Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #21
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,074 Times in 511 Posts
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: Dwyer or Redman

"By committing to a primary runner as opposed to a runner by committee has also played a big role in that," Starks told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this week. "Having a guy know he can run -- and if it doesn't go well, they're going to shelve him and put a guy in for couple plays. Knowing you're committed to him and allowing him to get a feel for the game, to get into a rhythm with us, I think that's the biggest thing, having that continuity."

IDK if that was the quote you were looking for...
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #22
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,462 Times in 9,910 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
"By committing to a primary runner as opposed to a runner by committee has also played a big role in that," Starks told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this week. "Having a guy know he can run -- and if it doesn't go well, they're going to shelve him and put a guy in for couple plays. Knowing you're committed to him and allowing him to get a feel for the game, to get into a rhythm with us, I think that's the biggest thing, having that continuity."

IDK if that was the quote you were looking for...
I don't know either... I was half awake...

Thanks, though... it touches upon what I was saying.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #23
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

I overheard BB and Tomlin talking this morning, at Starbucks:

TOMLIN: Man, I have problems...

BB: Me,too.

TOMLIN: I have to decide which one of these RBs to start.

BB: I have too many receivers, but only one ball.

TOMLIN: Dwyer had back-to-back 100 yard games, and was alternating between juking players and running over people.

BB: Sounds a lot like Heath Miller... who I love to throw to.

TOMLIN: Then, there is Droppy Mendenspin, who bursts through the hole, and then leaves everyone in his rearview mirror.

BB: Hmmm... reminds me of Mike Wallace.

TOMLIN: Then there is Redman, who jukes & spins and plows forward, when necessary, in order to get that first down yardage... and then some.

BB: Wait... are you talking about AB???

TOMLIN: Then, I have this other guy who could start for a few teams, and is just plain good.

BB: Ah.. Cotchery?

TOMLIN: Well, him too... but, I was talking about Chris Rainey.

BB: Ah... I like passing to him, as well.

TOMLIN: So,..???

BB: So... what???

TOMLIN: Which one do I start?

BB: I'll make you a deal. You tell me who to throw the ball to, and I will tell you to start at RB.

TOMLIN: Deal. You first.

BB: Uh... you first.

TOMLIN: Uh... wow... hmmm...

BB: Man, we've got problems.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #24
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Ok, Tomlin told Ben "Screw Wallace, throw it to Heath."

Then Ben told Tomlin to start Mendenhall, then Redman and lastly Dwyer. After that, Ben leaned over to Tomlin, and whispered in his ear "Chris Rainey says "Thanks for the compliment, but I can't be a starting back for any team in the NFL."
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokki View Post
I found a pic of Dwyer, just chilling.

AWESOME!!!!!
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #26
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,164 Times in 1,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Oh man... I read it this morning, while sitting up with the baby... I don't really remember the source (I was Googling at 4:00am).

Essentially, Tomlin commented about wanting to choose one RB to get most of the snaps, because it would help the O-line.

Similarly, over the years, I've heard other O-linemen (on ESPN, on the radio, at the gym)) talk about liking "one" RB better than a "committee"... because then then know how long to hold a block & such... and that they get timing with that "one" RB.
First off....sorry about the sleep deprivation, but its our badge of honor as parents.

I wish I heard that bit on the radio, because its not making entire sense to me. Guys have to keep blocking until the whistle, not until they think the RB is by them. On a combination block it may make a bit more sense, but realistically........there isnt much time difference between how long it takes Dwyer or Rainey to get to the line of scrimmage from 5 yards deep in the backfield.

I think its more mental than anything. Before you can beat the team opposing you, you have to beat the guy in front of you. O linemen have to worry about beating the guy in front of them and not who is getting the ball behind them!!! (that's my krusty o line coach impression of the day-- rant)
Old 11-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #27
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
First off....sorry about the sleep deprivation, but its our badge of honor as parents.

I wish I heard that bit on the radio, because its not making entire sense to me. Guys have to keep blocking until the whistle, not until they think the RB is by them. On a combination block it may make a bit more sense, but realistically........there isnt much time difference between how long it takes Dwyer or Rainey to get to the line of scrimmage from 5 yards deep in the backfield.

I think its more mental than anything. Before you can beat the team opposing you, you have to beat the guy in front of you. O linemen have to worry about beating the guy in front of them and not who is getting the ball behind them!!! (that's my krusty o line coach impression of the day-- rant)
SLEEP DEPRIVATION: The cool thing is that I actually like it. My wife "got" (had) to be the one to get up, when the baby was breast feeding... and now, I am the one who "gets" (gets) to be up. It is a nice bonding time... different than when the baby is fully awake.

O-LINE: You would know more about O-line play than I do... but, with that said, I know that I've heard this time & time again (that O-linemen like getting in a rhythm with "one" RB). I remember specifically, when the Eagles O-line was having to block for Ricky Watters and someone else... and they wanted the coach to pick "one" RB.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #28
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

My vote would be Dwyer with Redman backing him up. And that with a nickel will get you a nickel.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #29
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Member Number: 24383

WooHoo. My 100th post! I know that might not seem like a lot to anyone but for me that's a good accomplishment and I get to share it with my Steelers friends!

I love this place!
ChristianKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #30
Daniel_Amos
Water Boy

Member Number: 24262

If Dwyer is 100% I would go with him. It is no knock on Redman as he would do just as well. I just have a gut feeling about Dwyer.
Daniel_Amos is offline   Reply With Quote