Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Recapping the Steelers 27-12 victory over the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Based on what, exactly? He still has not had the opportunity to show what he is capable of doing for a full game behind this new offensive line. His future is very much in the balance over what he is able to do in these next 9+ games. Redman and Dwyer are also free agents next year, and I doubt they keep all 3, plus Batch, Rainey, and Will Johnson.
Mendenhall's very inconsistent. Granted the line hasn't been pro-bowl caliber, and it HAS held up nicely with Dwyer in, but Dwyer's providing more consistency in just two games than Mendenhall ever has in his entire career. I think Mendenhall can be an explosive back, and he's a weapon, but I doubt he'll sign a contract with us next year.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Blitzberg06
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11841

Quote:
Based on what, exactly? He still has not had the opportunity to show what he is capable of doing for a full game behind this new offensive line. His future is very much in the balance over what he is able to do in these next 9+ games. Redman and Dwyer are also free agents next year, and I doubt they keep all 3, plus Batch, Rainey, and Will Johnson.
The guy has not posted a consecutive 100 yard rushing game in his entire time with the Steelers. He seems at this point injury prone and can't stay healthy. I don't like the whole spin move and just his running style. I'm not saying Dwyer is the answer because he hasn't had enough time to show he can be consistent. I'm just saying I think they need to let Mendy go after the season is over.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Nobody has done anything with how bad the offensive line has been over the past several seasons. He showed a glimpse of his potential behind this line in that first game back, and it was clearly more than any other back on the team has to offer. Dwyer has had gigantic, Emmitt Smith-quality holes to run through thanks to Willie Colon and Mike Adams and Maurkice Pouncey the last two games. And let's not forget that this year has brought in a new offense as well that Mendenhall hasn't gotten a chance to play under much. We haven't seen what he can do. And given his career thus far, there's a reasonable chance that Mendenhall could be had for a reasonable contract anyway. But it's too early to be talking about this anyway. The answer to these questions will be determined on the field. The offensive line is starting to gel as a run blocking unit for the first time in a long time. They have a fullback again. I mean, come on, there are so many things different about this offense that are more beneficial to a running back like Mendenhall that he didn't have in years prior that it's unfair to write him off already. He needs to show what he is capable of doing in this offense over a several game stretch first.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

If it were up to me, I would leave Dwyer as the starter until he starts wearing down or becomes to inconsistant.

To me:
1- Dwyer
2- Redman
3- Mendy
4- Rainey
5- Batch

Thats the way I would roll, maybe Mendy would stay healthier.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #15
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,630 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Nobody has done anything with how bad the offensive line has been over the past several seasons. He showed a glimpse of his potential behind this line in that first game back, and it was clearly more than any other back on the team has to offer. Dwyer has had gigantic, Emmitt Smith-quality holes to run through thanks to Willie Colon and Mike Adams and Maurkice Pouncey the last two games. And let's not forget that this year has brought in a new offense as well that Mendenhall hasn't gotten a chance to play under much. We haven't seen what he can do. And given his career thus far, there's a reasonable chance that Mendenhall could be had for a reasonable contract anyway. But it's too early to be talking about this anyway. The answer to these questions will be determined on the field. The offensive line is starting to gel as a run blocking unit for the first time in a long time. They have a fullback again. I mean, come on, there are so many things different about this offense that are more beneficial to a running back like Mendenhall that he didn't have in years prior that it's unfair to write him off already. He needs to show what he is capable of doing in this offense over a several game stretch first.
pretty much, let's hold our horses before saying dwyer > redman or mendenhall. the o-line was in beast mode and was opening holes you could fit a goddamn truck through. any of our backs would have had a big game, if it were redman or mendenhall running the ball, either would have gone for over 100 yards easily. the o-line dominated the line of scrimmage from start to finish, and chances are if your o-line does that, you can have fat casey hampton running the ball and he'll go for 100 yards
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #16
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,422 Times in 4,456 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Redman and Dwyer are also free agents next year, and I doubt they keep all 3, plus Batch, Rainey, and Will Johnson.
Redman and Dwyer are both restricted free agents next season, they can both easily be retained with 2nd round tenders.

only Mendy is an unrestricted free agent of the three, unless he agrees to a very reasonable deal I think he's gone.