Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #161
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
Yeah, I just wanted to bump this again and take back my eating of crow. They looked good against the Chiefs/Browns/Ravens so I thought the defense was turning it around.

They are still ranked #1 but scare nobody. The system no longer works.

It was the Chiefs/Browns/Ravens that we looked good against.

What was I thinking?
This system no longer works because it lacks the proper personnel.
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #162
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
I think that is part of it, but I wouldn't say they are lacking at every position. I think other teams have figured out how to beat Dick Lebeau. Like Brady and Manning have been doing for years.

You can dink and dunk this defense to death.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #163
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
Yeah, LeBeau's system relies on 6 or 7 Pro Bowlers playing at their peak. He is unable to scheme any pressure on the QB.

When is the last time a DB got a sack on a blitz? We either let Wood and Deebo try to beat their man, or give up with a 3-man containment "rush".
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #164
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

I don't think all of the defense's issues are on Dick LeBeau, but maybe it's time for a change. Over the last two seasons this defense has just gotten stale. It looks good stat-wise, but it doesn't get pressure on the QB and doesn't generate turnovers at the rate it used to. I also can't stand the fact that this defense is considered "too complex" for rookies or even second year players? If you need a PhD to play football, something is wrong. There are rookies on other teams that come into the league and make an impact with defenses that are probably much less complex.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoFor7 For This Useful Post:
plenewken (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #165
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
I don't think all of the defense's issues are on Dick LeBeau, but maybe it's time for a change. Over the last two seasons this defense has just gotten stale. It looks good stat-wise, but it doesn't get pressure on the QB and doesn't generate turnovers at the rate it used to. I also can't stand the fact that this defense is considered "too complex" for rookies or even second year players? If you need a PhD to play football, something is wrong. There are rookies on other teams that come into the league and make an impact with defenses that are probably much less complex.
Yes, we haven't had an impact rookie on defense since Kendrell Bell. That was before Lebeau came back and used rookies sparingly under the guise that the defense was super-duper-ridiculously complicated.

This defense was good after Lebeau left the first time. It was good before he came back. It will be good after he retires.

Tomlin gets all kinds of crap for "winning with Cowher's player" but somehow Lebeau gets a pass and seen as some type of deity.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a great coach, but he has been running the same scheme since the 80's with the Bengals.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #166
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
I think that is part of it, but I wouldn't say they are lacking at every position. I think other teams have figured out how to beat Dick Lebeau. Like Brady and Manning have been doing for years.

You can dink and dunk this defense to death.

i agree.
I think its a combination of 2 things (2 BIG things) :

1 - lack of good personnel. We need stronger, more physical presence up front on the line (see the 49ers, Texans, and some other teams for reference - we look weak and small in comparison, not to mention without the attitude they do). I won't even go into discussing the "corners".

2 - teams HAVE figured us out. Period. Expose our corners. Pass to the outside. Throw short passes to the outside. Throw longer passes to the outside. Both our non-existent pass rush and our terrible secondary has been figured out.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #167
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,644 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
i agree.
I think its a combination of 2 things (2 BIG things) :

1 - lack of good personnel. We need stronger, more physical presence up front on the line (see the 49ers, Texans, and some other teams for reference - we look weak and small in comparison, not to mention without the attitude they do). I won't even go into discussing the "corners".

2 - teams HAVE figured us out. Period. Expose our corners. Pass to the outside. Throw short passes to the outside. Throw longer passes to the outside. Both our non-existent pass rush and our terrible secondary has been figured out.
The injuries, while I hate to even talk about them as an excuse, are hampering our ability to adjust to these outside throws. Too many things to overcome for everything to be corrected. We take care of the outside, we'll be exposed in the middle. Too many guys having to have hybrid roles now to cover up deficiencies - this is why you see Woodley dropping back so much, even more now than before. Hell - might as well just go with the 3rd stringers and off the street dudes and let Troy play the line/QB the entire game and let him loose, wreak some havoc all game long. Might as well - why the heck not? The worst that will happen is a blowout - might as well see if Troy can do something exciting.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #168
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Another thing about this defense is that it's not aggressive enough. LeBeau thinks that eventually a team will make a mistake and a turnover will come. Wrong. Defenses have to make turnovers happen. Undercut a route and pick off a pass. When you sit in a 10 yard cushion and "tackle the catch," turnovers won't happen.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoFor7 For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #169
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,644 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Another thing about this defense is that it's not aggressive enough. LeBeau thinks that eventually a team will make a mistake and a turnover will come. Wrong. Defenses have to make turnovers happen. Undercut a route and pick off a pass. When you sit in a 10 yard cushion and "tackle the catch," turnovers won't happen.
Agreed!

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #170
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,430 Times in 4,019 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
good post and I totally agree