Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #21
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts
Default Re: Official Johnathon Dwyer Thread

roll the dice, see who turns up
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #22
BlaZeQuietly
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Mendy has never been good, even when hes healthy he picks up like 2 yards per carry, and hes always injured, we wasted a draft pick on him (passed on chris johnson I might add) and we keep trying to shove that square peg through a round hole.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #23
JeromeBetties63
Starter

Member Number: 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Literally. Quad injury because he can't hold up when he has to actually put in a full games work. Benched for the coming game. Maybe next game he gets to start they'll be better prepared with an oxygen mask and a massage table. Case closed, IMO.
Okay, tough guy, don't hurt your fingers typing so hard. What a tool.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #24
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,179 Times in 3,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Literally. Quad injury because he can't hold up when he has to actually put in a full games work. Benched for the coming game. Maybe next game he gets to start they'll be better prepared with an oxygen mask and a massage table. Case closed, IMO.
This is the most ignorant thing I've ever read. You've never played sports if you really believe this.

People that are saying Dwyer over Mendenhall right now are ignorant and stuck in the past. They're clamoring for another Jerome Bettis - something that isn't coming. Sure, he had a couple of good games but it doesn't excuse what he did in the first 4 when Mendenhall was down. Remember those? Remember how poorly he played? I do. I also remember when people were saying "trade for a back at the deadline! these guys suck!" and now we're saying start him over a 3000 yard running back?

You guys are ridiculous. Dwyer was a 6th round pick for a reason - remember that. Only this season did it seem like he even gave a shit, showing up to camp finally in football shape and the ability to have more than 5 carries at a time without needing to be taken off.

Dwyer isn't the long term option for this team and Mendenhall is going to walk in free agency so we can keep Wallace and Sanders. The Steelers need to address this position in the draft, and fairly early. Grabbing a Kenjon Barner or Knile Davis in the third round would be a good idea.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #25
BlaZeQuietly
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Good, I hope he walks in free agency, he sure isn't gonna run, he can't even do that in a football game.

Last edited by BlaZeQuietly; 11-02-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typo
BlaZeQuietly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #26
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,822 Times in 2,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
The Steelers need to address this position in the draft, and fairly early. Grabbing a Kenjon Barner or Knile Davis in the third round would be a good idea.
Knile Davis has averaged 3.4 yards per carry so far this season and I watched him fumble the ball three times against Texas A&M, no thanks.

as for Kenjon Barner, he has looked good so far this year for Oregon but he weighs less than 200 lbs and he will most likely be a third-down back in the NFL who also contributes on special teams. we already have a back like that in Chris Rainey...
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #27
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
This is the most ignorant thing I've ever read. You've never played sports if you really believe this.

People that are saying Dwyer over Mendenhall right now are ignorant and stuck in the past. They're clamoring for another Jerome Bettis - something that isn't coming. Sure, he had a couple of good games but it doesn't excuse what he did in the first 4 when Mendenhall was down. Remember those? Remember how poorly he played? I do. I also remember when people were saying "trade for a back at the deadline! these guys suck!" and now we're saying start him over a 3000 yard running back?

You guys are ridiculous. Dwyer was a 6th round pick for a reason - remember that. Only this season did it seem like he even gave a shit, showing up to camp finally in football shape and the ability to have more than 5 carries at a time without needing to be taken off.

Dwyer isn't the long term option for this team and Mendenhall is going to walk in free agency so we can keep Wallace and Sanders. The Steelers need to address this position in the draft, and fairly early. Grabbing a Kenjon Barner or Knile Davis in the third round would be a good idea.
So you disagree with me saying Dwyer isn't capable of holding down the starting job, then cut a full promo on Dwyer yourself? Have at it, I guess?
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #28
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
Mendy has never been good, even when hes healthy he picks up like 2 yards per carry, and hes always injured, we wasted a draft pick on him (passed on chris johnson I might add) and we keep trying to shove that square peg through a round hole.
You're a tool.

2008 - 3.9 YPC (small sample size, only 19 attempts)
2009 - 4.6 YPC
2010 - 3.9 YPC
2011 - 4.1 YPC
2012 - 3.9 YPC (again, he has only carried it 17 times this year)

I am sure you give Big Ben a break for all the sacks, which have averaged somewhere in the vicinity of 40 - 50 sacks per year, based on shoddy Oline play, but not Mendenhall?

You just don't like him because he was on Dancing with the Stars, I get it. But to say he only averages 2 yards per carry, and then slobbing the nob of a guy who has started for two games-- strains credibility at best.

Dwyer is no "minibus" if the wheels fall off after two games.

Redman never really got his chance, since he was nursing a sore groin and ankle since preseason week 2, but again, the same applies to him-- if you cannot handle 300+ carries per season, then you are NOT a starting RB.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #29
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Lets wait and see how Mendy does behind the new Oline and at full health. The guy has had to run it behind our crappola Oline in Arians "there is no fullback in my offense" scheme for five years and still produced us 4 yards per carry.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #30
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,179 Times in 3,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Knile Davis has averaged 3.4 yards per carry so far this season and I watched him fumble the ball three times against Texas A&M, no thanks.

as for Kenjon Barner, he has looked good so far this year for Oregon but he weighs less than 200 lbs and he will most likely be a third-down back in the NFL who also contributes on special teams. we already have a back like that in Chris Rainey...
He's coming back from a pretty severe ankle injury and he's running behind a pretty poor offensive line. Combine those two things and it's understandable that he's only at 3.4 ypc right now. You're forgetting the fact that this is the same Knile Davis that averaged over 6 ypc in his sophomore year and ran for over 1300 yards and 13 TDs. He's a legitimate back, he just needs time to develop and rehab that ankle. Running behind Pouncey and DeCastro will also help. I mean, there's a reason why most "expert scouts" (can I even call them experts?) had him as a first round pick prior to this year - he'll be a solid starter in the NFL and a cheap replacement to Mendenhall. I think he's worth a 3rd round pick with his upside and high ceiling.

Kenjon has actually shown the ability to bounce off tackles and drag guys with him despite his size. This was something Rainey could never do. If he puts on some muscle he could be a legitimate back number 1 back in the NFL, something I think he has the upside and potential to reach.

As for me ripping Dwyer, I ripped his ability and not for him being soft or not tough. That's not it - he's actually tried very hard to come into this season in football shape but he's not the long term answer at running back for this team. We need to stop looking for the next Bettis and realize that's not what NFL backs are nowadays.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote