Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #41
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,415 Times in 2,632 Posts
My Mood: Shocked
Default Re: FRANKENSTORM: The Mother Of All Snowicanes Is Barreling Towards NYC

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christop...s-of-all-time/

Sandy's Aftermath: Damage Estimates Top $20 Billion, Among The Worst U.S. Storms Of All Time

Sandy has killed at least 33 people across six states, has left more than 6 million without power, and has absolutely crippled the mass transit system that that nation’s biggest city relies upon to function, with many subway tunnels flooded.

“The New York City subway system is 108 years old, but it has never faced a disaster as devastating as last night,” said Joe Lhota, chairman of the Metropolitan Transit Authority, this morning.

This super storm will certainly go down as one of the greatest ever to hit the United States, with damage amounts well in excess of Irene’s $10 billion hit in 2011.

EQUECAT has estimated that the damage will be on the order of $20 billion, which would put it in the neighborhood of Hurricane Ike, which struck Texas in 2008.

Insured losses will likely be more than $7 billion.

“I think the losses are going to be almost incalculable,” said New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. “We are in the midst of search and rescue missions.” Thousands of New Jersey homes have been damaged, part of the Atlantic City boardwalk destroyed, and fires raged overnight in Ocean County. In Moonachie, New Jersey, 10 miles northwest of Manhattan, a storm-weakened levy on the Hackensack River broke this morning, pouring five feet of water into the town of 2,700, forcing many to climb to their roofs.

But the most dramatic damage reports are coming out of New York City. Last night, at the height of the storm, backup power failed at NYU Langone Medical Center, prompting an emergency evacuation of patients in the middle of the night. According to this excellent on-the-scene report from CBS‘s Dana Bass, four premature infants with breathing tubes were swaddled in blankets and carried out of the hospital by nurses who ventilated them by hand.

In Queens, as many as 100 homes were destroyed in a great, wind-fanned fire despite the efforts of 190 firefighters. By one account, some rescued residents of the neighborhood had been trapped in their homes between thigh-deep floodwaters and flaming roofs.

A giant electrical transformer station on East 14th Street exploded last night in a blue-white fireball — knocking out power to most of lower Manhattan (including Forbes headquarters).

The worst damage in the Big Apple has come from the 13-foot storm surge that swamped the Battery and dozens of blocks from the South Street Seaport through the Lower East Side and into Alphabet City. The foundations of the new World Trade Center were flooded.

In the realization of a nightmare scenario, surge waters poured into subway tunnels. The Brooklyn-Battery tunnel was inundated as were seven tunnels under the East River and the Holland Tunnel connecting Manhattan to New Jersey. Pictures taken Monday night showed subway stations flooded above platforms throughout Manhattan.

The Metropolitan Transist Authority said there was no time table for getting the subways back in action. Late Monday the head of the MTA said subway service would be down for at least a week.

Just getting the water out of the system will take days of pumping, then workers will have to inspect every inch of the system for damage. The subway system is accustomed to pumping out groundwater and rainwater — dealing with 13 million gallons even on dry days. But these floodwaters are saltwater, from the ocean, which is far more corrosive to electronic gear and to metal, and could be especially damaging to decades-old subway equipment.

The damage is felt far beyond. In North Carolina, a replica of the tall ship HMS Bounty sunk yesterday after being battered by Sandy’s winds and waves. Captain Robin Walbridge went down with the ship and is presumed dead. The Coast Guard rescued 14 other crewmembers from the ship, which has featured in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. One other crewmember, Claudene Christian, was pulled from the sea, but died. (Some amazing pics of the sinking here.)

In Howard County, Maryland, the power outage at a water treatment plant has caused a massive sewage leak, with 2 million gallons of human waste pouring toward the Little Patuxent River every hour.

