Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,281 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Leftwich Concerns

I prefer Batch over Leftwich. Batch has done well for us in the past and I agree that he is a much better fit in Haley's offense. However, I hope that Ben will be back and this conversation won't even matter much.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

we're in the shit now - Next time fall on your head, ya bonehead.

Batch wouldn't last a series with his brittle bones.

Letwich still slinging those javelins, I'll stick with the big arm.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
Terminator
Head Coach

Member Number: 24492
Thanked 1,479 Times in 596 Posts

Should we consider the possibility of signing a free agent veteran QB this week just in case?

Leftwhich looked like he got concussed on his first play, and Batch, who isn't even active, might very well die if he takes a hard enough hit.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #14
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897
My Mood: Amazed

Don't forget Dennis Dixon almost (should have) beaten the Ravens a little while back. We can beat them. It will take a huge week of work to get him on board. Also if we get AB and Mendy back, maybe that compensates.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #15
Terminator
Head Coach

Member Number: 24492
Thanked 1,479 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardlad View Post
Don't forget Dennis Dixon almost (should have) beaten the Ravens a little while back. We can beat them. It will take a huge week of work to get him on board. Also if we get AB and Mendy back, maybe that compensates.
Mendy looked really bad against the Titans before he went out. I would just keep Dwyer in there, personally. Although, Mendy did look sweet against the Eagles. Tough decision the more I think about it.

Brown will help, but without Ben, it's a moot point.

We really really really need Ben back. Without him, the team will be lost on the field.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
PettySteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 16708

Either QB will be prepared, but i think are best bet is Leftwich.. Sure wouldn't mind having Dixon still... Can always call McNabb or Favre.. LOL
PettySteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Byron has the long windup, but he also still has a cannon. Did you see some of those lasers? Charlie is a rag arm. Baltimore will be sitting on his throws all game.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #18
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,356 Times in 10,291 Posts
My Mood: Dead

BALT is horrible against the run. Whichever QB starts, it needs to be just enough to keep 8 out of the box...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #19
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,038 Times in 878 Posts

I think that if we want Leftwich to play "Haleyball", then we're going to have problems (Batch would be better for that).
But if Haley can design something to complement Leftwich's greatest asset (his arm) then I think we'll be OK.

The obvious knock on BL is his mobility -- he doesn't have any. He tends to look more like a refrigerator in the pocket than a QB (although Ben tends to fall more like one) so he's going to need pocket help to stay upright. But BL's greatest asset is his arm and he's one of the few people on the planet who can actually overthrow Mike Wallace at full sprint and I think that would be a good place to start.

I think we need to design some plays that feature either Sanders or Wallace (or both) running deep sideline or post routes and let BL reach them with long balls. The only drawback there is that BL tends to throw a shallow ball and for that to work deep there needs to be separation. Ben throws a very high, arcing deep ball which is one reason why he really doesn't throw all that far (but he's gotten a bit better at that over the years) that sort of drops into the receiver's hands but Leftwich throws a rope that's faster and harder which is OK as long as the coverage isn't too tight.

BL is also not a "dink and dunk" passer (again Charlie would be better for that) but over the middle on mid-range routes I think he's fine. Although his biggest flaw is his long delivery (which telegraphs his passes), that doesn't mean much on medium-range slants and posts because he makes up for it in ball speed.

I think it breaks down like this:

If we want to keep running Haley's offense "as is", then Charlie might be the better choice for the short, touch-style passes and he also brings a bit more mobility to the table but doesn't really have a powerful deep ball. If we're going with Leftwich, then Haley needs to back away from the finesse game and think more in terms of a "Terry Bradshaw" type gameplan featuring deep balls and mid-range routes while keeping Miller or someone else in the backfield for extra protection to allow BL to wind up and throw.

I'm wondering if maybe it's time to think in terms of "Quarterback by committee" as we've been doing with the running game. Charlie has one skill set and Leftwich has another and maybe using both of them can allow Haley to run nearly a full version of his offense?

Something to think about....
Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,445 Times in 1,627 Posts

The Ravens are just going to key on the sluggish plodding RB's we have in Dwyer and Redman. If we want to run the ball, the O line has to establish some dominance. Otherwise we are better with a healthy Mendenhall.

If there is no Mendenhall or Brown, then the Ravens gameplan is simple. Attack the RB's with abandon and if its play action, keep going by them towards the statuesque Steelers QB's. If the O line can give Lefty some time to use that big windup, then Miller, Wallace and hopefully Brown can be effective.