Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-07-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers Can't Wait to See Holmes In Lineup

Steelers can't wait to see Holmes in lineup ? once he learns how

He sat out a practice because of a sore hamstring. He was introduced to the NFL by being tackled hard by cornerback Bryant McFadden during a supposedly non-contact practice.
He also dropped a couple of passes and several punts during a sloppy Pittsburgh Steelers practice that didn't please coach Bill Cowher.

A bad opening week of camp for first-round draft pick Santonio Holmes, the former Ohio State star receiver who couldn't seem to keep himself out of trouble after being drafted in April?

Not at all.

There were missteps and missed plays, and some incorrect pass routes that were quickly corrected by Super Bowl MVP Hines Ward, who has become Holmes' training camp mentor. But the Steelers weren't disappointed with Holmes, who figures to play an important role this season now that former starting receiver Antwaan Randle El is with the Redskins.

Since the Steelers began practicing July 30, Holmes has repeatedly flashed the speed that helped him catch 53 passes for 977 yards and 11 touchdowns for the Buckeyes last season. Several times, he beat the cornerback covering him off the line of scrimmage, leading to a wide-open catch or an obvious pass interference.

And a few hours after that practice in which he repeatedly dropped the ball, Holmes made two excellent catches during an evening scrimmage ? one with three defenders near him and another near the end-zone pylon that was just short of a touchdown.

"I was very pleased," offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt said of Holmes' first week. "He was what we thought he would be as far as having good hands, explosive speed and a good route runner."

That's the side of Holmes the Steelers want to keep seeing.

There was good news for Holmes off the field, as the Memorial Day weekend disorderly conduct charge filed against him in Miami was dropped. He doesn't know if he must attend an Aug. 15 trial in Columbus, Ohio, on a domestic violence charge brought against him by the mother of one of his three children, but his lawyers are attempting to have the case dropped.

That's the side of Holmes the Steelers never want to see again, and they have warned him that any off-field incidents could lead to disciplinary action, fines or suspensions.

"I'm a young guy stepping into a great deal of things," he said. "I'm just looking forward to having a great career. I don't feel like I have to prove (anything) to anybody. I just have to get out there and show the organization that I want to play football and that's the only thing I'm here for."

It appears Holmes will press the more experienced Cedrick Wilson for playing time as the season approaches. The Steelers play their first preseason game Saturday at Arizona, and Holmes expects to play considerably, and line up to catch punts.

Of course, it will help once he learns how to line up. Several times last week, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had to motion to Holmes where to line up or to switch from one side of the field to the other.

"Right now, I'm asking a lot of questions and they're helping out a whole lot," Holmes said.

Because his college class had not yet graduated, Holmes was not permitted by NCAA rules to attend a series of coaching sessions the Steelers held following their May minicamp. His absence put Holmes behind the other rookies in learning the offense, including third-round pick Willie Reid, another receiver.

"He's got a long way to go from a mental standpoint, understanding where to line up, and as he grows in the offense we'll be able to do more things with him," Whisenhunt said.

Cowher said Holmes, like most rookies, is a work in progress.

"The more they're running routes and doing things on a repetitive basis, they'll be able to do it faster and be able to do it without thinking," Cowher said. "A lot of these guys are still thinking out there and when you're thinking, you're a step slow. Obviously, we're trying to expedite this process and when we do that, we'll be able to assess the skills he has
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Steelers Can't Wait to See Holmes In Lineup

Sounds like the kid is eager to learn and become a good fit in the Steelers offensive scheme. Sure he has a lot to learn, but with Hines mentoring him and Ben and the others giving him a few pointers, he'll get his groove down. I think Santonio wants to prove his value to the team and it appears he is off to a good start.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i hope he gets wins the starting job cause the only reason wilson isnt playing for the 49ers is because he didnt make things happen. at least we can give him a chance and hope he isnt a troy edwards (god damn him). i wouldnt care if wilson started but we need to start off fresh i think get him playin.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
Sounds like the kid is eager to learn and become a good fit in the Steelers offensive scheme. Sure he has a lot to learn, but with Hines mentoring him and Ben and the others giving him a few pointers, he'll get his groove down. I think Santonio wants to prove his value to the team and it appears he is off to a good start.
Well stated. I think some people have Randy Moss expectations for this kid coming into his first year and I don't feel that's fair. It's going to take some time but as you stated, he's learning from one of the best in the game. In my opinion, I feel he's going to have a good year while shutting up a good number of so-called "fans" who are already writing this kid off.

