Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #11
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910
Default Re: Smizik: Taylor's talent terrific, timing terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
Well, the only way they have a chance to re-sign him is if they let Porter walk...other than that, he'll probably be gone. However, he's had only one good season thus far and I agree with the Steelers not rushing to get him signed. He's going to have to prove himself this year that he's worthy of a $10 million signing bonus, whether it's from the Steelers or another team, by having a solid year - maybe even a better year than last year.
doesnt sound like a bad idea to me. porter is starting to age a bit and will be on the decline in a few years...we have harrison who is young and just as good if not better behind porter. so why not let porter go after his contracts up? but then you also have to think when you lose porter, you lose not only his playing abiliity but his leadership as well.

tough decision, but if it were up to me i'd let porter go

then again we got McFadden backing up Taylor.....the talent we've been blessed with
Old 08-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #12
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

For the record...........Quentin Jammer was given an extension by the Chargers and received $13.5 million in bonuses. You do the math when it comes to Taylor.

Link to Jammer's extension: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nfl&id=2544605

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-09-2006 at 09:07 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

Here is the problem, other teams have set the bar ridiculously high. Henry and Jammer...give me a break, if those guys get 10-13 million, Ike will demand 15 right now and he would be right to do so. Anthony Henry
Old 08-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #14
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

McFadden is going to be the man to watch this year ...
I would love to see Taylor stay but with an extra year under his belt....I believe Mcfadden will be able to replace him next year....
Old 08-09-2006, 11:07 PM   #15
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

I think we do have the salary cap room to pay Ike a $10m bonus when you consider that we could let Porter walk away and take his $6m cap hit with him and this is likely Hartings last year so that's another $6m we have.

But honestly I'm not sure we pay it. Depends on how much confidence the team really has in McFadden.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:35 AM   #16
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightwriter07
I think Lebeau's system has alot to do with it... dont forget .. Taylor did get burned a few times last year when he was one on one with players and didnt have any help behind him. Pending what Troy is going to do, The CB's usually have help behind them... but are solo sometimes and Taylor was exposed and burned. That being said, he flashed some very good moments only to not be able to make that interception because he couldnt hang on to the ball.

I personally think Troy is a more valuable player, Big Bens contract is going to need to redone as well as some others and i just dont think that Taylor and his demands are going to be able to be met.

It is not just his agent, Taylor obviously has his sites on what he feels he should make or else a deal would have been done if Taylor wanted to remain a Steeler. They both think that he is going to be a Pro Bowl corner and should be paid like one now. Alot if players have potential.. and i think the Steelers are making the right move and not overpaying for him when we have very limited needs in the next 3 drafts and are able to take plenty of corners with the first few picks in each draft if needed or else free agency.
welcome back
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:52 AM   #17
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook
I think we do have the salary cap room to pay Ike a $10m bonus when you consider that we could let Porter walk away and take his $6m cap hit with him and this is likely Hartings last year so that's another $6m we have.
You also have to factor in Ben, Troy, Willie, and Max Starks. They're all gonna be commanding big money in the upcoming years, not to mention if we have anymore breakouts.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:53 AM   #18
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

Thanks for the welcome back.. had to take some time off ... =) I am ready to rock and roll and cant wait till Friday to get the season ( although preseason ) underway !!

Ummm regardless of Porter and hartings... Harting took a nice pay cut .. is only making 2.5 million for an ALL PRO CENTER ) this year ... it will still be tough to pay Ike what he wants when you factor in who TazmanionTroy pointed out. ( BEN, TROY, HAGGENS, PORTER, WILLIE, STARKS and lord knows whoever else. )

Remember, the Steelers do not know what the salary cap will be at for next year... so is hard for them to put down a contract of that size for a guy who has " potential" .

I wont go on, i know this topic has been covered for about a year now .. but i agree with front office.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:03 AM   #19
Spidey
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2758

If it's simply a case of letting Porter go, is it that simple?, we should let him go, . . . fill his shoes with Harrison and sign up Taylor!

Definately!
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #20
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lers
doesnt sound like a bad idea to me. porter is starting to age a bit and will be on the decline in a few years...we have harrison who is young and just as good if not better behind porter. so why not let porter go after his contracts up? but then you also have to think when you lose porter, you lose not only his playing abiliity but his leadership as well.

tough decision, but if it were up to me i'd let porter go

then again we got McFadden backing up Taylor.....the talent we've been blessed with
Decisions like this are always tough, but Porter is at an age now where the Steelers usually get hesitant about re-signing them to big money, and usually end up letting them go as FA. That's why Harrison was given a contract extension, because he is Porter's heir apparent, costs less and they won't lose one bit of intensity or playing ability at the position. With Porter looking for such a large contract, and you have a guy in Ike Taylor who is fast becoming one of the top cover corners in the league, it just makes sense to let Porter go, free up that cap space and show Taylor the money. As for McFadden, he is going to end up taking Deshea Townsend's spot at the other corner, if not this year then definitely next season.