Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-07-2006, 04:24 PM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler
When all is said and done, regardless of a clause or not I'm sure Ben will make the right decision and hopefully not jeopardize his playing career like he did 2 months ago.
Here's to hoping.

Quote:
We all have made stupid and dangerous mistakes and hopefully learned something from our mistakes... it's all a part of life and growing up.
No doubt. Smart people learn from those mistakes and state they will never do them again. I'm not so sure about this situation. While Ben has stated he will ride with a helmet, he has not ruled out riding a motorcycle while under contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Bottom line is, the FO is entrusting their players to make the decisions rather than adding a bunch of baby sitting clauses,
Clauses in which many players have. One who is considered your teams future would be my first choice with clauses.

Quote:
these guys are all grown men and should be able to make decisions about what they want and don't want to do. If they choose to jeopardize a huge contract and their playing career then it's really their own choice.
Even though many times they don't act like grown men. This comes back to having the "right/choice" to do something or actually proving that you are the "supposed leader" of this football team and putting your own wants and needs on the backburner and doing what's good for the team. It's called respect or is that asking too much from athletes these days, especially from our "leader"? You don't feel there should be a mutual respect between the two parties?

The Rooney's: Ben, we will give you millions and win you Super Bowls if you can just put the bike down until your retired?

Ben: Sure Mr. Rooney.

That would be nice.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-07-2006 at 04:27 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #22
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2700

I definitely agree with the "respect" factor 83-Steelers-43. Like I said, hopefully he has learned something from his accident and it helped put a lot of things into perspective, especially being the leader of the Steelers now with the departure of Jerome. Let's just hope and pray Ben will put his personal preferences aside and put his team first until he decides to hang it up for good.

With the Rooney's saying they won't add the clause, IMO, they are basically telling Ben "Look, you made a mistake we will let that one slide. We aren't going to add a clause to your contract, but we hope you make the right decision next time" Now the ball is in Ben's court to see how he responds... Does he make the right decisions and shows everyone that he is going to be the "leader" of this team or is going to to disrespect everyone around him and who supports him... Time will tell... Unfortunately we won't have that answer until next spring.

Last edited by AZ_Steeler; 08-07-2006 at 04:38 PM.
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #23
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
I definitely agree with the "respect" factor 83-Steelers-43. Like I said, hopefully he has learned something from his accident and it helped put a lot of things into perspective, especially being the leader of the Steelers now with the departure of Jerome. Let's just hope and pray Ben will put his personal preferences aside and put his team first until he decides to hang it up for good.
Please keep in mind I respect the guy as an athlete and from what I have gathered he's good with the fans. At the same time, unlike a certain few (not meaning you by any means), I don't let that cloud my judgement of him as a player and what he should do out of pure respect for the organization simply because he's Ben Roethlisberger and not Dan Kreider or Haynes. Some only care about one player on this roster and one player only. It shows when holding a conversation dealing with other Steeler related topics.

Eitherway brother, here's to hoping he makes the right decision and we can all enjoy ring #6 in the near future.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-07-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #24
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2700

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Please keep in mind I respect the guy as an athlete and from what I have gathered he's good with the fans. At the same time, unlike a certain few (not meaning you by any means), I don't let that cloud my judgement of him as a player and what he should do out of pure respect for the organization simply because he's Ben Roethlisberger and not Dan Kreider or Haynes. Some only care about one player on this roster and one player only. It shows when holding a conversation dealing with other Steeler related topics.

Eitherway brother, here's to hoping he makes the right decision and we can all enjoy ring #6 in the near future.
Sounds good to me!!!!
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:35 AM   #25
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

Didn't I see posted here at SF somewhere right after Ben came out of the hospital from his motorcycle accident that the Steelers organization sent Ben some type of letter about this issue, or was that letter about something else? I don't remember.
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:43 AM   #26
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43

Well stated, 83, and I couldn't agree with you more. Ben has developed into a very good QB in such a short period of time and I think he is going to only get better.
His value to the team goes without saying, but he is only one wheel in the cog in the grand scheme of things. Success takes teamwork, as well as trust and confidence in each other to get the job done. I hope Mr. Rooney's approach here will really make Ben think about his actions not only affecting his play, but the team as a whole.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:50 AM   #27
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerzGirl
Didn't I see posted here at SF somewhere right after Ben came out of the hospital from his motorcycle accident that the Steelers organization sent Ben some type of letter about this issue, or was that letter about something else? I don't remember.
You are correct. Ben's agent stated that Ben received a letter from Steeler representatives warning him that parts of his contract might be affected if he were to be injured while riding a motorcyle. The letter was apparently sent in order to both put the team on solid legal footing were a major accident to occur, and apprise Ben of the risks he is taking by riding a motorcycle.

Nothing ever came of it.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-08-2006 at 06:53 AM.