From what I have gathered and seen for myself this past Saturday, the kid is ready to play on the NFL level. He made some nice grabs and that boy is pretty damn fast. I'm looking forward to watching this fast paced offense in action this year.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Well stated. I think some people have Randy Moss expectations for this kid coming into his first year and I don't feel that's fair. It's going to take some time but as you stated, he's learning from one of the best in the game. In my opinion, I feel he's going to have a good year while shutting up a good number of so-called "fans" who are already writing this kid off.

From what I have gathered and seen for myself this past Saturday, the kid is ready to play on the NFL level. He made some nice grabs and that boy is pretty damn fast. I'm looking forward to watching this fast paced offense in action this year.
Hey bro, can I ask who in their right mind expects Randy Moss type rookie numbers from Santonio? Any fan that thinks well they don't have a clue. With Hines Ward and Heath Miller as the first two options in the passing game. There is noway that Holmes can put up those type of numbers. Then factor in how much the Steelers will run the ball this year. That will take chances away to. I see the Steelers having a 55 run to 45 pass ratio this year.

All I expect of Santonio this year is to be our big play guy. I think he can fill that role. I see maybe 35-40 catches for Holmes at the most and "I mean at the most". Its very possible when you factor in Cedric Wilson starting that Holmes might only catch around 20 balls this years. I'm hoping Holmes and Washington show enough to bump Cedric to the fourth spot. Nothing against Cedric and I do like the guy. But I just would like to see these youngsters step up.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Maybe Randy Moss was exaggerated on my part, but from what I have seen many are expecting huge things from this kid in his first year and I think that's very unrealistic. I expect good things this year out of him. Santonio Holmes out of Ohio State, first WR taken in the draft, some automatically feel this kid is and should be the #2 and put up huge numbers in his first season.

If I had to guess, I think Holmes will pull in between 25-30 balls this season with 2 or 3 TD's. Keep in mind, I'm basing those numbers of the assumption that he will be our #3 guy. As I've stated in another thread, I've been hearing nothing but great things pertaining to Nate Washington.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Its funny, you keep hearing about WR's needing 3 years to fully realise their potential then you get people expecting Pro-bowl numbers right off the bat.

Its certainly the case with Chad Jackson who it supposedly going to step right into the No.2 receivers spot recently vacated by David Givens.

I think Reche caldwell will be the No.2 by the start of the season - thats if Branch has signed up.

The same goes for Holmes - for some reason fans expect him to put up great numbers just to 'make up for his earlier mistakes' - when in fact they have nothing at all to do with it.

Pittsburgh and New Engalnd remain two of the toughest places for WR's to put up big numbers.

NM

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 08-07-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

why do they keep saying he's gonna be returning punts?? if he is then drafting reid was a complete waste
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86
i hope he gets wins the starting job cause the only reason wilson isnt playing for the 49ers is because he didnt make things happen. at least we can give him a chance and hope he isnt a troy edwards (god damn him). i wouldnt care if wilson started but we need to start off fresh i think get him playin.
Unless I was watching different games...Wilson sure as heck made things happen in the playoffs....
Old 08-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
Unless I was watching different games...Wilson sure as heck made things happen in the playoffs....
I agree. I think going into the season Wilson will be our #2 and I feel he earned that right during the playoffs. At the same time he has to prove that he has what it takes to keep that job (commonsense). I would not be surprised midway through the season watching Wilson in the third slot.