Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #21
wera176
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18645
Default Re: Ike Taylor, AFC defensive player of the week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
although I do agree that Ike played well, I actually thought Keenan Lewis played better.
Lewis played very well, for sure.

Although I think we'd need to watch the game film to really know who played better.

And what a good argument to get to have!
wera176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #22
wera176
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySteel86 View Post
Ike has been getting help from Clark the last few weeks. Where ever Ike go, Clark go. He's not left on an island anymore. Has anybody else notice this?
Yeah, and why not? It worked. We doubled AJ and rendered the Bungles pass offense pretty ineffective. We doubled Cruz and we all know what happened there. Both those teams have a decent drop off from their #1 receiver to their other options so we should double team #1.

BTW, AJ had a pretty decent game against one Champ Bailey and Denver. So Ike and the D did something right there. And that WR from Denver that made Ike look bad in two games in a row has made a lot of people look bad since.

I have no explanation for that Titans game though, Ike was horrid in that one...
Old 11-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #23
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by wera176 View Post
Yeah, and why not? It worked. We doubled AJ and rendered the Bungles pass offense pretty ineffective. We doubled Cruz and we all know what happened there. Both those teams have a decent drop off from their #1 receiver to their other options so we should double team #1.

BTW, AJ had a pretty decent game against one Champ Bailey and Denver. So Ike and the D did something right there. And that WR from Denver that made Ike look bad in two games in a row has made a lot of people look bad since.

I have no explanation for that Titans game though, Ike was horrid in that one...
Oh don't get me wrong, I love the strategy. Just wished they did it a lot sooner. Also this works well cause Lewis is taking opposing teams #2 WR's completely out the picture. That and Will Allen is a very good cover safety so he can take out almost any TE. I love Troy, but his coverage skills isn't his strong suit. Couple all that and Qb's have nowhere to throw, hince Eli's horrific passer rating Sunday.
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #24
wera176
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySteel86 View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, I love the strategy. Just wished they did it a lot sooner. Also this works well cause Lewis is taking opposing teams #2 WR's completely out the picture. That and Will Allen is a very good cover safety so he can take out almost any TE. I love Troy, but his coverage skills isn't his strong suit. Couple all that and Qb's have nowhere to throw, hince Eli's horrific passer rating Sunday.
Yep.

What I think I saw in Ike during the Titan's game was a corner who had lost his confidence (swagger). Maybe these well played games will help him get it back. I do know I'd not relish being a WR with Clark somewhere behind me...

Plus they have started getting some pressure on QBs. Maybe not sacks, but they aren't letting them get as comfortable.
The Following User Says Thank You to wera176 For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #25
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,960 Times in 4,646 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Steelers: CB Ike Taylor's player of the week honor nod to Pittsburgh defense

By Chris Adamski | CBSSports.com
November 7, 2012

CB Ike Taylor, who intercepted Eli Manning in Pittsburgh's win over the Giants, is a key member of a Steelers' defense that has risen to the top of the league rankings and answered critics who said they were too old. (US Presswire)

Old. Slow. It's over.

Former Steelers antagonist and current NFL TV analyst Warren Sapp uttered those words about Pittsburgh's defense after a season-opening loss last year.

Pittsburgh promptly led the NFL in yards allowed while going 12-4.

Then, when the Steelers fell to 2-3 last month with a 26-23 loss to the lowly Tennessee Titans, Sapp tweeted similar sentiments about the Steeler defense.

He likely doesn't share those opinions now.

After shutting down QB Eli Manning and the New York Giants on Sunday, the Steelers moved to the top of the league rankings for total defense and passing defense.

As something of a token for that accomplishment, CB Ike Taylor was named AFC defensive player of the week Wednesday. Taylor had an interception, five tackles and added a pass breakup. Mostly, though, Taylor was just the headliner for a secondary that held Manning to season lows in completions (10) and passing yards (125).

"Everybody's pretty much found themselves," Taylor said after extolling the work of CB Keenan Lewis, S Will Allen, S Ryan Clark, CB Cortez Allen and others. "Yeah, we had a slow start -- but we're just trying to build right now."

Taylor's interception was the 14th of his career -- by his own admission, he has notoriously bad hands -- and it was the fourth this season for the Steelers. An opportunity to improve on that total comes Monday night with the Kansas City Chiefs in town. The Chiefs have thrown an NFL-worst 14 interceptions.

"We've just got to start making those interceptions when we have the opportunities," Lewis said. "We're doing good things; we just need to get our offense the ball in some easy situations so they can make plays."

That's something opponents aren't doing on the Steelers. Pittsburgh has allowed just two pass plays of 40-plus yards this season (only the New York Jets have allowed less) and just 15 passing plays of 20 or more yards (tied with Detroit for the least in the league).

The run defense has been stout, too -- but in today's pass-happy NFL, effectively stopping the pass has been at the forefront of a defensive effort that has allowed only 49 points during this three-game winning streak (taking away the defensive touchdown off a fumble recovery that was somehow held up by replay review Sunday in New Jersey, the Pittsburgh defense is permitting only 14 points per game the last three weeks).

The player of the week honor for Taylor is just a manifestation of that total defensive effort.

"We're excited any time one of our guys gets that award," DE Brett Keisel said. "That means you're playing well. Usually, they're not going to give that to a team that lost the game, so that means we're winning, and Ike's playing tough and the defense is playing tough."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...sburgh-defense