Speaking of gross, one concern on the minds of New Yorkers is what happens to all rats when the subway floods? Rats are good swimmers, at least in calm waters, so many of the millions of vermin are likely to have escaped the waters and scurried to the safety of buildings. One possible upside: it might be the case that the biggest, meanest, dominant rats live deeper down in the subways tunnels, and so may have drowned in the flooding. At least that’s according to tweets from Bora Zivkovic (@boraz), who writes for Scientific American. “Many will drown. Bloated carcasses will float to the top. They can swim, but not dive through pipes, upwards, in rough water,” he wrote, citing a book called “Rats.”

Among the damage reports came some hoaxes. As the storm slammed New York, CNN reported that the main trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange was under three feet of water — quickly proven untrue. There were also false reports of a fire at a hospital in Coney Island.

One story blown way out of proportion concerned an alert issued at Exelon’s Oyster Creek nuclear power plant. As surge waters rose 6.5 feet above normal, the plant sent out an alert that its water pumps might not be able to handle the deluge. No worry, though; Oyster Creek has been offline for maintenance, and the alert was made based on weather conditions, not because of any dangerous condition. Other nuclear plants were either taken offline during the storm, or taken down to reduced generation rates — with so many power outages there was no way to put their juice into the grid.

Keeping order in the days to come will be a challenge for authorities from Virginia to Michigan. Yesterday some knuckle-heads on Twitter were advertising their intentions to do some looting in Sandy’s wake. @Call_Me_WORM tweeted: “Bout to do some looting when this hurricane finally hits … gonna get a new laptop and TV … this hurricane might be the best thing to happen.”

That’s the can-do spirit!

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #42
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

It was a Stygian and tempestuous night with damage estimates of $20B. 80-100 homes in Queens are gone. People say you don't need a car in Manhattan. You don't have a car in Manhattan if you had one yesterday. Glad FEMA still exists. It may not soon.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #43
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Queens

Old 10-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #44
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,853 Times in 2,898 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #45
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

From the link of images you posted on the previous page...

This one just made me chuckle. Love wet floor sign.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
Vis (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #46
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

I didn't notice that

Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #47
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

We didn't end up getting much, except for some wind and rain, in Richmond, VA. So I think they exaggerated the impact for us (schools and government were closed for two days), but I think they were pretty close for the coastal areas.

I think the saddest part is how people totally disregarded this storm, particularly on FB and other social media. Florida residents (and I'm paraphrasing from a lot of things I saw) "Oh this only a Cat 1... we deal with this every day" kind of bullshit. Have some empathy for your fellow Americans... sheesh. At least you can stay indoors from a blizzard or ice. You can't just stay indoors from a 7-9 foot storm surge on a city that's not exactly prepared for this type of storm.

/rant
Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #48
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #49
Fire Haley
Banned

and then the looters came...

The moment a man crawled from the wreckage of a building destroyed by Superstorm Sandy... and was promptly arrested for looting

Eddie Liu arrived at his ocean-facing laundromat, American Suds, in Coney Island on Tuesday morning to find its front blasted open and filled with people.

"There were a bunch of people, like a market," Mr. Liu said.

The crowd was apparently indifferent to the area's big police presence, Mr. Lui said. They dispersed upon his arrival, but not before burglarizing his business, shattering glass displays, swiping soap and pilfering cash from the till, he said.

Witnesses said the police appeared temporarily overwhelmed by the looters. "When I came out at about 8:30 this morning, there were people coming out of all these stores, guys carrying Hefty bags," said Roger McKinon, 40 years old, who lives in the nearby O'Dwyer Garden Houses. "The crazy thing was, there were cops around but all they were saying is get out of here, go home."

By late afternoon, vans full of officers were patrolling and stopped to order small gatherings of people to disperse—triggering shouting and shoving.

Along with the damage from the storm, the prospect of vandalism and looting had some business owners uneasy and unsure of what to do.

Ali Khalid, 56, the owner of 99 Cent Express on Mermaid Avenue, said his store was looted between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. when he left to pick up a worker.

"I asked the police what I should do. They said they didn't know," he said. "I can't close the door and I'm not staying here tonight. It's scary here now."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #50
Fire Haley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Storm survival hints for the one percent
maybe not