Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #31
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: Official Johnathon Dwyer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
As for me ripping Dwyer, I ripped his ability and not for him being soft or not tough. That's not it - he's actually tried very hard to come into this season in football shape but he's not the long term answer at running back for this team. We need to stop looking for the next Bettis and realize that's not what NFL backs are nowadays.
Doesn't really have much to do with "Tough" factor. He's not up to speed to carry a team. Every time he makes any real run he's gassed. He makes a big breakout into the secondary and pulls muscles. Not cut out to be a starter. He's great as a backup, but Mendy is the starter. Can't say that enough.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #32
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

What a joke. He was a star and a workhorse in college, and he's still 23. There's no reason to believe he can't physically take the workload.

Anybody knocking any three of these backs should pull their heads out of their asses. They're all capable of being quality players, possibly even starters, although the sample sizes of Dwyer and Redman are too small to truly say.

As for Mendenhall, he has 22 touchdowns in the last two seasons.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,601 Times in 5,991 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:

Kenjon has actually shown the ability to bounce off tackles and drag guys with him despite his size. This was something Rainey could never do. If he puts on some muscle he could be a legitimate back number 1 back in the NFL, something I think he has the upside and potential to reach.
Kenjon Barner looked fantastic against USC today, with performances like that he'll never last until our pick in the 3rd round though.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #34
BlaZeQuietly
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Mendenhall is NOT even on of the top 10 backs in the AFC. I may have been wrong about his yards per carry i never really checked his stats, but I've watched a lot of games since he started playing and its not very often when I am impressed with him. Redman and Dwyer have impressed me way more, none of them can seem to stay healthy. I agree mendenhall deserves a chance behind the new O-line but to suggest hes earned any type of respect as a serious threat at RB is absurd. When ever its 3rd and short and Mendenhall is out there I'm hoping for a quarter back sneak, any thing but handing it to him and have him spin in circles until someone spears him. I would much rather see it handed to dwyer and have him plow ahead for a gain, like he has been doing almost every time hes gotten the ball the last two weeks.
BlaZeQuietly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #35
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,716 Times in 4,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Kenjon Barner looked fantastic against USC today, with performances like that he'll never last until our pick in the 3rd round though.
We can hope! /pipedream
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #36
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
Mendenhall is NOT even on of the top 10 backs in the AFC. I may have been wrong about his yards per carry i never really checked his stats, but I've watched a lot of games since he started playing and its not very often when I am impressed with him. Redman and Dwyer have impressed me way more, none of them can seem to stay healthy. I agree mendenhall deserves a chance behind the new O-line but to suggest hes earned any type of respect as a serious threat at RB is absurd. When ever its 3rd and short and Mendenhall is out there I'm hoping for a quarter back sneak, any thing but handing it to him and have him spin in circles until someone spears him. I would much rather see it handed to dwyer and have him plow ahead for a gain, like he has been doing almost every time hes gotten the ball the last two weeks.
Come on now. His 2 healthiest years he put up over 1000 yards rushing both years, and like 20 TD's. He had another year he almost cracked 1000. This was behind the Arians offense, with no blocking or FB helping. And you want to give the nod to a guy that averages what, about 110 yards A YEAR, and zero career TD's? Why is this even up for debate?
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #37
BlaZeQuietly
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Come on now. His 2 healthiest years he put up over 1000 yards rushing both years, and like 20 TD's. He had another year he almost cracked 1000. This was behind the Arians offense, with no blocking or FB helping. And you want to give the nod to a guy that averages what, about 110 yards A YEAR, and zero career TD's? Why is this even up for debate?
hes has 2 100+ yard rushing games in a row, meanwhile mende can't even play. Let's just see what happens and we can revisit this argument later this year.
BlaZeQuietly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #38
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,960 Times in 4,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
hes has 2 100+ yard rushing games in a row, meanwhile mende can't even play.
neither can dwyer.

run for 200 yds and pull a quad???

c'mon, man!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #39
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,601 Times in 5,991 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
We can hope! /pipedream
btw, good call on this guy!

this is the first time i have watched Kenjon Barner really closely for the entire game and i was really impressed to say the least. I didn't think he was big enough to be an every down back but check out these numbers against USC today:

38 carries for 328 yards and 5 TDs

this performance will throw Barner into the Heisman Trophy spotlight if he wasn't already in it.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #40
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,716 Times in 4,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
btw, good call on this guy!

this is the first time i have watched Kenjon Barner really closely for the entire game and i was really impressed to say the least. I didn't think he was big enough to be an every down back but check out these numbers against USC today:

38 carries for 328 yards and 5 TDs

this performance will throw Barner into the Heisman Trophy spotlight if he wasn't already in it.
He's definitely in the discussion now. He's also a little bit underrated, too. He's not necessarily 'the guy' on that team - that award goes to De'Anthony. A lot of teams may have been overlooking his production before, but they aren't now. I very much doubt he'll end up as a Steeler as we'd have to use a second round pick on him and we have more pressing needs, but this kid has great potential and such a high ceiling.

His size is the only thing working against him right now, but if he puts on a couple of pounds and bulks up - look out.

How great would the stable of Barner as our every down, Dwyer in short and Rainey on third down look?
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote