Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-07-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2700
Default Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

to Big Bens contract. ttp://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pi...JUM&refer=home

Aug. 7 (Bloomberg) -- Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney said he won't try to add a ban on motorcycle riding to Ben Roethlisberger's contract, even after the quarterback was seriously injured after a crash in June.

``I think you need to trust your players,'' Rooney said during an interview before NFL owners meetings in Northbrook, Illinois. ``I think everyone probably learned a lesson from what happened.''

Roethlisberger, 24, who led the Steelers to a 21-10 victory over the Seattle Seahawks in last year's Super Bowl, underwent seven hours of surgery after colliding with a car in Pittsburgh. He wasn't wearing a helmet.

He broke his nose and upper and lower jaws in the crash. He also lost two teeth and sustained a mild concussion.

Roethlisberger later said that he wouldn't tape any public service messages in support of wearing a motorcycle helmet, because he didn't feel it was his place to tell others how to live their lives. He told ESPN in July that he would wear a helmet if he rides his motorcycle again.

The quarterback, who is entering his third year in the NFL, signed a six-year contract in 2004 that could be worth as much as $39.7 million. The deal included $9 million in guaranteed bonus money, $13 million in base salary and as much as $17.7 million in incentives.

Roethlisberger has recovered enough from his injuries to work out with the team at its training camp in Latrobe, Pennsylvania.

This is definitely an organization that doesn't like to play the patty cake game and add all of these do's and don't to player contracts. For the FO to come out and say how much they trust their players to make the right decisions speaks volumes and shows what A+ organization Steelers football really is.
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

Interesting tactic by Mr. Rooney. This places the ball firmly in Ben's court. Mr. Rooney is placing a lot of faith in his quaterback and it's up to his quaterback to step up and show he's worthy of that trust.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Personally, I don't agree with it. I don't see how installing the clause would have made them a F- organization. It's called protecting your interests. One that has already come close to killing himself while riding the fastest street bike manufactured on city streets minus a license or a helmet. Whatever though, it's not my call. Here's to hoping he learned his lesson. During his public statement after the accident, it left me with doubt.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-07-2006 at 01:59 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

I believe the Steelers organization is making a huge mistake in not adding a motorcycle clause to Ben's contract. Let's hope it doesn't come back to bite them.
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Personally, I don't agree with it. I don't see how installing the clause would have made them a F- organization. It's called protecting your interests. One that has already come close to killing himself while riding the fastest street bike manufactured on city streets minus a license or a helmet. Whatever though, it's not my call. Here's to hoping he learned his lesson. During his public statement after the accident, it left me with doubt.

Just my two cents.
I'm with you on this one bro. I'm a big Ben fan but I totally think the Steelers should put a motorcycle clause in Big Ben's contract. I guess oh well and we just can hope that Ben stays off the bikes until his playing days are over.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 PM   #6
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i think rooney has a point though i think trust should be good enough. i know he is young and has a lot of money but just the fact that he trust ben is really big.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

I feel the Rooney's already showed him that trust when they signed him to be their franchise QB for the future with a nice fat paycheck. I also feel they showed him that trust when they did not bother installing the motorcycle clause in his first contract. Still a bad move no matter what way you cut it in my opinion.

Since the Rooney's have showed him the trust with this most recent clause situation, he should at least have enough respect for the organization as a whole to stay off the bike until he's retired. If he doesn't, that trust shown to him by the Rooney's obviously means nothing to him. Like I said though, it's not my decision. It's a big gamble though and if Ben wants to prove to me again that off the football field he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, be my guest. Next time around, I won't be one of the ones on here feeling pitty for him if another accident occurs.

Just for the record, I can't count how many motorcycle related deaths I have read or heard about in the Pittsburgh area since the start of Summer. Many were wearing helmets. Sad story the other day in the Pittsburgh area. Two brothers. One crashed his bike and died. His other brother was on his bike on the way to his dead brother's accident scene and got hit by a car and died. Here's the story if anybody is interested: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06218/711631-100.stm

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-07-2006 at 03:08 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

I think they are showing trust and loyalty to Ben by not putting in a clause. Ben has a histroy of showing loyalty to those who show loyalty to him (coaches and such), so maybe there thinking is that if they don't make him stop riding he will sign with them and be there QB for the next 15 years.
There not gunna keep Ben come contract time if they put a clause like that in his contract. Besides that Ben's a big boy and he can make his own descions and from everything I have heard and seen from him he learns from his mistakes (see AFCC 2004 vs. AFCC 2005 BIG difference).
I think everything will be fine.

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
I guess oh well and we just can hope that Ben stays off the bikes until his playing days are over.
Unfortunately, that's all we can do at this point. I would feel alot more comfortable knowing the clause was in his contract or maybe Ben simply stating "I'm going to put the bike down until I retire since you have shown the trust (and fat contract) in me.". I guess that would be asking too much? Oh well, I've said my peace in post #7 in this thread.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:52 PM   #10
ptgnzlz7
Water Boy

Member Number: 2706

Pardon my ignorance -- but what "protection" would a clause really give them anyway? Contracts int he NFL aren't guaranteed. Whether he had a clause in his contract or not, if Big Ben did the same thing again and couldn't play, the outcome would be the same -- they'd cut his same mistake twice makin' butt.

I can see maybe on an extension when there could be some new signing bonus $$$ in play, but...

In then end we'll all be screaming for Omar Jacobs anyway.
ptgnzlz7 is offline   Reply With Quote