Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default espn questioning bens skills

i was watching espn and they started to talk about bens amazing rookie season. and u know that the guys on there never agree so one thing lead to another and they started talking about how ben only had a good '04 season because steelers had a great defense and a dominant running game. i was thinking that that was half true.yes our defense was fantastic but our running game was anything except dominant. bettis(the starter) had 941 yards rushing and a 3.8 ypc. not bad for a guy that weighs 250. but i dont count that dominant.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: espn questioning bens skills

All I know the Steelers wouldn't have been 15-1 and made the AFC title if Tommy Maddox would have started all year. I see let everybody continue to doubt Ben and crack jokes on him. We know how special Ben is. So who cares what everybody else thinks.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

He led all starting QBs in yards per attempt with an 8.89 yard average (Peyton Manning is second with an 8.74 yard average).

All that crap Manning does before the snap certainly has an effect on ESPN analysts but not on the facts...numbers don't lie.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
steelcity984
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2312

We finished I believe 3rd in rushing in 04.

But yeah, Ben has more important throws than any other quarterback in football due to the amount of time the Steelers run the ball. He has to throw a ton of passes on third down.
steelcity984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Ffffffft. If there's no controversy, their job is to create one.

Ben, like every other qb in the league, is on "what have you done for me lately" time. I have all the confidence in the world that a month from now those guys are going to pretend they never said those words, because this guy's the real deal. He loves to win and has the tools and the attitude and the smarts.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity984
We finished I believe 3rd in rushing in 04.

But yeah, Ben has more important throws than any other quarterback in football due to the amount of time the Steelers run the ball. He has to throw a ton of passes on third down.
the steelers ran with bettis 250 times and over 100 times with duce 50 with willie. all im saying is we didnt have the clinton portis 1500yds or the LTs 1500 with a 5 yards per carry. that is what a dominant running game is too me.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2700

The "analysts" want to see him fail and aren't ready to tout him has the next greatest thing because of their current "Wonder Boy" in Boston. Ben continues to defy all odds so they are setting up the failure so IF it ever does happen they can take the credit for it. For example, the sophomore slump... unless you want to call his performance in the SB his slump for the year, that's fine he has a big fat ring on his finger.

I'm surprised they haven't started talking about a Junior Slump (if there is such a thing). The bottom line is Ben has been on top of his game from day one, (I still think if he had a few more minutes in the Baltimore game in 04 the Steelers would have been 16-0) look at his passer rating, YPA, Comp %, TD to INT ratio... The list goes go on... I will take a consistent QB who puts up solid numbers year after year and knows how to get the ball down field when it counts. It's not all about 4500 yards a season and 30 TD's, what does Manning have to show for it... his name in the record books? Ben has been simply amazing and I don't see him slowing down one bit. Let the "analyst" talk about him, it adds fuel to the fire!

On a side note, has anyone noticed that it always seems like when Ben is in the game and the Steelers are trailing he finds a way to get some points on the board? I would be curious to see how many times the Steelers have scored, when trailing and after the opposing team has put points on the board...

Last edited by AZ_Steeler; 08-08-2006 at 06:52 PM.
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #8
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698

here's the article....

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...26id%3d2542482

Roethlisberger among worst decision makers
By KC Joyner
ESPN Insider
Archive

Editor's note: This is an expanded version of a passage that appears in Scientific Football 2006.

I track more than 100 metrics in every NFL game, but the most misunderstood and controversial of these has to be the bad decision metric for quarterbacks. The bad decision metric is the method I use to track a quarterback's mistakes. Simply put, if the quarterback makes a decision with the ball that either could have led or did lead to a turnover, he is debited with a bad decision on the play.

The most common types of bad decisions are:

1. Forcing a pass into coverage
2. Staring at a receiver
3. Throwing the ball despite being tackled
4. Misreading a zone defense and not seeing a defender in the passing lane.

On each of these types of plays, the quarterback is noted as having made a bad decision. There are game situations that can force a quarterback to throw the ball into coverage (e.g., on fourth-and-30, Hail Mary plays, etc.) that will not be ruled as bad decisions.

