Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,319 Times in 3,489 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Keenan Lewis Worth 8 Million a Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
5 years, 30 million with 10-12 million dollars guaranteed. I'd hand that to him based on what he's done so far, and his potential.
i agree, that looks fair
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #12
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I agree that we should put him above Wallace. I don't think we will pay him 8 mill a year. Agree that it's probably in the 5yr/32 million dollar range.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #13
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

I will return to this at the end of the season. His contract is up at the end of it. We will see what he is truly worth. Too many games to be played until then.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,700 Times in 4,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
average cb's are making $6mil/year. the cream of the crop are making about $12mil.

in his first year starting, lewis is looking like a #1 CB on the leagues #1 pass defensive unit. he has also learned dick lebeaus system which is the most complex in the league.

i think the steelers would be tickled pink to lock him up for 5 years/$32.5mil with 15-16 guaranteed. i think he might be happy with that hometown discount.
That's true, there's a lot of average or mediocre CBs making around 6 million which is a little bit shocking to be completely honest with you. I also agree with the guy that said Lewis is outplaying Nnamdi - by a fairly substantial margin. The fact that Asomugha is making 11 million is also part of the Eagles' problems, but that's a whole other can of worms.

I think Keenan is honestly developing into our star in the secondary and deserves a pay raise, but what that pay raise is, I'm not sure yet. He hasn't made any game changing plays to help this team win, but I'm sure we all remember the missed pick against the Titans. If he makes that pick, the Steelers are 6-2. Guys that are making 8 million a year make that play and end the game for their team - something that Keenan hasn't been able to do yet with any consistency. To make the bigger bucks, you have to show more than high upside and potential in your youth.

I'd agree with Keenan taking the hometown discount if the Steelers keep Wallace. They've been friends since they were 5 - 6 and I feel that when the extension comes for Wallace, Keenan would accept a 5 year / 28 - 32 million deal.

He's going to be great, but I'm not sure he's worth that top 10 CB type money yet.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Lewis has made several game saving plays. They don't have to always be turnovers. Knocking that TD away from AJ Green comes to mind. And sending people packing on third down more than once in the past few games. He has been money. Not sure he is worth the 8 mil though.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #16
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

I don't know about 8mil. but a few more plays like he been doing and he will make the pro bowl like he promised.
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,700 Times in 4,778 Posts

I think this is relevant again now that the free agency talk is going to heat up.

Would you guys be happy with a 5 year / 40 million for Lewis?
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

any team can have him for that. if he was an 8 million a year CB we wouldnt have had William Gay and Mcfadden keepng him out of the starting role. see ya.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

No. Lewis is not worth 8 million a year. He has one career interception. QBs throwing at him have a rating of 80. That is right around average. Lewis will never generate turnovers- he will never be thrown at more often than he was in his first season as a starter.

I don't get the disconnect between fans wanting more turnovers and then also wanting to resign the number 2 corner who doesn't force turnovers for just under premier market value. There is no way the Steelers can sign Lewis for 8 million per without seriously damaging other parts of the team.

The emergence of Cortez Allen who is Keenan Lewis + turnovers makes this a no-brainer. Either draft a cb this round in the first or in 2015 when Taylor is through and pay them 5 mill a year to be the number one corner. Pay Allen NOW!!! Allen has shown he is going to be a game-changing corner... don't wait until he is asking 8-10 million per year.

Keep Lewis for 4.5 or less. There are too many big salaries on defense.

If Patrick Peterson and Asante Samuel are making 4.8 per year it is good enough for Keenan Lewis.

The Seattle Seahawks entire secondary will be making less than 8 million in 2013! I am talking about 5 corners and 4 safeties. Stop the madness!

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #20
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21937

Apparently he wants 5 years for something around 35 mil, that's not going to happen lol.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...fseason/page/2

Last edited by Justp94; 01-21-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Justp94 is offline   Reply With Quote