Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
bhandsome08
Water Boy

Member Number: 24495
Default Troy Polamalu

With the defense finally coming together, will Troy's return disrupt the way the D is playing or will it Make the defense a lot more potent?
bhandsome08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: Troy Polamalu

Dear Troy, you need more rest.

signed>>> the coaches

our secondary is just fine as it is

Will Allen and the Clarkster are scaring the shit out of some WR's.....carry on.... + when even our CB's can cover?....look out

can I get an Amen?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Haley For This Useful Post:
FanSince72 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

+ I bet nobody even knows who Will Allen is...

Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,466 Times in 3,546 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

troy if he's at least 90% will be better than allen anyday. if he isn't, let him sit more. a 75%-80% troy will probably hurt more than it helps
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

There isnt anyone on the team with the instincts Troy has, period. If he is healthy he plays, fortunately we dont need to rush him back now.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rotorhead For This Useful Post:
teegre (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
There isnt anyone on the team with the instincts Troy has, period. If he is healthy he plays, fortunately we dont need to rush him back now.
I think troy should start playing a tad more of a conservative role when he's playing pass coverage. It seems like he's been guessing wrong, more and more on some of his attempts to read or fool qb's. Maybe he lost a step so he may not quite have the speed in which he needs to pull off those amazing troy plays. But we can't deny the splash plays are down, and the bad reads and injuries are up. He's still a beast of run support, but he also needs to learn better, safer tackling skills. He's been missing tackles a lot and I think he injures himself more often making a tackle in weird unnatural body positions. Or getting concused from performing his trademark head first torpedo into a rushing knee.

I love troy and I want to keep him around longer, I think Rooney needs to tell Dick LeBeau that Troy needs to "tweak his play" a bit.

Heal fast and stay healthy Troy and Steelers Nation!
grward (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,636 Times in 10,397 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
That!!!

I say wait until the doctors say that he is healthy... and then wait three more games. I want him 100%... not 90%... or even 95%... I want 100%. Otherwise, he is more than likely going to RE-INJURE himself.

Thankfully, as you said, with Allen's play, there is NO need to rush him back.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,286 Times in 650 Posts

Maybe this year, we can flip flop. Troy injured at the beginning of the season and then healthy at the end. A 100% healthy troy deep in the playoffs and the super bowl makes things very interesting.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,636 Times in 10,397 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Maybe this year, we can flip flop. Troy injured at the beginning of the season and then healthy at the end. A 100% healthy troy deep in the playoffs and the super bowl makes things very interesting.
That is exactly my thoughts... injured early... lose early... and then get healhty & peak in January & February.

They will get back Troy... and DD. Heck, by then, even Casey & Keisel will be healthier.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #10
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,807 Times in 6,075 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Polamalu brightens Steelers injury report, could return against Ravens

November 7, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There may finally be some light at the end of the tunnel for Troy Polamalu. He hasn't played since Oct. 7.

It appears that Antonio Brown and Chris Rainey are out, and Jonathan Dwyer is in.

Some of the most important injury news Mike Tomlin presented Tuesday, however, was that Troy Polamalu may return in time to play Nov. 18 against the Baltimore Ravens.

As well as the Steelers have played on defense recently, having their seven-time Pro Bowl safety and former NFL defensive player of the year back in the lineup should make them even more dominant.

Or would he?

The Steelers are 3-1 since Will Allen moved into Polamalu's spot at strong safety, replacing Ryan Mundy. Allen will get his fifth consecutive start Monday night against the Kansas City Chiefs. He won't get a sixth as long as Polamalu is healthy and there's no reason to explain why.

What Allen has done, though, is bring stability to the position while one of their best players has been out. The Steelers rank as the No. 1 defense in the NFL in fewest yards allowed and also in fewest passing yards allowed.

Before this season, the Steelers were 13-10 without Polamalu, not nearly the kind of success they have had with him in the starting lineup (76-29). With Mundy at strong safety, they were 1-1 this season (0-1 with Mundy playing for free safety Ryan Clark in Denver). Polamalu has played in two games, which the Steelers split.

"Will's done a nice job for us playing in place of Troy over the last couple weeks," Tomlin said. "The assets of his game are he's a deliberate run-force guy, he's got good range and he's consistently physical.

"He's flexible positionally, but we're not doing anything different with Ryan because he's in there. Ryan has the ability to play both strong safety and free safety and does quite often when paired with Troy. He's still able to do that with Will because of his versatility."

Polamalu, 31, injured his right calf while practicing the week before the first game, then said he aggravated it in the opener. He skipped the next two games and returned three weeks after the opener following the team's off week to start Oct. 7 against Philadelphia.

He left that game in the first quarter and has not returned to play or practice. The Steelers have not described the specifics of the injury but there was a report that his calf was torn. He has been with the team and been taking treatment on it at the training facility on the South Side. He has declined to talk about his injury or when he might return to play.

Polamalu played in 22 consecutive games before he missed the second game this season. He missed two games near the end of the 2010 season because of an Achilles injury. This year has taken on the look of '09, when Polamalu left the opening game with a knee injury, missed the next four, and played in four more before his knee was reinjured and his season ended.

Who will start?

Rashard Mendenhall no longer is the clear-cut starting halfback. Tomlin made that clear without offering names when asked how he would use his backs when all are healthy.

"Whoever's being productive when healthy is going to get the totes. I really think it's that simple. I'm not going to make it any more complex than it has to be.

"At times this season we've had a running back-by-committee approach because none of them had been overly effective at that time. When someone's effective, they'll get the ball."

Tomlin said Mendenhall (Achilles) will get some work this week but characterized him as questionable to play. He said Jonathan Dwyer, who missed Sunday's game with a thigh injury, "has a strong chance to play.''

Dwyer rushed for consecutive 100-yard games before Sunday, when Redman took over and rushed for 147 yards against the Giants.

So, which of those two will start against the Chiefs?

CB Lewis praised

Tomlin praised the play of cornerback Keenan Lewis, who leads the team with 15 passes defensed, nearly double those of the next highest, Ike Taylor with eight.

Lewis also has moved into the No. 4 spot on the team with 31 tackles and has a forced fumble to his credit.

"I think the arrow has been pointed up with Keenan," Tomlin said. "More than anything, he's been consistently challenging and competing with just about every throw. I think that's a great place for solid corner play to begin, to challenge throws consistently. He has done that, has been productive and has been a big component of why we've been hot, particularly on the back end in recent weeks."

The arrow has gone way up on Lewis at ProFootballFocus.com, where the play of each NFL player is analyzed and ranked. Earlier, Lewis ranked 91 out of 100 cornerbacks. He has improved to a tie for 43. PFF ranks nickel back Cortez Allen in a tie for 26 and Taylor at 63.

Brown unlikely to play

Tomlin did not sound optimistic that Antonio Brown (ankle) would play against the Chiefs: "We will leave the door ajar, but usually those are not positive things, particularly for someone that earns a living the way he does with his short-area quickness and change of direction."

He was more optimistic about Chris Rainey (ribs): "It's going to be big-time uncomfortable, but he has an opportunity to play. We'll see where it takes us as we push through the week. His participation might be limited in the early parts of the week."

Emmanuel Sanders will return kickoffs and punts if Brown and Rainey are unavailable.

Tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle) could resume some work this week and could possibly be ready to play vs. Baltimore. Stevenson Sylvester (hamstring) is questionable.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2BVz6qIAt