Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Haley's playcalling

I think it has been spot on, it is nice to see our OC calling plays for a reason. For instance, that bubble screen to Miller was a thing of beauty, all set up by previous bubble screens. I like the little wrinkles and variations he uses with great results.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Re: Haley's playcalling

I defended Arians for a long time and still do not view him as a "bad" OC, but I felt a change was needed to put a spark into this offense. I stated in several posts earlier in the off season that I felt we would struggle early and then depending on how Ben and Haley jelled together could either be very good or very bad. I am happy to say that we seem to be "jelling" as a unit.

Haley's offense is now beginning to click on all cylinders and in doing so has helped other aspects of the offense. His play-calling has helped Ben and his progressions, helped Ben to remain upright more, less risk of injury to Ben. Also the line is becoming more confident and the RBs are benefiting from the play calling as well. I will say I was not happy early when it appeared we were running too much on first and second downs and the running game was anemic at best, but now he is mixing his plays, involving nearly everyone, and thank God using Heath Miller as he should of been used all along.

I feel if we can get some wounded personnel back and the defense can get some key stops here and there we could be deadly late in the season and into the playoffs. Still early and a lot can happen. If the Special Teams play could improve, cut some timely penalties, get a hold of some discipline issues, and in general get a few breaks this team could make a run deep into the playoffs
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
Dalarin (11-02-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,378 Times in 3,511 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

oh i definitely view arians as a bad OC and blame him for part of the reason why we didn't win the super bowl in 2010. his david johnson experiment was a failed one and his whiff caused a fumble when we had momentum.

who can forget the arians abortion vs jacksonville in the playoffs? lol. and let's go into every game with the same gameplan! ben doesnt have time to throw, let's call more 7 step drops! arians was an idiot. ben going deep was the only way we scored touchdowns because we couldn't score in the redzone with that mental midget calling plays

long story short, we fired arians, and the offense is finally not a bunch of underacheivers. coincidence? no

it almost seemed like the only times arians called a decent game, or had a decent gameplan was when ben was banged up and we shortened the passing game. I'd rather keep our QB protected you know, BEFORE he gets injured?
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
BKAnthem (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Ben's taken so few hits this year, I actually held my breath the one time near the end of the game when he tucked it and ran. Since week 2, he's only been sacked 5 times.
steelerchad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,658 Times in 6,006 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
oh i definitely view arians as a bad OC and blame him for part of the reason why we didn't win the super bowl in 2010.
really, how could we have ever guessed?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
it almost seemed like the only times arians called a decent game, or had a decent gameplan was when ben was banged up and we shortened the passing game.
Patriots game is the same type of offense TH is calling. Arians was a freakin idiot. The best game of the year and we go away from it.

Already i've heard twice that TH called a good game. I may have been able to say that about BA twice his whole career.

The guy SUCKED. No two ways about it. He probably took off a couple years of Bens playing career, screwed Willie Parker and likely Mendenhall. Now the guy can't stay healthy, but he is a better back than the one good season he has had.

Now TH is committed to running the ball, and the first guy to two 100 yard games in years was looking for a spot in August.

When we won, it was despite that turd. We likely have 7 right frikken now if he had a clue on situational football. Everything is 30+ yard play with that guy. He would be happy to punt 20 times a game, as long as Ben got off two long passes.

And it is also Tomlin's fault for not seeing this and putting an end to his idiocy years ago. Instead, he waits to be made an a$$ of by the Roony's.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,280 Times in 647 Posts

Todd Haley is a good coach. If Haley had a Big Ben in KC, he would have been the coach there for 15 years. Haley is a no nonsense, tempered coach. Very similar to Coughlin. It's no suprise he is doing well and making a difference.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,378 Times in 3,511 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Todd Haley is a good coach. If Haley had a Big Ben in KC, he would have been the coach there for 15 years. Haley is a no nonsense, tempered coach. Very similar to Coughlin. It's no suprise he is doing well and making a difference.
my brother is a chiefs fan and he was saying we made a huge mistake by hiring haley, i asked him if he ever seen bruce arians and he said no. nuff said

i'm not sure if haley is HC material yet, but his track record as an OC has been money. i made a bet with my brother before the season saying this year's steelers offense will score more than they did last season, looks like I'm gonna win (not surprisingly)
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,406 Times in 4,549 Posts
My Mood: Tired

i'm very happy with Haley. He seems like a great fit with this offense.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,280 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
my brother is a chiefs fan and he was saying we made a huge mistake by hiring haley, i asked him if he ever seen bruce arians and he said no. nuff said

i'm not sure if haley is HC material yet, but his track record as an OC has been money. i made a bet with my brother before the season saying this year's steelers offense will score more than they did last season, looks like I'm gonna win (not surprisingly)
You're brother was right about him going to KC. KC was the worst spot to go. Haley would have been better off waiting and going to a team that had a franchise QB, which is rare for the same reason I was talking about or wait until a job like the Colts opens up and knowing they are getting Andrew Luck, and campaign for that job. Haley would have had a long career in Indy with Luck.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote