Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2700
Default Crack down on silent count

http://mboard.steelers.com/fanzone/m...balltalk/59221

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, August 5, 2006

A big key to the Steelers' playoff success last season was their ability to function on offense in loud, opposing stadiums.

They did it using a silent count, but their tactics could be compromised by what center Jeff Hartings labels as an unnecessary league-wide crackdown on pre-snap movements along the offensive line.

"Besides pointing out (blocking assignments), there can't be a lot of movement in your arms, your head, your fingers, your butt," Hartings said. "I don't agree with it. I don't think it gives offensive linemen an advantage."

The league wants to eliminate abrupt pre-snap movements by offensive linemen, particularly centers. Those movements could include jerking the head up and down or sideways, flinching a shoulder or even wiggling fingers -- a trademark and seemingly harmless pre-snap habit of Chicago Bears center Olin Kreutz.

"We want regular, slow movement, and we want a pause before the ball's snapped," said NFL line judge Jeff Bergman, a Wexford resident who has been at Steelers camp the past two days with two colleagues. "We don't want to see a ball snapping and a head still moving."

On Thursday, the three officials showed the team a video explaining new rules and points of emphasis. On Friday, they played it for reporters.

One clip showed Hartings moving his head as he snapped the ball. That would now be deemed illegal unless Hartings paused his head before snapping.

In a silent count, Steelers linemen would look to Hartings, who would nod his head down, then up. The upward motion signaled the snap.

Sometimes, to keep the defense guessing, he would do it twice, and the second upward movement would signal the snap.

"I guess they're regulating the way we do silent counts in a stadium where you can't hear anything," Hartings said. "Now, you have to pause your head a certain amount of time on a silent count, which makes it even more difficult for an offensive line to be in rhythm and get off the ball.

"The reason why we have to use the silent count is because some teams pipe in noise. Instead of taking away that advantage -- Indianapolis, Buffalo -- they're trying to take away what we've adjusted to and used to help us."

The officials were confident that teams would get used to the changes in the preseason.

Among the other points of emphasis and rules changes:

? Fumbles that occur after a whistle, if recovered immediately and cleanly, are subject to instant replay review to see if the player was down by contact.

"Now, you'll have a chance to challenge (such plays)," Steelers coach Bill Cowher said. "We did not vote for the rule, but it passed. You're going to have to play through the whistle a little bit with any ball that's on the ground."

? A quarterback in the pocket can't be hit below the knees, unless the defensive player is blocked into him. Any such hit will result in a 15-yard penalty.

Bergman said Kimo von Oelhoffen's hit on Carson Palmer in last year's playoffs would be legal this year, too, because von Oelhoffen was blocked into Palmer.

? Maximum time for instant replay viewings has been reduced from 90 to 60 seconds.

? Group touchdown celebrations, choreographed celebrations and use of props in celebrations (including, say, using a pylon as a golf club) will be penalized.

? Expect a crackdown on players getting into other player's faces and trash-talking.

"You can trash-talk all you want," Bergman said. "But you can't jump in a guy's face and do it."

This is getting to be a joke with all of the new rules and regs every year because one team cries about something another team did. I wou say 2/3 times when Hartings was moving his head he was looking to see where Ben was because he was lined up in the shotgun... All centers and long snappers look back to see where the person is before they snap it. Center looks back, then looks at the line, and then snaps it...

I am all for the 60 replay review though, 90 seconds seems to long and besides it usually neded up being 2 minutes. So now the new 60 seconds will be more like 90.
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,520 Times in 3,752 Posts
Default Re: Crack down on silent count

I guess the league realizes giving the Colts home field adavantage so they can pump in crowd noise still will not guarantee a Super Bowl win if teams effectively use the silent count.

Maybe they should just outlaw the silent count so Peyton & Friends can have an even better chance to win at home.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

What happen to football? I thought this was a man's sport, where people were suppose to be able to take hits, show off, and play the game - I'm going for the commish in the next opening - it's time for football to come back!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

If they would only crack down on Mannings ego-centric incessant hand-flopping shell game theatrics before each snap...just snap the freaking ball.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Why don't they do something about the team's piping in crowd noise through the loudspeakers?Because that's just not fair,the normal crowd noise doesn't give enough of a home-field advantage I guess.

And we all know the new rule about the QB...it's all because of Carson Palmer.Why don't we just put a damn pink skirt on most of the QB's?

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer
Why don't they do something about the team's piping in crowd noise through the loudspeakers?Because that's just not fair,the normal crowd noise doesn't give enough of a home-field advantage I guess.

And we all know the new rule about the QB...it's all because of Carson Palmer.Why don't we just put a damn pink skirt on most of the QB's?
Better yet... why don't they remove the pads all together from the QB's and tie some flags around their waist.

I'm starting to get annoyed with all of these new rules every year because some team (not mentioning any one in particular) had a bad break during the season and wants to see a new rule put in place so it doesn't happen again. Are the coaches not teaching these kids in pee-wee ball that there is a possiblity they could get hurt and it is part of the game?
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

I think it pretty much comes down to money. The coaches and teams invest a bunch of money in players, if they get injured that's down the drain. If a player gets injured, ticket sales might go down and so on.

My highschool football team is aloud more contact than this. We can still horse collar (to an extent), move a little before the snap, hit below the knees.

Really retarded...
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #8
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
If they would only crack down on Mannings ego-centric incessant hand-flopping shell game theatrics before each snap...just snap the freaking ball.
AMEN!!
I-Want-Troy's-Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #9
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt

Amen bro...