If the quarterback's mistake did not lead to a turnover (e.g., a dropped interception, a recovered fumble, etc.), the mistake is given only one bad decision point. If the mistake led to a turnover, however, it is given two mistake points and also is subject to a graduating scale of points based on how damaging the turnover was (e.g., an additional point for an interception killing a scoring drive, another additional point if the interception led to the opponent's being set up in scoring position, etc.). The scale has an upper limit of five points for any single bad decision.

Bad decision rankings are based on two percentage bases. The first is the standard bad decision percentage. To calculate this, I take the number of bad decisions a quarterback generated and divide it by the total number of attempts. The second percentage rating is the weighted bad decision percentage. This is calculated by taking the number of bad decision points and dividing it by the total number of attempts.

So, which quarterbacks were the best and worst decision makers in the NFL in 2005 according to Scientific Football 2006? At the bottom, I'll list the top five and bottom five in each category. But first, I'll analyze some of the more interesting QBs and where they fell as good or bad decision makers.

Good decision makers:
? Tom Brady: The best decision maker in 2005 was Tom Brady, and it wasn't even a close race. Brady made only four bad decisions in 549 attempts, which equates to a ridiculously low 0.7 percent bad decision percentage. No other quarterback came close to falling under the 1 percent mark in that category. Brady also had only nine bad decision points, and his 1.6 percent weighted bad decision percentage was also easily the best.

? Drew Bledsoe: The perception of Bledsoe is that he makes a lot of mistakes, but the metrics tell a different story. Bledsoe did rank next to last in the NFL for most interceptions thrown last year (17), but he had just 10 bad decisions. His 1.9 percent bad decision rate was the fourth best in the league, and he was only 0.2 percentage points behind Peyton Manning in that category. Bledsoe did have 21 bad decision points (tied for 28th worst in that category), but his high number of pass attempts meant his weighted bad decision percentage barely missed making the top 10.

? Byron Leftwich: Leftwich often is lauded for a number of his positive traits but his good decision making isn't normally one of them. It should be, as Leftwich ranked in the top seven in both bad decision and weighted bad decision percentage. That he did this despite throwing the second-highest percentage of deep passes (nearly 20 percent of his pass attempts were deep) is a testament to his ability to be aggressive while simultaneously protecting the ball.

Bad decision makers:
? Aaron Brooks: Brooks had a number of problems last year, but his biggest by far was his decision making. His 4.9 percent bad decision percentage was the fifth worst in the NFL, and his weighted bad decision percentage was almost into double digits (9.8 percent). Those percentages were nearly twice as high as his 2004 totals, so he is certainly capable of performing better.

? Matt Hasselbeck: Hasselbeck had a fantastic season last year almost across the board, but his 17 bad decisions and 26 bad decision points were both tied for the seventh-highest total in their respective categories. The West Coast offense operated by the Seahawks is not a high-risk offense, and that makes Hasselbeck's performance in this metric a bit more perplexing.

? Brett Favre: It should come as no surprise that Favre had the highest number of bad decisions and bad decision points in 2005. To put his 53 bad decision points into perspective, one could add the totals of nearly any two other quarterbacks in the NFL last year and they still wouldn't surpass Favre's total. Favre's saving grace from a percentage perspective was his extremely high number of pass attempts (he was the only quarterback to top 600 attempts in 2005), but he still ranked in the bottom 10 in both bad decision percentage categories. Green Bay will need a dramatic improvement from Favre in this aspect of his game if the Packers want to be competitive in 2006.

? Ben Roethlisberger: Big Ben's 2005 season provides proof that you can win despite having high bad decision percentages. Roethlisberger ranked dead last in the bad decision percentage category and had the fifth-highest weighted bad decision percentage. He was able to get away with those elevated percentages because he had by far the highest yards per pass attempt in 2005 (9.1 yards, the only QB to top the 9-yard mark). If the YPA number drops at all in 2006, Roethlisberger's bad decision percentages will need to show improvement.

Here are the top and bottom five in each percentage category:
I-Want-Troy's-Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

If you want to compare stats... lets say for Big Ben... he had what 17 td's and 9 ints... right?.... well how many td's did Manning have in INDY? or last year when he broke the Marino record for TD passes... Now... would you trade Super Bowl XL for those TD's the past 5 years of Manning or combine all the TD"s that Marino and Manning have thrown in their careers ? No... I Didnt Think So!!
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:34 PM   #10
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote