Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,138 Times in 509 Posts
Default Rashard Mendenhall will be starter

Rashard Mendenhall will be starter
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

It's unknown whether Rashard Mendenhall will play Monday night against the Kansas City Chiefs, but he will remain the Steelers' starting running back when he's recovered from an Achilles injury, running backs coach Kirby Wilson told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Wednesday.

"Rashard has always been our lead dog and our top runner," Wilson told the newspaper.

After missing the first three games of the season because of offseason knee surgery, Mendenhall returned to gain 101 total yards against the Eagles before injuring his Achilles the next game. In his absence, Jonathan Dwyer has gained 100 yards rushing in back-to-back games, and Isaac Redman produced a career-high 147 yards rushing last Sunday.

There is a chance the Steelers will go with a running back-by-committee approach, and Wilson repeated what coach Mike Tomlin said earlier in the week about giving the ball to the running back who is having the most success during the game. Wilson indicated the first opportunities would go to Mendenhall.

"Rashard is the complete package -- power, speed, explosiveness," Wilson said. "He is the guy who can take a 10-yard run and make people miss and get 20 more. We think Jonathan has things that he is great at. Isaac has some things that he is great at. But Rashard is the complete package. Rashard has proved that he can do it over the long haul."

Mendenhall is considered questionable for Monday's game against Kansas City. A first-round pick by Pittsburgh in 2008, he is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/86...chilles-injury

I've said before that I generally agree that a player shouldn't lose his job to injury, but to say that Mendy will be the starter and clearly imply that neither Dwyer nor Redman are the "complete package" is wrong.

I think if Mendy is healthy, he should be given an opportunity to play.
But I also think that in light of what Redman and Dwyer have been doing, he should have to earn that starting job rather than having it handed to him.

Wilson also goes on to gush about Mendy's explosiveness and ability to turn a short play into a big one.
This may be true, but I could say the very same thing about either Redman or Dwyer and to imply that they don't have such ability disses both of them.

I've always believed that Mendy is better at running to the outside or serving as a pass-catcher out of the backfield than a "through-the-line" power back (think Fast Willie) and I DO NOT see him as having the ability to pound the ball straight ahead as Dwyer and Redman have done.

I think Mendy has a role in this team but I'm not sure that "Starting Running Back" should be it.

Thouights?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: Rashard Mendenhall will be starter

Mendy is a starting caliber back, and the others are not. The coaches is simply confirming this. Again, go watch Dwyers performances int hose big games he had. Any time he had a decent run he was winded and whining to come out. That's not a starting back.

Dwyer and Redman combined have less than half of Mendy's career rushing yards, and what, like a 5th of his TD's? Are we forgetting the early games this year where this awesome duo were putting up a combine 40 yards per game? Yes, the line was bad, but that was the same bad line Mendy has put up multiple 1000+ yard seasons with. And we have yet to see him run from behind the newly cohesive line this year.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,138 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Mendy is a starting caliber back, and the others are not. The coaches is simply confirming this. Again, go watch Dwyers performances int hose big games he had. Any time he had a decent run he was winded and whining to come out. That's not a starting back.

Dwyer and Redman combined have less than half of Mendy's career rushing yards, and what, like a 5th of his TD's? Are we forgetting the early games this year where this awesome duo were putting up a combine 40 yards per game? Yes, the line was bad, but that was the same bad line Mendy has put up multiple 1000+ yard seasons with. And we have yet to see him run from behind the newly cohesive line this year.
You may be right, but I think that Mendenhall is overrated (always have) and then there's the idea of going with whatever is working or the "hot hand".
I think that although both Redman and Dwyer are more "raw". I think each of them has more long term potential than Mendenhall ever had. Like I said, Mendy - to me - is more of an outside / pass-catching back and has never impressed me as a power rusher.

But like you said, he had a pretty crappy line in front of him and now that seems better, so we'll see if that makes a difference.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

I fully believe Mendy will go elsewhere next year. However, I'm not convinced we'll be ok, as some others here are. If I had to lay money, I'd bet on Mendy leaving, our run game bogging down next year as the current group struggles, then another early round RB pick the following year to address the issue.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,107 Times in 2,619 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i hope he comes back strong this year to prove the doubters wrong. he is our best RB
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I have always said Mendy was just wrong for BA's offense, Haleys off may be just what he needed, but if he wants to stay in the Burgh, he needs to string together an exceptional rest of the season to prove his worth, otherwise they will let him walk.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,107 Times in 2,619 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

not to mention he had 1000 yard seasons behind that train wreck of an o-line we had in the past few years, he could do some damage behind the one we have right now

those run plays where dwyer / red are getting 10-15 yard gainers could easily be 30+ with mendy carrying the rock, he just has that breakaway speed/acceleration that premier NFL backs have and they do not.

todd haley's offense will get him in space where he's dangerous, and with the improved o-line / will johnson, just watch
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
Rick5895 (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Mendy will explode in this offense if he is healthy.. Just watch.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

I don't even know anymore.
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,803 Times in 1,825 Posts
My Mood: Fine

my gut says there is going to be some rust on his part, and some tweaking to do to see what works

I'm not so sure I'd go from him sitting around to carrying the load right away anyways if it were up to me. Put him in for about 10-12 carries and see what he does with it.

Who knows, the solidity of this line might be all he needs to do damage from anywhere

I do agree with you though. I'd like to see him get some opps in the flat

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote