Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Inj updates - Steelers notebook: WR Brown expected to miss Chiefs game

Receiver Antonio Brown (sprained ankle) isn’t likely to play Monday against Kansas City despite the extra day of rest he’ll get.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday it’s possible an extra receiver will be added to the 53-man roster.

Emmanuel Sanders , who had a 63-yard punt return against the Giants, will stay in that role if Brown can’t play, and he may add kickoff return duties if running back Chris Rainey is limited by his rib cartilage injury.

Rainey could play, but Tomlin said he will be in “big time discomfort.”

• Troy Polamalu (calf) and Marcus Gilbert (ankle) are all but certain to be sidelined — Polamalu for the fifth consecutive game — but could get work in practice for the first time in weeks. There’s a chance Polamalu could play Nov. 18 against the Ravens.

Gilbert had his protective boot removed late last week. Running back Jonathan Dwyer (quadriceps) is expected back after missing the Giants game, and Rashard Mendenhall (Achilles) will get a heavier practice load this week.

• With Dwyer back, Mendenhall on the mend and Isaac Redman coming off his 147-yard game against the Giants, Tomlin must sort out who gets the carries against the Chiefs on Monday. The offensive linemen seem to prefer having one running back getting all or most of the carries because it’s easier to mesh when a line starts anticipating where a back is going. Tomlin didn’t name a starter and said the running back who “gets the totes” will be the one who is running well.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz2BXx7Q3bh
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
lotas
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1176
Default Re: Inj updates - Steelers notebook: WR Brown expected to miss Chiefs game

Let Brown rest, it gives Sanders a chance to prove himself and step up. Fine with me. Cotchery is a great #3.
lotas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lotas For This Useful Post:
truesteelerfan (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,451 Times in 1,640 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Inj updates - Steelers notebook: WR Brown expected to miss Chiefs game

two words for this team right now: quality depth

Only the Steelers could have someone like Cotchery, with sure hands, as a fill-in for the #3 spot

Gilbert, don't really care so much right now - let him fix a few other things other than his injury from what I'm hearin

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
SteelKid212
Starter

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotas View Post
Let Brown rest, it gives Sanders a chance to prove himself and step up. Fine with me. Cotchery is a great #3.
agreed! Thank goodness we have a deep receiving corps. I have full confidence these receivers are going to have a field day this next Monday
Old 11-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

which WR would you want to see off the practice squad?

David Gilreath or Toney Clemons?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

I would like ot see Gilreath, but I dont think they will bring one up off the PS and then have to get him to clear waivers, etc. I guess we go the 3 WR's on gameday and keep in mind that there are 3 TE's on the roster as well.

Let Gilbert, Troy, AB, Rainey recover. Get some more guys reps at Punt return this week in case of injury. Batch can work on kickoff return. Next Man Up!!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,337 Times in 3,987 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

Steelers to promote WR David Gilreath to the active roster in wake of Antonio Brown injury

By Neal Coolong on Nov 7

Such a move would all but confirm Brown's absence for the Steelers' Week 10 game against the Kansas City Chiefs. It would also bring with it the removal of a player from the 53-man roster.

Tribune-Review reporter Mark Kaboly tweeted Wednesday the Steelers plan to sign wide receiver David Gilreath from its practice squad before the Steelers' Week 10 game on Monday Night Football against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The move would be in response to the ankle injury suffered by WR Antonio Brown in Week 9 against the Giants. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Brown isn't expected to play in Week 10. Signing Gilreath would essentially be a confirmation of that.

The Steelers announced earlier Wednesday they signed free agenty WR Derek Moye to their practice squad, so clearly another move will follow.

Without Brown, the Steelers would only have three wide receivers active, barring a move, so clearly the Gilreath move is coming, and Brown won't play Monday.

Pittsburgh has been living by the run the last three games anyway, and elimination of seldom-used 4WR sets - assuming tight end Heath Miller isn't used as the fourth wide receiver in that formation - wouldn't hurt much.

Gilreath performed well in the preseason, prompting some to push for his inclusion on the team's active roster at the beginning of the year. He was cut and resigned to the team's practice squad.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...brown-week-10l
Old 11-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,488 Times in 2,333 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

cotchery and sanders will do just fine, rest brown
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,337 Times in 3,987 Posts
My Mood: Cool

by Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

With Antonio Brown and Chris Rainey both ailing, Emmanuel Sanderscould be the key to the Steelers return game this week.

“Emmanuel looked like a pretty good option to me last week,” said Tomlin. “The ball will be in his court first.”

He won’t be alone in being asked to step up, but Tomlin will also be cautious how he uses certain players.

“We’ve got capable candidates, some of which are limited in terms of what we will allow or ask them to do,” said Tomlin. “But we have capable guys. Mike Wallace has returned kicks in the past. We’ll leave no stone unturned in terms of being competent in that area and I know that we have a lot of guys that are willing and capable volunteers.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...f-905867c60117
Old 11-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Let em rest and next man up! Gotta love our depth!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote