Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #11
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: steelcurtain

Brad was thrown in as a starter during an era where qbs called their own plays, and it took 3-4 years of clipboard time before you understood game flow. So his first few years he was awful.

Once he caught on, there was no stopping him. You had to see it to believe it. The Steelers could score from anywhere on the field with either a run or a pass. The guy could whale it, really air it out, and he was on the money. He knew how to set up the defense beautifully. He was big, and strong. He could take a hit. And like other said, this was whan the QB was just another guy on the field.

And he had that intuition, he knew when a pattern broke down what Swann and Stallworth were going to do.

And above all, like stlrtruck said, he was a real field general, a true Steeler. Terry was only about one stat: How many "W"s? Guys like Fouts and Tarkenton could put up all the numbers they wanted to, but at the end of the game Terry went home with the W, every time. The Steelers personality then, and even today, was forged by one man: Chuck Noll. He was every bit as great a coach as you will ever see in your life. And his personality was never one of self-aggrandizement; it was about TEAM, and winning as a team.

If Terry hadn't been a Steeler, he would have been a guy like Fouts; huge numbers on a team that went 6-8, 8-6, 7-9, 9-7 every year. He would have been a starter in '74 instead of '71, and his career would have lasted maybe 3 or 4 years longer, too. But he'd have no rings.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
BBC
Team Captain

Member Number: 2109

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86
i know this thread will start a lot of talk but since i am a minor i never lived through the 70's or even the 80's to watch the steelers. so i was curious about the players stats like bradshaws and francos. i always idled farve and terry untill i went to HOF.com and seen terrys stats. i didnt know how horrible of a qb he was. i know i know but think about it, most great qbs have a completion percentage over thier career of about 58-65. but when u look at bradshaws stats he was 50% on average and some seasons where he had a 45%. that is horrible. and the steelers dont throw that much, so your saying 350 passes or so and only half if not less is incomplete. and he wasnt no vinny testeverdi but he threw his fair share of interceptions. pretty much what i am saying is that the steelers could of drafted a qb in the 13th round or something and won the same amount of SBs. it was the defense and running game that won not bradshaw, props to swann and stallworth though. http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/me...p?player_id=31
You obviously weren't around to see them play. Just like I said to LambertIsGod, what Terry did for us couldn't be measured in stats. He opened up our running game because of his threat to throw the ball deep on any given opportunity. He was a two-time Super Bowl MVP, he was awarded the 1978 NFL MVP. There is no 13th round quarterback that could have even come close to doing what TB did for us. Don't kid yourself for a second.
BBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:22 AM   #13
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

The way Terry played kind of makes me think of another young qb who throws the ball deep alot to set up the run hmmmm who am I thinking of big kid plays in a black jersey hmmmm just cant seem to recall just won a super bowl

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #14
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL
The way Terry played kind of makes me think of another young qb who throws the ball deep alot to set up the run hmmmm who am I thinking of big kid plays in a black jersey hmmmm just cant seem to recall just won a super bowl
I think his name is Benjamin but I'm a little short on memory today!

And you're right, those 4 Super Bowl Rings do mean something. It equals to this - stats mean nothing, rings rule, and The Blonde Bomber is in the H.O.F.!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:15 AM   #15
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

umm ok, to say that you could have dradted a 13th rounder and still won 4 super Bowls is pretty absurb. Times were different and the style of play was different. Bradshaw was a leader, called his own plays, there was not the dink and dunk pass plays for 3 yards like they do today. when he threw, there was a purpose, not to do what your running back can do to gain the same amount of yards. Although, he was fortunate that he was on a team and with an organization that drafted so well and had the talent around him that enabled him to accomplish what he did, but you can pretty much say that about any QB that is on a winning team. Football is a team sport and ones person success is very rarely due to that person and that person alone i.e ( Barry Sanders but no success as a team).
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #16
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

That team sport thing does not seem as important and this stat happy day we are in. I hear carson this CJ that they have lot of nice # but they dont have the wins when it matters. You take a bunch of decent players no super stars that act as a team and they will beat all the CJ's and TO"s you want to bring along. I am not saying this Steeler team doesnt have super stars they just dont put themselves ahead of the goal which is the super bowl!!

just my thoughts

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #17
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
terry bradshaw will be the 1st to tell you (just read his books) that if he were playing in a west coast offense like brady or montana, his stats would be a lot better. he was the blonde bomber and he earned that nickname for a reason. throwing the ball 40 yards down field just doesnt lead to as high of a completion percentage as a qb who uses the passing game and little 5-10 yard passes to supplant the running game. bradshaw always had franco and blier.
Most definitely true. Bradshaw also had the benefit of having one hell of a good OL in front of him who protected him (for the most part) like a crowned jewel, as well as two of the best wideouts to ever play the game. Bradshaw is a legend in the NFL - he took complete charge of HIS offense by calling most of the plays and he could read a defense better than most QBs in his era. The Emperor trusted him completely to run that offense and I think that speaks volumes. Like Arkie, I, too, rank him in the Top 5 greatest QBs of all time.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #18
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Remember, he also played in a time when staying with a team was common place, not the exception! In today's NFL it's about the money, not about the rings! Maybe with the new commish we can get back to football the way it was suppose to be played - SMASH MOUTH style!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:10 AM   #19
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck
Remember, he also played in a time when staying with a team was common place, not the exception! In today's NFL it's about the money, not about the rings! Maybe with the new commish we can get back to football the way it was suppose to be played - SMASH MOUTH style!
I echo your sentiments. The NFL has become pussified over the last 20 years and I'd love nothing more than to see the game return to the way it used to be. No nonsense, hard-assed, rough and tumble football without the primadonnas, bruised egos and incessant whining. Get rid of the PFL and bring back the good ol' NFL!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote