Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #221
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
Default Re: Big Bens Injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
6 weeks = season

ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported on NFL Live Wednesday that doctors have advised Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder, ribs) to not return until his partially dislocated rib is completely healed, and "that could take up to six weeks.

It's unwelcome news, though Roethlisberger's timeline remains muddled. ESPN's Adam Schefter hinted there's at least a small chance Roethlisberger could be ready to return by Week 13, while coach Mike Tomlin seemed to scoff at the notion that his quarterback's season was in danger. However, Ben himself has copped to being in so much pain he slept in a chair Monday and Tuesday nights. It's a situation we're unlikely to have a firm grasp on for at least another week. For now, owners should plan on Roethlisberger missing at least two games.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...al-for-6-weeks
My gut tells me 6 weeks as well. I think he's done for the year and possibly the first playoff game.

All these hits over the years have piled up and have had a cumulative affect on Ben. Management took too long to address this issue that has been festering for years.

Life without Ben is going to suck. He's such a great QB to watch play the game.

It's time to start preparing for his successor. It's time to look for young talent to groom and to replace him. 10 years is a good run for QB who has taken the kind of punishment he has. I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of the league in the not too distant future.

If they can get to 10 and 6 and get the wildcard they got at least a shot in the tournament. That's all you can ask for.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #222
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492

It's time Steeler Nation faces the harsh reality that this season has basically become moot. And it should.

There is absolutely no reason to rush Ben back after this. The guy is only 30 years old and still has his best years ahead of him. I would say the same regarding Troy. Put him on IR or bench him for the remainder of the year. Make sure his calf is 150% healed, and look to the off-season to start an intense conditioning program. Maybe he can come out next season better than ever. Use this time to play some of our younger guys and do some evaluation. There is no reason to risk injury to any more players.

We absolutely cannot make a legit SuperBowl run anymore. It has never been done with a backup quarterback, and I do not believe the Steelers can break that mold.

Stick it to the Ravens as best we can and make sure they leave Pittsburgh battered, bloody, and bruised, and then use the remainder of the season to evaluate what we have.

We went to the playoffs last year with a completely broken team, and it was horrible. I wish we never went. I am saying the same thing for this year now too. I don't want to see Pittsburgh in the playoff's without Ben.

I'd still like to see us upset the Ratbirds since I despise them with every fiber of my being, but that's all I can hope for regarding the remainder of the season.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #223
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
We absolutely cannot make a legit SuperBowl run anymore. It has never been done with a backup quarterback, and I do not believe the Steelers can break that mold.
while I didn't think this team had a serious chance at winning the Lombardi before the injury (too-many holes, inconsistent play), I believe the Rams with Kurt Warner in 1999, and Cheatriots* in 2001 with Marcia won Super Bowls, playing with a QB thought to be 'back-ups' when that season began
it can be done, but very doubtful
Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #224
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
while I didn't think this team had a serious chance at winning the Lombardi before the injury (too-many holes, inconsistent play), I believe the Rams with Kurt Warner in 1999, and Cheatriots* in 2001 with Marcia won Super Bowls, playing with a QB thought to be 'back-ups' when that season began
it can be done, but very doubtful
Add Jeff Hostetler in 1990 after Phil Simms got hurt late in the season
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #225
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Member Number: 24383

Well I don't personally see Sandwich getting the job done. Of watching the game against KC was any indication to his skill level then we can just kiss the playoffs goodbye. I give it 5 throws before he throws a hamburger pass for an interception leading to a TD by Ravens. Our defense has really been getting better and earning their money this year but isnt it too much to ask them to carry our team against the Ravens for 4 Q's? That's a lot to ask.

Sandwich is not a good QB. He's great for keeping the seat warm for Big Ben. However I do like to get proven wrong on occasion (when beneficial) and I hope he proves us all wrong against the Baltimore game but I don't see that happening. I do however see our offensive line not protect him and he will pretty much get sacked every other play...in between interceptions. I see Suggs having a field day with him. I don't think Flacco will be able to accomplish much which leaves the game to our offense. That being said with Todd Haley at the helm the ship is surely sunk already. Todd's career is going down faster then a cheap hooker on the Titanic. Dick has been doing some strange this on the defense this year and well Tomlin is still Tomlin
ChristianKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #226
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
My gut tells me 6 weeks as well. I think he's done for the year and possibly the first playoff game. .
The Rams receiver who had a big game on Sunday had a similar "life threatening" injury in early October

The St. Louis Rams may be 3-2 in their first season under head coach Jeff Fisher, but they were dealt a significant injury blow on Thursday night when wide receiver Danny Amendola suffered a separated SC joint while laying out to haul in a 22-yard pass attempt from Sam Bradford.

Amendola did not break his collarbone, which the Rams initially feared, and will not require surgery. According to Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com, the injury could have been much, much worse.

During a report on Fox's pregame show, Glazer explained that Amendola dislocated his clavicle, which actually popped in and could have threatened Amendola's trachea and aorta. The Rams' medical staff acted quickly, putting Amendola to sleep before popping the clavicle back into place and making sure it could not dislodge again.

Glazer adds that the Rams called around the league to find a case of another player suffering a similar injury, but they could not find one. The absence of a case study for this particular injury makes it difficult for the Rams to know when Amendola might return. Though surgery is not required, it may take between four and eight weeks for the injury to heal to the point where Amendola can play

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...5914--nfl.html

Injured October 4, back November 11 - 38 days
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #227
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

I remember when the Rams reciever suffered that injury. I just hope Bens is a lower grade version. I still think we can sneak a wildcard spot and have Ben and Troy healthy come playoffs! I cant remember a bigger swing in the outlook of season at the halfway point in a long time!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #228
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Here comes the "Doom and Gloom". The Steelers have been able to overcome adversity in the past. I will keep a positive note and say they can do it again. This is a team! Ben is still only one player. NEXT MAN UP!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #229
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I tend to be the perennial optimist around here, but this injury doesn't have me feeling too good, and I'm not sure if he takes the field again this season. They can make the playoffs with Leftwich, but they'll most likely be one-and-done with a loss to either the Patriots or the Ravens.

Steelers QB Roethlisberger out indefinitely with shoulder and rib injuries
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #230
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Member Number: 24383

Yeah but with Sandwich? He's not a good QB and last week proved that. I dont think Pittsburgh franchise owners ever took into account Ben could actually get hurt. If they did they could have found someone better then Sandwich to play QB. I mean really...what were they thinking? We need Ben bottom line. He has more experience with the Ravens and knows from experience what to expect and how to control the offensive line when out on the field. Sandwich doesn't even know how to call the correct audibles.
ChristianKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote