Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #21
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Default Re: Troy Polamalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I disagree, Spence will stay at ILB and will be the eventual successor to Larry Foote, not Troy Polamalu.
We can agree to disagree, but that's the way I see it. His talent and skill set seems to me to belong there. Either way, we still will need a safety.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,119 Times in 536 Posts
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: Really Troy?

I really, sincerely doubt his commercials have anything at all to do with his injuries.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #23
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,592 Times in 5,991 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I think it really depends on the draft next year because I could envision him having success at either position. If a good ILB falls into our laps in the first round, I would imagine we would try and convert him to safety. If we draft a safety (or anything besides ILB), I think we'll keep him where he's at.
the Steelers have never once mentioned moving Sean Spence to the safety position nor did they ever do it this pre-season. Spence was drafted as a result of his pass coverage abilities as an ILB, something which is very important in today's NFL against RBs and TEs the likes of Ray Rice and Rob Gronkowski.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I think it really depends on the draft next year because I could envision him having success at either position. If a good ILB falls into our laps in the first round, I would imagine we would try and convert him to safety. If we draft a safety (or anything besides ILB), I think we'll keep him where he's at.

Spence is a weird player (in a good way), he's small for a conventional ILB and big for a conventional safety.

I am glad someone has watched enough footage to see this as well.

All of this being said, we still need Troy back for a SB run THIS season.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #25
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post

I am glad someone has watched enough footage to see this as well.
then why do you suppose there is no footage of Spence being tried at the safety position during pre-season while 100% of his pre-season footage shows him playing ILB?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Threads merged.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #27
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Quote:
the Steelers have never once mentioned moving Sean Spence to the safety position nor did they ever do it this pre-season. Spence was drafted as a result of his pass coverage abilities as an ILB, something which is very important in today's NFL against RBs and TEs the likes of Ray Rice and Rob Gronkowski.
I know they never said that. I am only looking at his skill set and talent. I have watched how he sees plays develop and how he is quick to close in on it. He tackles properly and efficiently. He is also a little undersized as a linebacker. You can argue with me all day about it, but that is simply my opinion. I do not really care whether he plays linebacker or safety, he will be great once he gets healthy next season.

Once again, Troy Polamalu needs to get healthy. Troy may also need to re-think the way he works out in the off-season. It seems that his conditioning is not as good because of it.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #28
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post
I know they never said that. I am only looking at his skill set and talent. I have watched how he sees plays develop and how he is quick to close in on it. He tackles properly and efficiently. He is also a little undersized as a linebacker. You can argue with me all day about it, but that is simply my opinion. I do not really care whether he plays linebacker or safety, he will be great once he gets healthy next season.
I respect your opinion and you're a great guy, I actually thought the Steelers might try Spence out at S in pre-season also but when they didn't and from all of the post-draft comments I read from our LB coach Butler I believe the Steelers will keep Spence at ILB.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #29
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
I respect your opinion and you're a great guy, I actually thought the Steelers might try Spence out at S in pre-season also but when they didn't and from all of the post-draft comments I read from our LB coach Butler I believe the Steelers will keep Spence at ILB.

Spence certainly looks like a safety, but I think it's a safe bet that he'll play ILB to help in pass coverage and speed rushing the QB.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #30
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Quote:
then why do you suppose there is no footage of Spence being tried at the safety position during pre-season while 100% of his pre-season footage shows him playing ILB?
I watched quite a bit of his college footage. Sure he wasn't tried in the safety position. Our DB coach, Carnell Lake, also played linebacker in college. He then went on to be a SS for the Steelers. He stepped into a CB role when needed as well. I would be surprised if he didn't see quite a bit of himself in the way Sean Spence plays.

Then again, this thread is not about Sean Spence (I know, I started the Spence thing). This is about Troy Polamalu. Obviously, the Steelers need Polamalu in the line-up this season to make a good playoff run. I was thinking about a possible future replacement.