Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default What that game showed me....

Disclaimer: I am NOT a coach, nor have I ever played a down of football at a level higher than varsity, but from that Cincy game...

...I don't think this team is lacking in talent, and I don't know how much scheme is to blame for our struggles thus far.

This team LACKS LEADERSHIP this year, more than anything else.

All it took was a spirited performance from Colon, and a big pick by Woodley, and this team came alive.

They have not played with any urgency, fire, or desire this entire season until this last game. They are missing Farrior's leadreship and Ward's voice in thelockerroom this year. Nobody else is getting these guys fired up before the games. Not even Tomlin, who is too much of a "player's coach".

If this team can find some inspiration in each game like they did against Cincy (that game should not have even been close- if not for all the costly drops by a WR we won't name here), and with all the other parts starting to come together in the weeks to come (Pouncey, Polamalu, Gibert, DeCastro, Mendenhall and Redman rejoining the starting crew), we are still in business...

S-2-7
Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
Default Re: What that game showed me....

We are not abetter team with Mendenhal, they put way to much credence that he is a top back. When he is there they think they can run, than run some more, when it doesnt work, hey... lets try it again. If it doesnt work don't do it. Let mendy go tweet ot twit or myspace it on the sideline.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,549 Times in 4,087 Posts

I completely agree with you. I think the lack of leadership is also the reason for the lack of discipline for this team. The finger pointing is going at Tomlin for this, but this kind of stuff didn't happen with Farrior and Ward being heard in the room. That being said, it looks as if Clark, Woodley and Timmons have stepped up as voices. There's been multiple articles and reports (via Kaboly, Bouchette, SteelerDepot) that these guys, especially Clark, have been vocal not only in the room but on the field as well.

The veterans have finally stepped up and said, 'we're not going to take this shit anymore' and there was no better example of this when Colon pancaked Burfict. His physicality and violent play was contagious to the rest of the line and the offense, finally giving them an identity.

This offensive line, and more importantly this team, is starting to come together. Finally.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

We need a leader on defense. Offensively we've got Ben... we've got elite WR's...we've got an elite TE....we've even got a couple damn good O-linemen that have leadership ability. On defense we are void of leadership. DL has always had that player or two that could take over a game and inspire others to play great. Not this year.

Troy was a leader on the field.... now he just sits on the sideline and watches like the rest of us. Farrior was a leader in the locker room and on the field....he knew the defense as good as anyone...he's gone. Smith was a dominating force up front and inspired others by example...he's gone.

We now have NO legit play makers on defense. Woodley is damn good - I'll give him that. but he disappears too often to be considered elite. Harrison is a shell of his former self... .he's no where near what he once was. He really fired up the defense and more importantly he got in the opponents heads...now Mr. Goodell is in his head and it looks as if he's going through the motions. Timmons has playmaking ability but can't seem to take the next step.

We've lost all ability to intimidate the opponent. We lost our swagger.

Sorry but you can't coach that... you need 2 elite players on defense if you want to be a great defense. We don't have a single one. Timmons has been on the verge for 2-3 years now...so has Woodley...but they have failed to take that next step. Harrison and Troy are history. Our #1 pick next season needs to be a LB and he needs to be a franchise LB. If not our defense will struggle to anything consistently.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madtowndrunkard For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (10-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I am not talking about playmakers-- I don't think we have any shortage of that on either side of the ball.

What I am talking about is guys not living up to their potential. The way Timmons broke out the week after we all dogged him out (on every Steelers forum out there) is proof that these guys can be much better than they are playing.

What I am talking about is leadership, not playmaking ability. They need someone to fire them up before games. Did you notice how much more aggressive and dominant they played on both sides of the ball after Colon mudwrestled his guy into the dirt on that one play?

This team does not need more playmakers-- THEY NEED MORE COWBELL!!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Maybe we should hire drew brees to come in before the game and make up some fancy white boy rap for them to chant
Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
Maybe we should hire drew brees to come in before the game and make up some fancy white boy rap for them to chant
Yo, don't front son! That shit is hot! I love when he does that shit. (I'm actually a little envious, I wish that was a Steelers thing). That would be the perfect compliment to Renegade. That to start the game, and Renegade in the second half. That shit would be crazy!

Everytime I see that, I end up with bruises all over my body from trying to run through the nearest wall.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Yup, and to see leadership I had to switch to a Ravens game,
and now that Ray Lewis is on the sideline, I'm F----ing lost.

We need someone who acts like a Crazed Dawg..........
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Maybe we can get joey Porter off the

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stb_steeler For This Useful Post:
WVABE (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
I am not talking about playmakers-- I don't think we have any shortage of that on either side of the ball.

What I am talking about is guys not living up to their potential. The way Timmons broke out the week after we all dogged him out (on every Steelers forum out there) is proof that these guys can be much better than they are playing.

What I am talking about is leadership, not playmaking ability. They need someone to fire them up before games. Did you notice how much more aggressive and dominant they played on both sides of the ball after Colon mudwrestled his guy into the dirt on that one play?

This team does not need more playmakers-- THEY NEED MORE COWBELL!!
I couldn't agree more and I think this team has been flat since they lost in the Superbowl. I have no idea how you can be paid what these guys get and not use that as motivation to get psyched up!? Shouldn't that be enough?

I also agree that Tomlin is a huge reason we look flat all the time. I think he's a great coach but I don't see him getting the guys fired up too often.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote