Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,334 Times in 3,986 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Steelers-Vikings set for London in '13

Steelers-Vikings set for London in '13

Posted 10/16/12
Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest

Pleased with the growing fan support of football in the United Kingdom, the NFL will stage two regular season games there in 2013, with the first of those being the Minnesota Vikings hosting the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday, Sept. 29 at Wembley Stadium.

This game will be in addition to the previously announced matchup of the Jacksonville Jaguars hosting the San Francisco 49ers. That also will be played at Wembley Stadium, on Sunday, Oct. 27.

“We are excited for the opportunity to play in London in 2013 against the Minnesota Vikings,” said Steelers President Art Rooney II. “It will be an excellent chance to grow the game of football internationally, and we are thrilled that our players and Steelers fans around the world will be able to enjoy the atmosphere. We look forward to playing in historic Wembley Stadium in what we are sure will be an entertaining game for NFL fans everywhere.”

The Steelers-Vikings game will kick off at 1 p.m. EDT, and because it is a Vikings home game, it does not affect the Steelers 2013 home schedule at Heinz Field in any way. The Steelers still will play two preseason games and eight regular season games at Heinz Field next year.

“Since we started playing regular-season games in London five years ago, we have heard very clearly from our UK fans – they want more football,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who announced the schedule of 2013 games in London for at the NFL Fall Meeting in Chicago. “We are excited to play two games in London and take this next step in the growth of our game. We believe that more football will lead to more fans.”

While the Vikings previously played at Wembley during the 1983 preseason, the Steelers’ trip to London will be the franchise’s first, but that should not be taken to mean the franchise is a neophyte when it comes to playing outside the United States.

In fact, the Steelers’ trip to London will be their eighth time doing just that, even though it deserves mention that this will be their first regular season game played abroad.

The Steelers have played preseason games in Montreal twice – against the New York Giants in 1969 and the New England Patriots in 1990; they opened the 1993 preseason in Barcelona, Spain, against the San Francisco 49ers; as the defending AFC Champions, they opened the 1996 preseason in Tokyo against the San Diego Chargers; then in 1997 the Steelers and the Chicago Bears opened the 1997 preseason in Dublin where they staged the first American football game ever played in Ireland’s historic Croke Park; and in 2008 the Steelers faced the Buffalo Bills in Toronto.

And in maybe the most interesting of these games, the Steelers first traveled to Toronto in 1960 for a game against the Argonauts of the Canadian Football League, and this one was played under CFL rules, including each team fielding 12 players on offense and defense.

The Steelers are 2-0 in Montreal, with the wins over the Giants and Patriots, and they defeated the Bears in Dublin. They lost to the 49ers in Barcelona and to the Chargers in Tokyo. The team split its two games in Toronto by losing to the Bills and beating the CFL’s Argonauts.

According to the NFL, the international series of regular-season games has contributed to a 32 percent increase in fan interest in the NFL in the UK. The league also reports that television ratings also have shown substantial growth – with Sunday viewership of NFL games up 154 percent and the Super Bowl audience having increased 74 percent since 2006.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...1-11d5410b91a1
Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts
Default Steelers to play in London in 2013

@MarkKaboly_Trib - "Steelers to play in London in 2013 on Sept. 29. Regular season game, and no, Steelers won't lose a home game"

musta been decided at the owners meetings...
Old 10-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Re: Steelers to play in London in 2013

I like it, should be exciting and much better than watching us play them in the ugly ass (not to mention loud as hell) Metrodome. I always hate watching games in domes, football was meant to be played outdoors. Plus, this game will be a neutral site, essentially home game for us given our large international following, so we will minus one game we're we will have an away disadvantage.

I hope would be singing a different tune if we were losing a home game for this, make no mistake.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Well, if we have any London Steelers fans listening let me just say I will buy the tickets if you let me crash at your pad.

You have beer, right?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

I will be there. Already told the Wife. Anyone know where we can get tickets when they become available? Ticketmaster?
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

If anyone has any free tickets, I'll take those too

hey, it never hurts to ask
Old 10-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

I never got the point of doing these games. If they want to expand the league, shouldn't they be looking to Canada first? And if there's not going to be a team in the EU in the immediate future(3-5 years, say), then why play there? Most teams sell out their tickets just fine right here at home. In fact, if they absolutely have to do this crap, they should force two teams that are suffering blackouts to be sent. If they can't fill their home stadium, let them get shipped to London, IMO.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,748 Times in 2,657 Posts

Sounds like Goodell ignored Dan Rooney again

Jason La CanforaVerified ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Rooneys note they had a particular family member pushing for a game in Ireland. Commish believes build London fanbase better w/2 games there

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/s...21823576494080
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

I could totally come stay in a castle in Ireland for a game.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,450 Times in 1,639 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Dublin would be a hell of a place for an NFL game - great,great college crowd/bar scene

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote