Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #21
btaylor179
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15251
Default Re: pass interference rule needs changed ...

worse pass int call ever
btaylor179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #22
beer72
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3508
Default Re: pass interference rule needs changed .especially..

When called incorrectly it is just too lethal especially when the offense almosts seems to throw the ball deep just for hopes of the call...15yrds here too
beer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #23
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

it was different, 30 years ago when a 40+ yard pass wasn't common, but today's pass-n-tab teams use PI as an intended result

if the intended receiver doesn't catch the ball, they immediately turn & begin petitioning the officials

when mental-midgets like Nantz & Simms realize this, you know it's past-due
Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #24
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Since Goodell has decided that he wants passing to be the centerpiece of modern football, I think it's silly to do so at the expense of defense.
Not everyone is a "casual fan" and many fans of the game appreciate defense more so than offense.
But you can emphasize passing without sacrificing sound defense.

Changing the rules to make PI a15-yard penalty instead of a spot foul would be a great idea because it would allow defenders to actually BE defenders instead of a bunch of nervous-nellies afraid to get too close to a receiver for fear of costing his team a huge chunk of yardage or even the game.
Not only that, but it would discourage teams from using a deep ball as a means of gaining cheap yardage by drawing a foul and would instead mean that deep balls would be thrown with the intention of someone actually catching it rather than just trying to sucker some DB into a penalty.

Make Pass Interference a 15-yard penalty and make the game better and more honest!
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

It's how a lot of QBs make their living... heave up a bomb and hope their receiver can draw a flag. E. Manning, Romo, Flacco, et al.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218

I think its a great idea! Hopefully someone from our team heard Phil's idea and brings it up with the competition committe for a rule change.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #27
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyvalve View Post
And the standard response to any contact on a missed pass play is to pout and plea for a PI call. It is embarrassing. The players should see themselves on TV doing that - they look stupid.
It's the self-entitlement kind of thing the league has created. Our guys are guilty of it as well. They throw the flag so damn much as it is, and any contact beyond 5 yards is supposed to be flagged... So any time a receiver is touched, he thinks he's entitled to a flag. It's the inconsistency that makes these games so difficult to watch. PI or defensive holding is the new offensive holding penalty. Technically, they could call it on nearly every down.. But they don't, and you never can know for sure when they will.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
BowCatShot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24236

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Since Goodell has decided that he wants passing to be the centerpiece of modern football, I think it's silly to do so at the expense of defense.
Not everyone is a "casual fan" and many fans of the game appreciate defense more so than offense.
But you can emphasize passing without sacrificing sound defense.

Changing the rules to make PI a15-yard penalty instead of a spot foul would be a great idea because it would allow defenders to actually BE defenders instead of a bunch of nervous-nellies afraid to get too close to a receiver for fear of costing his team a huge chunk of yardage or even the game.
Not only that, but it would discourage teams from using a deep ball as a means of gaining cheap yardage by drawing a foul and would instead mean that deep balls would be thrown with the intention of someone actually catching it rather than just trying to sucker some DB into a penalty.

Make Pass Interference a 15-yard penalty and make the game better and more honest!
Alternately, rather than fiddle with the rules or change the penalties, have the refs take instantaneous lie detector tests whenever they throw the penalty flag. The questions would be asked by the penalized team's head coach. If lying, the ref would be ejected from the game on the spot and given a hefty fine.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #29
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 1,661 Times in 642 Posts
My Mood: Cynical

The problem with changing it to a 15 yard penalty though would be that the DBs could then use that as a free penalty. "Oh, I'm about to be burned and give up a big play, let me foul this guy so it is only 15 yards instead." PI would be much more common then.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #30
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokki View Post
The problem with changing it to a 15 yard penalty though would be that the DBs could then use that as a free penalty. "Oh, I'm about to be burned and give up a big play, let me foul this guy so it is only 15 yards instead." PI would be much more common then.

then the only alternative would be to review EVERY pass interference call, just the way they review every score. I would certainly be on board with something like that. The consequences have been far too severe for these "phantom" penalities.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote