Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 AM   #61
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: Keenan Lewis Worth 8 Million a Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Has everyone gone retarded? Saying Lewis should get 8 million a season? The same guy who has spent a majority of his rookie contract on the bench? The same guy who wasnt guaranteed to make the roster prior to this season? The same guy who couldn't inseat William Gay? lol. A bad season brings about lots of delusionals. I'd consider 4 million.
Exactly. The guy has 1 career interception. I was going to sarcastically put up a Keenan Lewis career highlight film of his one interception but I couldn't find it online. He was an above-average corner for the Steelers last season and did a good job, however, he is not a game breaker and the pass defense suffered tremendously when Ike went down. I would like to see Lewis re-signed but let's be real- Mike Wallace should be the priority.

Ben's favourite target does not have a replacement on the roster. Cortez Allen has already shown he is a serviceable #2 corner who causes turnovers making Lewis replaceable.

Wallace and Lewis were both drafted in 2009. 32 career touchdowns vs 1 career interception and everyone has lost their minds and decided Lewis is the priority.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #62
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Leading the league in pass defenses is a pretty good place to start. To your argument that he couldn't 'unseat Gay', well, no young guys get to play on defense, remember? This is LeBeau's system and, until the players decide it's time to stop playing, they're going to keep playing. It's a ridiculous and harmful ideology, but it's the one that Dick has implemented over recent years and it's part of the reason why we're in cap hell right now.

They progress over their initial three years, start their fourth year and play very, very well and then get lucrative deals. So, we're always behind the eight-ball when it comes to players starting and insist that the older guys play, despite the fact that they're often unproductive. In Keisel's case, they're made defensive Captain.

So, yes, Lewis was probably developing and could have been this good two years ago if given the chance but due to some misguided and flat out stupid sense of loyalty, he didn't get to play. Maybe we need some new life in our defensive staff and not hire Butler who is going to implement the exact same system and ideology that Dick has right now.

Rants over.

So, this does tie into Lewis because frankly, he played like a 7 million / year CB last year and deserves to be paid accordingly. Now, he just needs to work on his hands.
7million dollar CBs intercept passes,Force fumbles and blanket receivers. He is a cover corner who is improving slowly
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #63
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
7million dollar CBs intercept passes,Force fumbles and blanket receivers. He is a cover corner who is improving slowly
And $10 million linebackers sack the QB...
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #64
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
Ike Taylor makes 7 a year. He does none of those things. He's a zone corner who can tackle well in the run game.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #65
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Ike Taylor makes 7 a year. He does none of those things. He's a zone corner who can tackle well in the run game.
And he is overpaid
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #66
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,963 Times in 3,374 Posts

Ike Taylor usually shuts down the other teams #1 receivers. He's not overpaid.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #67
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
Ike Taylor usually shuts down the other teams #1 receivers. He's not overpaid.
The Steelers run a lot of zone coverage, not man to man. Ike routinely passes off the receiver when he leaves his zone. In man to man, he'd follow him around the field.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #68
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,677 Times in 2,624 Posts

Jason LaConfora's opinion on the top DB free agents - Lewis is not on his list

1. Sean Smith: Has the skills and body to be a shutdown guy, and at age 25 is just entering his prime.

2. Cary Williams: Stepped up big time when Lardarius Webb got hurt, and his playoff performances are only helping his cause.

3. Mike Jenkins: Yet to put it all together for the Cowboys but teams were exploring trade options for him last year. Will draw interest.

4. Aqib Talib: If not for his off-field troubles, would be much higher. Staying under the watchful eye of Bill Belichick might be his best move.

5. Tracy Porter: Seems like he has been around longer, but at age 26 well positioned for free agency.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...shers-get-paid
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #69
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,963 Times in 3,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
The Steelers run a lot of zone coverage, not man to man. Ike routinely passes off the receiver when he leaves his zone. In man to man, he'd follow him around the field.
I thought the Steelers did more pattern-matching (waiting for the recievers to break into their routes and then playing man to man) rather than a exact zone coverage. And I also remember reading that Lebeau's schemes have the CB's playing man to man most of the time (I could be remembering that one wrong).

Either way, when Taylor is covering the other teams #1, they don't have good games. He is such an important part of this team, and hopefully Lewis and Allen will be there the next 10 years holding down the position.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #70
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,888 Times in 857 Posts
My Mood: Cool

If he wants more than 5 mil you let him walk, but we need to draft a decent corner R2/R3 and I'm sure coach Lake will turn him into a good/very good DB IMO