Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Peter King on Odell Thurman

"I think we might be witnessing the ruination of an extraordinarily promising career, almost before it got started. Linebacker Odell Thurman, who had a very good rookie season in the middle for the resurgent Bengals last year, has already been suspended for the first four games of the regular season for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, and he's struggling mightily to turn his life around, from what I heard around the team on Friday night. Linebackers coach Ricky Hunley has openly challenged Thurman to be a man and to get the bad influences out of his life, and now we'll see if he is able to do it."

Point 8 from the "10 Things I Think I Think" part of this week's Monday Morning Quarterback, which also hasd a niice analysis of Palmer and Carr.

Entire article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mqb/index.html
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,748 Times in 2,657 Posts
Default Re: Peter King on Odell Thurman

If you are a Bengals fan then Peter King's MMQB column today was not good reading.

In addition to the nugget about Odell Thurman, King had this to say at the start of the column about Carson Palmer's progress:

"I keep having flashbacks to the Pittsburgh game,'' Palmer told me on Friday night under the stands at Georgetown College after his first scrimmage since his knee injury.

I thought it was a remarkable display of candor, but I would expect nothing less from Palmer. The guy can't lie. And Kimo von Oelhoffen's hit in the wild-card game seven months ago is in his head....

Clearly, what Palmer needs to be is more comfortable that he'll be able to protect himself on Sept. 10 in Kansas City when the Chiefs' two speed rushers -- defensive end Jared Allen and linebacker Derrick Johnson -- come sprinting at him. There was one play on Friday night where Palmer looked uncomfortable. He scanned the defense from the pocket as traffic closed in around him, then hurriedly threw to the left sideline to Chris Henry. The ball bounced in front of Henry. That's not Palmer. That's the rust and the flashback to the rolling hit from von Oelhoffen.

The other thing I didn't like about his evening, and I'm sure he didn't either: Palmer was 0 for 4 against the first-team defense and 4 for 5 against the second-teamers. On his first four incompletions he was uncharacteristically high on two throws. That's not Palmer. Not at all.

The Steelers also had a bumpy offseason, but it appears they are putting their offseason troubles behind them more quickly than the Bengals are.

I am glad the Steelers get Cincy at home in September while Palmer is still knocking the rust off and Thurman is suspended. I assume Palmer and Thurman both will be at full strength for the New Year's Eve season ender in Cincy.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

You know what?

I wouldnt go reading too much into TC performance - although I realise thats its all these sports writers have to go on at this time.

There is no doubt Palmer will be rusty, due to the nature of how the injury occured I dont think he will be having nightmares about DE's or LB's knocking him cold - it was a fluke injury that happend when the play was almost dead.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
You know what?

I wouldnt go reading too much into TC performance - although I realise thats its all these sports writers have to go on at this time.

There is no doubt Palmer will be rusty, due to the nature of how the injury occured I dont think he will be having nightmares about DE's or LB's knocking him cold - it was a fluke injury that happend when the play was almost dead.

NM
i would go reading into carsons words though. while coach is pressing and pushing forward it is carson being apprehensive and pulling in the reigns. isnt it usually the other way around? carson still lacks the confidence in his knee. he has stated as much. he feels he can go out and throw the ball if his coach decides thats what he should do for the sake of the team and winning.

bengals offseason has been one giant fumble from the top all the way to the bottom. im just waiting for a team trainer raping an F.O. secretary to surface.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

I'm surprised Palmer said that......

I'm sure he's being honest and candid..and normally that's to be commended...but I dunno...exposing a potential weakness in this league...be it physical or mental...is not normally a good idea...

Last edited by BlackNGold203; 08-09-2006 at 07:28 PM.
BlackNGold203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

It's very much mental...his body probably feels close to where it should but he's thinking "what might happen when I take that first big hit?"

I think once he gets back into the game and takes a hit or two, he'll get that confidence back.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85
It's very much mental...his body probably feels close to where it should but he's thinking "what might happen when I take that first big hit?"

I think once he gets back into the game and takes a hit or two, he'll get that confidence back.
actually its physical. hes already on record as saying he knows he couldnt hop "a fence".

someone with a good knee has no problem doing such a simple task.

when he is 100% ready to go and healed he will be able to hop "a fense" and all the other strenuous activities that come along with avoiding 250-300 lb pass rushers.

as we saw in the playoff game last year, hes not to good at avoiding the rush as it is.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #8
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
actually its physical. hes already on record as saying he knows he couldnt hop "a fence".

someone with a good knee has no problem doing such a simple task.

when he is 100% ready to go and healed he will be able to hop "a fense" and all the other strenuous activities that come along with avoiding 250-300 lb pass rushers.

as we saw in the playoff game last year, hes not to good at avoiding the rush as it is.
He couldn't hop an obstacle on the ground last summer either, but he did OK during the season didn't he?

I know he's not 100% at this point but he still has well over a month to prepare...I don't expect him to be 100% at the start of the regular season either, but I do expect that he will be playing and doing a suitable job. I'd say his knee brace will be twice as strong as it was last year.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote