Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #181
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Member Number: 24383
Default Re: Big Bens Injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
The thing I remember most about it was the breathing difficulties. Couldn't really hear a "pop" or anything, but it hurt like hell for a good fifteen or twenty minutes before I was even able to move it. Spent ten minutes afraid to move it because I couldn't imagine something hurting THAT much and NOT being broken.
My question would be if it is that painful at a level 6 why is it he never showed any sort of pain whatsoever? I know he is tough but is it really that possible that he has such a high tollerance for pain that he doesn't show a glimpse of pain in the face, jaw or even the eye brows?

I am still on the fence on this one. I know Ben has played with a broken thumb, busted ankle and concussions that made him saying "dumb dumb didday" but that was in the past. Maybe he's getting tired of playing or maybe this is real. I don't know. I know I will personally miss his presence in the game and if he is really injured my prayers will go out to him. I have had 2 dislocated shoulders and they sucked. I can't imaging the pain he must be in having a separated SC. Eek! All that being said...

Ben, get well and you will be missed. Congratulations in your child beig born (soon) and you are one tough guy. I will never mess with you in this lifetime.

:-)
ChristianKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #182
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Sternoclavicular joint separation (sprain)

The collar bone connects to the sternum (or breast bone) in the middle of the chest at the top.

What can the athlete do?

Rest If the injury is not severe then there is little else they can do.
The athlete should be able to return to sport within a few weeks but pain may still be present for a few months.
If it is bad you could be confined to hospital due to the risk of damaging blood vessels

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sp...vicular-injury

--------------------

Danny Amendola out about 6 weeks

Amendola suffered what the team believes is a sternoclavicular joint separation. While the injury is expected to sideline Amendola six weeks, he could return earlier.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...endola-6-weeks
Great.....Try throwin the ball in pain, but we know Ben will do it anyway!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #183
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Member Number: 24383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Take the needle Ben!
I second that! Take one for the team! LOL.
ChristianKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #184
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,335 Times in 3,986 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Kovacevic: Life without Ben? Cold reality

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A relentless rain whipped horizontally into the Heinz Field wind tunnel to greet the Steelers’ faithful head-on Monday night, making it so cold, so uncomfortable that the concourses often had more occupants than the seats, that mothers wrapped children in multiple parkas, that men … actually kept their beer bellies under wraps.

That cold.

And yet, none of it approached the chill sent through the 57,644 on hand by the third play of the third quarter of this comparatively hollow 16-13 overtime win over the completely horrible Kansas City Chiefs.

That’s when Ben Roethlisberger went down.

And out.

The Steelers’ quarterback, their franchise, their most valuable player by such a wide margin that there isn’t a viable No. 2, was slammed into the grass by Kansas City linebacker Justin Houston — clean sack — then rose slowly and clutched his right shoulder, cringing with each step to the sideline.

First thought: No way. Not him. Not now, with things just getting good.

“When Ben first went down, I didn’t really think too much of it,” left tackle Max Starks recalled later in a mostly reserved locker room. “Usually, if he’s hurt bad, he’ll stay down. But he asked to be picked up right away.”

Second thought …

“The way he was moving when he went off, yeah, you could see something was wrong.”

Third thought: Uh-oh.

There was word early Tuesday morning that Roethlisberger’s shoulder was sprained rather than separated, which would be better, but nothing was firm. In the immediate aftermath, Mike Tomlin would say only that the shoulder was “being evaluated” and that Roethlisberger had been taken to a hospital for an MRI. No prognosis was given, nor a timetable.

But neither did it sound like anyone was solidly counting on having Roethlisberger for either of the two ridiculously essential games against the despised Ravens over the next three weeks.

As Mike Wallace put it, “When Ben doesn’t come back in the game, you know it’s pretty serious.”

If so, that means one of Byron Leftwich or Charlie Batch will have to take this team through its toughest stretch.

Maybe longer.

Oh, yeah.

In this game, Leftwich looked every bit like a man who’d stepped on the field in anger exactly once since 2009, completing 7 of 14 passes for 73 yards and misfiring terribly on most of the half.

“I haven’t done it in a while,” he said, “but I’m sure if I have to do it, it’ll be like riding a bike.”

We’ll see.

Batch, in turn, hasn’t even suited up for any games this season, and he functions in practice only as the opponents’ quarterback. But Tomlin declined to name a possible starter if Roethlisberger is out, and it can’t be ruled out that he’d go with the 37-year-old patriarch, if only because Batch started last Christmas Eve against the Rams and went 15 of 22 for 208 yards.

But let’s not kid anyone: There’s no QB controversy here. Only QB concerns.

And more than a few concerns beyond that, as well. The injury to Roethlisberger will overshadow all else Monday, but it probably shouldn’t.

Not when the Chiefs’ Jamaal Charles bulldozed relentlessly through the right side of the Steelers’ line for most of his 100 yards, the same way the Bengals did a month ago before Dick LeBeau had to redraw schemes.

Not when the Steelers’ rushing game didn’t come close to matching that, Jonathan Dwyer struggling for 56 yards on 19 carries and Isaac Redman held to 21 after a brief benching for a careless fumble.

Not when the passing game — even with Roethlisberger — glaringly exposed how much Antonio Brown is missed. Mike Wallace used all his limbs for a circus catch on the lone touchdown, but he’d have only two other receptions. In general, the receivers put precious little daylight between themselves and a sticky Kansas City secondary.

Ben or no Ben, if the Steelers perform against Baltimore the way they did Monday, they’ll get bombed by 30 or 40.

As it is, they’re 6-3, the winning streak grew to a frail four, and the standings still look promising.

I asked James Harrison if this team, which has replaced so many parts effectively at so many times, thinks that way about the quarterback position.

“I tend to think so. I hope so,” he replied. “We’ll see if we have to go without Ben. If that’s the case, we’ll move ahead.”

Good idea.

By the time Lawrence Timmons’ elegant interception set up Shaun Suisham’s winning kick, less than half the crowd remained, either too soaked or too stunned to stick around.

A bit fittingly on this night, right as Timmons celebrated, the press box announcer informed us all that Ryan Clark, the Steelers’ best defensive player, was being checked for a possible second concussion in the past month. If that’s the case — and he insisted again that he’s “fine” — his chance of facing the Ravens should be about the same as Roethlisberger’s.

That’s some cold reality.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#ixzz2C9PaoSRJ
Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #185
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,672 Posts

This from Ed.B. of the P-G

Roethlisberger's Rib Injury May be of More Concern

Besides his sprained right shoulder, Ben Roethlisberger also has a rib injury of some extent that Mike Tomlin did not mention at his press conference today.

A source said that injury could be more serious than anyone is letting on, and maybe even more serious than his right shoulder injury.

At mid-afternoon today the Steelers medical staff was still working through all the tests and trying to evaluate them.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...f-more-concern

IMO Ben is gone until at least the San Diego game

Shades of 2005 when Ben missed three games following knee surgery
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #186
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,335 Times in 3,986 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
This from Ed.B. of the P-G

Roethlisberger's Rib Injury May be of More Concern

Besides his sprained right shoulder, Ben Roethlisberger also has a rib injury of some extent that Mike Tomlin did not mention at his press conference today.

A source said that injury could be more serious than anyone is letting on, and maybe even more serious than his right shoulder injury.

At mid-afternoon today the Steelers medical staff was still working through all the tests and trying to evaluate them.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...f-more-concern

IMO Ben is gone until at least the San Diego game

Shades of 2005 when Ben missed three games following knee surgery

what a drama queen...
Old 11-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #187
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...burgh-steelers

NFL.com is now reporting that Ben is officially out for the Ravens game.

Steelers still say "questionable".
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #188
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

now its "indefinitely". The injury appears to be getting worse by the minute.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #189
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
what a drama queen
“rare and dangerous” rib injury = sliver of rib bone 1mm from puncturing aorta

Ben hold press conference, retires, wife says she's happy he's safe now

now that's real drama
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #190
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,672 Posts

So let’s summarize. Roethlisberger has an “unusual” shoulder injury and a “rare and dangerous” rib injury.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ut-for-sunday/

There is a short list of suspects for the source of the "rare and dangerous" description of Ben's rib injury
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote