Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,922 Times in 4,520 Posts
Default new rule instituted in NFL???

looks like a new "steelers rule" is taking hold.

the league has announced that from now on every incomplete pass thrown by a steelers qb, the opponents will be allowed to pick it up and run it back until the refs decide whether it is a "fumble" or not and if they want to award the opponents 7 points.

seriously, i havent seen this shit with any other team (and i watch all the games aired other than steelers) and yet it has happened twice to the steelers in consecutive weeks.

i understand letting the players play out a play and relying on instant replay to sort out the details, but it has gotten rediculous.

im not a conspiracy theorist, but an incomplete pass is an incomplete pass and should be ruled as such. if the opponents coach disagrees the honus should be on him to throw the challenge flag.

what the hell is going on?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,738 Times in 1,691 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: new rule instituted in NFL???

Completely agree. That "fumble" against the Giants was obviously an incomplete pass and they got the call on the field wrong against the Chiefs initially as well. My opinion so far has been that the real refs haven't been much better than the replacement ones. That "fumble" in the Giants game could have ultimately ended up costing us the game and that's wrong. It's not as big as the missed call in the Packers - Seahawks game but it's pretty damned close.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,572 Times in 5,978 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,491 Times in 10,343 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I was thinking the same thing.

I'll give the refs the NYG game, because JPP hit BB's arm... and it was tough to tell in regular speed. (Although, they should have gotten it right in slow-mo.) But, in the KC game, no one hit Leftwich's arm... his arm went forward... and the ball went forward. Even I could see that... at REGULAR speed (let alone slow-mo).

As soon as Houston started running it back, I thought: "Here we go again: another FREE TD for an opponent."

I don't like to think of the game as being fixed, but it seems like the refs are erring on the side of "giving the opponent a turnover" as opposed to (as OX stated) calling what they actually see.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
looks like a new "steelers rule" is taking hold.

the league has announced that from now on every incomplete pass thrown by a steelers qb, the opponents will be allowed to pick it up and run it back until the refs decide whether it is a "fumble" or not and if they want to award the opponents 7 points.

seriously, i havent seen this shit with any other team (and i watch all the games aired other than steelers) and yet it has happened twice to the steelers in consecutive weeks.

i understand letting the players play out a play and relying on instant replay to sort out the details, but it has gotten rediculous.

im not a conspiracy theorist, but an incomplete pass is an incomplete pass and should be ruled as such. if the opponents coach disagrees the honus should be on him to throw the challenge flag.

what the hell is going on?
Yeah, and the one we needed against Warner in the Super Bowl didn't go our way. That was way worse than Ben's "fumble" against the Giants.

Thank God they got the second one right that ended the game, and there was even media-controversy over that one.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

its almost funny watching the refs skipping around and waving their arms all over the place like seagulls when this same thing happens to Brady, Brees, Manning (Peyton), and Rogers to signal incomplete pass.

I agree - what the *^%#& is this crap?
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,345 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
its almost funny watching the refs skipping around and waving their arms all over the place like seagulls when this same thing happens to Brady, Brees, Manning (Peyton), and Rogers to signal incomplete pass.

I agree - what the *^%#& is this crap?
two words: preferential treatment - I'm convinced it exists - If you think they don't talk about keeping certain players safe in marketing strategy meetings - you are wrong. Ratings with Brady hurt, Brees hurt,or Rogers hurt = down for that media market.

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,372 Posts

They also gave the chiefs a 4th timeout. Not sure how many of you noticed that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
terpsnation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24505

I think nowadays w/ the automatic review of every turnover, you'll probably start seeing this a lot more often. The refs obviously think that it's better to rule it a turnover, then have it automatically reviewed than to rule it a dead play and have the defense decide whether to challenge. If they could actually get the correct ruling from the automatic review, then I'd be okay with this. Unfortunately, the refs are inept and often blow calls even after a review. Also, the fact that you need irrefutable evidence to overturn the ruling on the field makes it slightly more likely that the turnover will be upheld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
They also gave the chiefs a 4th timeout. Not sure how many of you noticed that.
You are given an injury timeout after you have exhausted all 3 of your regular timeouts.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timingfinal
terpsnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
Terminator
Head Coach

Member Number: 24492
Thanked 1,505 Times in 604 Posts

I still think the worst was that "helmet to helmet blatant hit" called on Ryan Clark against Victor Cruz. What a fuckin joke.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote