifted. Starks would play left tackle until Adams was ready to move in, and Gilbert would remain at right tackle. But their thinking could again change, especially if Adams continues to perform well at right tackle.

Adams did not do so well as a left tackle in the preseason. One source from another team cited him as too slow-footed for the position. Quick feet are not as necessary at right tackle, a more run-blocking position and one that often has a tight end to his right and does not protect the quarterback's blind side or usually go against the opponent's top pass rusher.

On the other hand, Tomlin has said left tackle is Gilbert's more natural position, and Gilbert said he'd prefer the left side if given a choice.
Shit, almost word for word!

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2AGDGwBkX
Old 10-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #28
AgentGold007
Starter

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool

Marcus Gilbert is a good OT, but he seems highly injury prone. I can't remember too many games where he hasn't come hobbling off of the field at somepoint in time. I know injuries are part of the game, but I'm wondering if it has something to do with his technique or does he just have bad luck with injuries. Dunno. Hopefully he stays healthy and has a long prosperous career in the black and gold.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #29
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Is it me or does anyone else not see Adams growth? The dude has two left feet. All I noticed was miller saving the tight side all night in cinci and one of the few times miller went out for a pass, Ben got strip sacked.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #30
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,096 Times in 2,158 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Is it me or does anyone else not see Adams growth? The dude has two left feet. All I noticed was miller saving the tight side all night in cinci and one of the few times miller went out for a pass, Ben got strip sacked.
He's a rookie, give him a break. You're not going to see much "growth" in his first year, but he HAS been solid. One sack on his part is not only OK, it's EXPECTED. He's doing well, and I think he'll develop and grow into his spot on the line.

He was a project when we drafted him, and everyone knew that. The fact that he's starting and playing OK, is awesome.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote