Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #21
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516
Default Re: Wallace wants to go deep more

I've been saying that he is in the same situation that Heath was in Arians offense- doesn't necessarily fit his skill set. Good luck somewhere else Wallace. Just a fact.
austinfrench76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #22
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,077 Times in 568 Posts

I bet he does.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #23
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

I'm with everybody that he's not great and doesn't deserve a new contract, but he DOES need to go deep more. It's his asset and it still works when we try to use it (Titans game). I get that the short passing game works and I personally love that gameplan, but a deep throw here and there can't possibly hurt and over the past 2 games we haven't really tried one.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #24
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
Outside of the Sunday night bengals game I can't think of any other time Wallace has been a ball dropper. It was an awful game, but hardly makes him a dropper. As for disappearing... Not entirely sure what that means, but I by no means think Wallace is perfect, in just a bit more reasonable in evaluating him than the "one trick pony" babblers
IMO, Wallace hit his prime during the air raid we had against the packers in reg season. 2010. I believe...... It was a Nice last second game winning Santonio Holmes style TD catch. I was high as hell on Wallace and thought he was legit and for real.

Ever since I noticed his lack of effort, dropping easy grabs, giving up on plays and noticed that fame was getting to him and he was deciding to settle for mediocrity cause it seemed to me that he believed he was good enough and didn't have to work hard anymore.

The 2011 Wild card game. Deep pass, right in the numbers..... Dropped. Broncos challenged the catch and won. That's the game where he finally lost the rest of any respect I had for him.

2010 AFC championship game I believe that the good majority of Steelers fans saw we had a real WR on our team and that wr's name was Brown.... Not Wallace. I believe the organizationion knew it as well.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #25
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,933 Times in 1,905 Posts
My Mood: Fine

so now that he is basically gone - what would you offer him

I'd give him about a 3 year, 23 mil contract with 10.5 mill guaranteed, 5.5 front loaded, knowing he probably won't take it. Call it low-balling, but he is only #1 on the depth chart and not on the field. If he acts like a #1 the rest of the way, I might front load the entire 10.5.

Even after I think about this (and I'm def not a contract expert or capologist) I'm still thinking I might get another Antonio Brown in the draft - better work ethic who I won't have to pay the big bucks to for another 2 to 3 seasons.

Even if we start taking everyone by surprise later on in the season and he starts catching a few long bombs a game - is using him as a late-season surge guy even worth it? - or did some of you hit the nail on the head - we need a different type of receiver to be even more dynamic in the Haley system?

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #26
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyvalve View Post
No way. It ain't his fault he is fast. Imagine being TE who can catch really well then being asking to block constantly and not be an option for receptions. Said TE asks to be thrown to more - is there a problem with that?

Wallace's asset is his speed, he wants to use it. I don't see a problem with that. No matter what these guys do somebody rags on them. He wants to run fast and catch the football.

My opinion is that they do need to do throw deep to him more. My guess is Haley is waiting to spring the trap. The "One trick pony" gag is getting old. Not only that, he is a great receiver. He has made some great catches this year. If he did not hold out we would not even be having this conversation.
We don't have to imagine this scenario. It happened to Miller for years and years under Arians. And guess what. Miller didn't cry about it once. The man sat back patiently for half of his career being totally under utilized and wasted because we had a shit OC. Now that Miller is finally getting his dues, Wallace is crying that he ain't in the spotlight anymore even though he was planning on holding out this season anyways and clearly doesn't deserve the opportunity to get balls thrown his way due to his pathetic play and contributions to the team on and of the field.

It's just another sign that Wallace is a little boy still, and has the big headed WR disease that so many of them get. I'm glad that the 5-6 force fed dud bombs to Wallace every game are gone. I'm glad that they aren't even throwing one to him a game and in fact are scoring more points per game without the deep threat tactic than they were with it. Hopefully it helps humble Wallace and returns him back to planet earth while he is young and still has a chance to decide how he wants his legacy to be written. I'd hate to see Wallace be a punk his whole career and earn a bad rep for himself, then find himself begging for a job and working for peanuts like TO, Chad Johnson etc.

Having said all this. I still believe that airing it out to Wallace will be a huge part of our new offensive gameplay coming this postseason. I'm expecting a completely different offensive philosophy change and it'll look nothing like the Steelers we have been all watching the past 7 games.

I've mentioned before that I'm loving the new Haley offense, but I've been thinking a lot recently about how long he can possibly keep it fresh and unpredictable before it turns into the predictable and boring Arians offense. . I'm really hoping that we are barely seeing the tip of the iceberg and we can stay hot for years to come. I have way way way more confidence in Haley and his potential than Arians, but we can only be so successful for so long building an offensive scheme around the WR quick screens.

This is also why I'm guessing we will be high flying come late December and January.

Last edited by Millers the sh!t; 11-03-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Millers the sh!t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #27
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I'm with everybody that he's not great and doesn't deserve a new contract, but he DOES need to go deep more. It's his asset and it still works when we try to use it (Titans game). I get that the short passing game works and I personally love that gameplan, but a deep throw here and there can't possibly hurt and over the past 2 games we haven't really tried one.
That line of thinking is what got Bruce Arians on the bad side of Steelers fans real fast. We have something working here, but let's go away from it for the sake of being "unpredictable".

Yep, and true to Mike Wallace form, he did nothing else notable the rest of the game as Ben and the Offense had their worst game of the season after playing so well, but hey, at least Mikey had his big catch.

They had that one good play, but the Offense wasn't in a rhythm the rest of the night. The Mike Wallace dud bomb is becoming a detriment than an asset.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #28
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,977 Times in 3,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
We don't have to imagine this scenario. It happened to Miller for years and years under Arians. And guess what. Miller didn't cry about it once. The man sat back patiently for half of his career being totally under utilized and wasted because we had a shit OC. Now that Miller is finally getting his dues, .

this is only true to stat, fantasy football, and pro-bowl geeks, who care more about their pretend teams than the NFL as a whole.

football purists, those who study and respect the history of the game, and those who really understand the position know its complete rubbish.

heath miller has widely been regarded as the best PURE tight end in the game. that has translated to a VERY illustrious career for him where he will go down as the best TE in the entire history of the steelers 80 year old franchise.

i am sorry i have disagreed with you (posting nothing but FACTS), and i am sure you will take exception. please feel free, as others on this board have shown, , throwing a little hissy fit may help.

also, i had to laugh at your notion of wallace hitting his "prime" in the final game of his rookie season... were you in a coma the 1st half of last season?
Old 11-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #29
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

this is only true to stat, fantasy football, and pro-bowl geeks, who care more about their pretend teams than the NFL as a whole.

football purists, those who study and respect the history of the game, and those who really understand the position know its complete rubbish.

heath miller has widely been regarded as the best PURE tight end in the game. that has translated to a VERY illustrious career for him where he will go down as the best TE in the entire history of the steelers 80 year old franchise.

i am sorry i have disagreed with you (posting nothing but FACTS), and i am sure you will take HEexception. please feel free, as others on this board have shown, , throwing a little hissy fit may help.

also, i had to laugh at your notion of wallace hitting his "prime" in the final game of his rookie season... were you in a coma the 1st half of last season?

Ha ha ha..... Nah you're right Tony. Please tell Haley that heath should go back to baby sitting flunky o line players for 60 minutes instead of coming up huge time after time on 3rd and long and in Redzone situations.

We are a much more productive offense taking Heath's leash off, rather than forcing him to play the traditional pure TE position that evolved over 80 years.

Check the bell curve...... Wallace went up.....Wallace hit prime, Wallace went down and has stayed there the last fifteen games of his career. Until he gets disciplined and takes his job more seriously the dude is definitely on a downswing in his career.

I'm truly honored that Tony Hipchest "the 2010/2011 2 time back to back world champion best internet forum contributor, and moderator the country has to offer" has taking the time out of his busy day of.......... Well........ typing on internet forums, and pushing the warranty of his Fleshlight to the limits, just to wittingly comment on my humble OPINION.

NEVER BEEN A STAT GUY. NEVER WILL. ONLY STAT I CARE ABOUT IS W/L'S 

THAT'S the best hissy fit I could come up with tony. I hope u liked it. Lol
Old 11-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #30
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,977 Times in 3,413 Posts

there... dont you feel much better now?

so where is this "bell curve" you speak of, mr. Not a STAT GUY?

"definitely" on the downswing? nice opinion, as wrong is it may be.