Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 03:52 PM   #11
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

I am firmly in the camp with the people who believe there should be a 'motorcycle clause' in Bens contract.

But I remember shortly after this incident happened that there was talk of this clause being added to his next contract - not the one he is currently honoring.

Its a possibility that they can't go back and make alterations 'after-the-fact' to an existing contract - maybe it breaks some of the CBA rules?

My guess is that Rooney's talk of 'trusting' Ben can be roughly translated as ' we cant do anything at the moment - even if we wanted to'

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #12
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgnzlz7
Pardon my ignorance -- but what "protection" would a clause really give them anyway? Contracts int he NFL aren't guaranteed. Whether he had a clause in his contract or not, if Big Ben did the same thing again and couldn't play, the outcome would be the same -- they'd cut his same mistake twice makin' butt.

I can see maybe on an extension when there could be some new signing bonus $$$ in play, but...

In then end we'll all be screaming for Omar Jacobs anyway.
Theoretically the clause would kick into action as soon as Ben stepped on to a bike, or at least stepped onto one without a helmet - he wouldnt need to actually have to have an accident in order to be breaching the terms of the contract.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #13
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend
 
83-Steelers-43's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,993
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgnzlz7
Pardon my ignorance -- but what "protection" would a clause really give them anyway? Contracts int he NFL aren't guaranteed. Whether he had a clause in his contract or not, if Big Ben did the same thing again and couldn't play, the outcome would be the same -- they'd cut his same mistake twice makin' butt.

I can see maybe on an extension when there could be some new signing bonus $$$ in play, but...

In then end we'll all be screaming for Omar Jacobs anyway.
With the clause he has two options with a clause:

Lose money from riding a bike. Accident or no accident.

or

Staying off the bike, make money and show this organization some respect.
__________________
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:59 PM   #14
ptgnzlz7
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 13
Member Number: 2706
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Theoretically the clause would kick into action as soon as Ben stepped on to a bike, or at least stepped onto one without a helmet - he wouldnt need to actually have to have an accident in order to be breaching the terms of the contract.

NM
But really, if the Steelers are 5-3 in Ocotber and Ben is seen cruising Carson Street with his hair flapping in the breeze, what are the Steelers going to do? Cut him? Fine him until he leaves as a free agent? The Steelers greatest leverage here is that he almost killed himself and contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed. He rides again and gets hurt -- it's what's ever left of theat 13 mil and the 17 mil in performance incentives he won't be getting.

I'm pretty sure there's a policy in my contract against personal use of the internet, and pretty much all it does is give my employer [another] reason to fire me any time they want, in other words, my contract isn't guaranteed.
ptgnzlz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:02 PM   #15
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 156 degrees 17' 30" W 20 degrees 55' N
Posts: 1,749
Member Number: 1645
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Personally, I don't agree with it. I don't see how installing the clause would have made them a F- organization. It's called protecting your interests. One that has already come close to killing himself while riding the fastest street bike manufactured on city streets minus a license or a helmet. Whatever though, it's not my call. Here's to hoping he learned his lesson. During his public statement after the accident, it left me with doubt.

Just my two cents.
Yes. This is a no-brainer. I think he has learned his lesson BUT the Rooney's should remove any doubt for Ben. When the motorcycle issue comes up Ben can just defer to the clause and not the fact there may be other reasons why he won't ride. He can 'save face'.

He isn't Barrett Brooks. He is the KEY MAN and KEY MAN insurance compensation won't undue the damage.

That being said I'm ready for the whole issue to be swept under the carpet.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #16
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgnzlz7
But really, if the Steelers are 5-3 in Ocotber and Ben is seen cruising Carson Street with his hair flapping in the breeze, what are the Steelers going to do? Cut him? Fine him until he leaves as a free agent? The Steelers greatest leverage here is that he almost killed himself and contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed. He rides again and gets hurt -- it's what's ever left of theat 13 mil and the 17 mil in performance incentives he won't be getting.

I'm pretty sure there's a policy in my contract against personal use of the internet, and pretty much all it does is give my employer [another] reason to fire me any time they want, in other words, my contract isn't guaranteed.
As well as Ben has played so far in his short career - if he is willing to break a specific clause in a contract with the Steelers then the the Steelers wouldnt want him.

He would end up potentially costing them to much money if they re-invested in him after his rookie contract and he had another, more serious, spill.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #17
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend
 
83-Steelers-43's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,993
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgnzlz7
But really, if the Steelers are 5-3 in Ocotber and Ben is seen cruising Carson Street with his hair flapping in the breeze, what are the Steelers going to do? Cut him? Fine him until he leaves as a free agent?
Your talking hypotheticals now.

If there was a motorcycle clause installed from the start, do you think Ben would have been driving around the city on a motorcyle while losing cash in his first and second years? Who wants to lose money? Your making it sound as if losing big bucks over that time period is no big deal. He will also leave here having a reputation of being a complete moron who cared more about himself than the others around him. If he's content with the above, then so be it. There's nothing else the Rooney's can do.

When all is said and done, it comes down to respect in my book. Obviously brains and commonsense are not there (at least that remains to be seen), but I'm now hoping that respect for your employer, fans and teammates might eventually come into place since a clause doesn't seem be in his contract future.
__________________
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #18
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer
 
AZ_Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 209
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2700
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post Re: Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

When all is said and done, regardless of a clause or not I'm sure Ben will make the right decision and hopefully not jeopardize his playing career like he did 2 months ago. We all have made stupid and dangerous mistakes and hopefully learned something from our mistakes... it's all a part of life and growing up.

Bottom line is, the FO is entrusting their players to make the decisions rather than adding a bunch of baby sitting clauses, these guys are all grown men and should be able to make decisions about what they want and don't want to do. If they choose to jeopardize a huge contract and their playing career then it's really their own choice.
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #19
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend
 
83-Steelers-43's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,993
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
He isn't Barrett Brooks. He is the KEY MAN and KEY MAN insurance compensation won't undue the damage.
Excellent point.
__________________
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:17 PM   #20
ptgnzlz7
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 13
Member Number: 2706
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Your talking hypotheticals now.

If there was a motorcycle clause installed from the start, do you think Ben would have been driving around the city on a motorcyle while losing cash in his first and second years? Who wants to lose money? Your making it sound as if losing big bucks over that time period is no big deal.

When all is said and done, it comes down to respect in my book. Obviously brains and commonsense are not there (at least that remains to be seen), but I'm now hoping that respect for your employer, fans and teammates might eventually come into place.
I basically agree with everything you are saying...losing big bucks is a big deal, that's why the Steelers insure his contract. The financial downside to Ben, having an UNGUARANTEED CONTRACT, is much greater than to the Steelers with an insured contract and sellouts as far as the eyes can see.

If Ben were to sign a contract with that clause, it would basicly be just that, a sign of respect. It doesn't really increase or decrease the Steelers risk in any way.
ptgnzlz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts