Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default steelcurtain

i know this thread will start a lot of talk but since i am a minor i never lived through the 70's or even the 80's to watch the steelers. so i was curious about the players stats like bradshaws and francos. i always idled farve and terry untill i went to HOF.com and seen terrys stats. i didnt know how horrible of a qb he was. i know i know but think about it, most great qbs have a completion percentage over thier career of about 58-65. but when u look at bradshaws stats he was 50% on average and some seasons where he had a 45%. that is horrible. and the steelers dont throw that much, so your saying 350 passes or so and only half if not less is incomplete. and he wasnt no vinny testeverdi but he threw his fair share of interceptions. pretty much what i am saying is that the steelers could of drafted a qb in the 13th round or something and won the same amount of SBs. it was the defense and running game that won not bradshaw, props to swann and stallworth though. http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/me...p?player_id=31
Old 08-08-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: steelcurtain

The first couple of years really screwed him,he was learning how to play NFL football.He really did suck at first.

However,Terry Bradshaw was as clutch a QB as they come.He has thrown four 4th Quarter TD's in the Super Bowl,the only other QB to do that is Joe Montana.He was also a two-time Super Bowl MVP.

And remember,back when he played football was much different.QB's got hit back then,and hit hard.It's not like today where QB's need put in a pink skirt.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
19ward86
Head Coach

nice, i understand i just think a lot of the old team was really overshadowed because of terry. he did have big stats and i respect him being in the HOF. he deserves it. because he could control a team but take a gander at the other qbs at the time, u really have to agree that 51% is a little low.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

It's a bit low but the HoF isn't all about stats.

And I don't think the rest of the team was overshadowed by Terry,it's just that he's the only one to really go into broadcasting so he's the only one that is really still in the national spotlight.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I believe Terry was never a great QB. But what you'll find is that he was a GREAT FIELD GENERAL. He knew how to move the team up and down the field. It's not always about having the best completion percentage or the highest rating (i.e. Big Ben has the lowest rating of a Super Bowl winning QB) but it's about doing enough when you have the ball to help your team win. That's why the Steelers in the 70's won 4 Super Bowls.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
19ward86
Head Coach

i know he was a great leader, and i know he wasnt all about stats but i was just saying that rooney could of drafted a great leader in the late rounds with a strong arm and could of been the same. and if terry would of been drafted to another team he probably wouldnt of had a career at all.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

Terry was not a great QB hmmmmmm Ok. I cant play in this box with you guys. I would say he would be one of the top 5 qb of all time

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
19ward86
Head Coach

wow, that is a big spot to fill. he might be up there but 8th or 9th sounds better
Old 08-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

Say what you want but them four rings got to stand for something.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86
i know this thread will start a lot of talk but since i am a minor i never lived through the 70's or even the 80's to watch the steelers. so i was curious about the players stats like bradshaws and francos. i always idled farve and terry untill i went to HOF.com and seen terrys stats. i didnt know how horrible of a qb he was. i know i know but think about it, most great qbs have a completion percentage over thier career of about 58-65. but when u look at bradshaws stats he was 50% on average and some seasons where he had a 45%. that is horrible. and the steelers dont throw that much, so your saying 350 passes or so and only half if not less is incomplete. and he wasnt no vinny testeverdi but he threw his fair share of interceptions. pretty much what i am saying is that the steelers could of drafted a qb in the 13th round or something and won the same amount of SBs. it was the defense and running game that won not bradshaw, props to swann and stallworth though. http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/me...p?player_id=31
terry bradshaw will be the 1st to tell you (just read his books) that if he were playing in a west coast offense like brady or montana, his stats would be a lot better. he was the blonde bomber and he earned that nickname for a reason. throwing the ball 40 yards down field just doesnt lead to as high of a completion percentage as a qb who uses the passing game and little 5-10 yard passes to supplant the running game. bradshaw always had franco and blier.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote