Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #81
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,525 Times in 5,959 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Byron Leftwich will start

Todd Haley speaks wisdom, not cliches, when speaking of Byron Leftwich

By Neal Coolong on Nov 16
Jared Wickerham

The bit about the standard being the standard isn't applicable in every situation. Come Sunday, the standard of quarterback play isn't going to be the same as when Ben Roethlisberger is playing. But that's not a bad thing, either.

Playing in shadows isn't easy. Playing in the shadow of Ben Roethlisberger has to be extraordinarily difficult.

What happens when you don't play in that shadow?

The easy storyline here is Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich will fill Big Ben's big shadow in their huge Week 11 game against division-leading Baltimore Sunday.

The reality is the Baltimore Ravens have not seen a duplicated copy of Roethlisberger coming out of the Steelers' offensive huddle. They have not seen how this offense plays with Leftwich - and not Roethlisberger, Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch - under center.

And while the Steelers have lost the last four games against the Ravens with someone other than Roethlisberger under center, the last two - in 2009 and 2010 - were games decided by one field goal each.

It's not as if that shadow hasn't been cast aside before, and the Steelers answered the bell. Ravens fans (and even the snotty editor of their team web site) are pretty happy with themselves, and convinced of the Steelers' demise.

That theory holds well, assuming Leftwich tries to be Roethlisberger. He's not. His offensive coordinator doesn't want him to be. He's been dubbed by Doug Gottleib and Ephraim Salaam as "the least athletic black quarterback in NFL history."

That's quite the adjustment for a defense to make, particularly since there's barely any film on Leftwich to digest. They have 14 pass plays, and 32 total plays to break down.

The Steelers hold the element of surprise in this game. They also have one of the game's best tight ends, deep threats and outstanding depth at the receiver position.

Not to take anything away from Ben Roethlisberger, but stick Haley in a lab for a few days with the idea of coming up with something both workable by his offense and unexpected by a defense, chances are good whatever that is will work. Not to mention, this is the Steelers' 80th season anniversary game, one that will be viewed by scores of former players in a heavily charged atmosphere at Heinz Field.

Some may remember the last time the Ravens came to Heinz Field, played against the Steelers who were wearing their throwback jerseys in a celebration gala-game.

The Steelers may have better chances of winning games with Ben Roethlisberger under center, but Byron Leftwich doesn't need Roethlisberger's shadow to be successful against Baltimore.

And who knows? Maybe he just will go out and put up an amazing performance.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ns-week-11-nfl
Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #82
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Thanked 1,103 Times in 462 Posts

Is anyone else surprised they haven't signed another QB yet? I would think Troy Smith would be the favorite if they do.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #83
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,632 Posts

Got to go with the best you have on the roster. Troy Smith wasnt even a camp arm this year. I'm hoping the O line can assert itself in the run game and take some of the pressure off Byron.

I say we lose by 7 points, but hope we win by 20.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #84
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
Now accepting the fact ben will be gone for a long time and possibly the remainder of the season we face the prospect of succeeding with out an elite quarterback, kind of like the 49ers. Leftwich really isn't that bad. Were we better with Ben? yes. Probably the hottest team in the NFL. Are we still really Fing good? Yes, We came back and beat the chiefs with out Ben and I'm sure we will do just fine. I think it would be nice if we can get to the playoffs and then get Ben back though.
Ben will be back in around 3-4 weeks. He's not going anywhere this year.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #85
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,662 Times in 2,543 Posts
My Mood: Amused

I'm not a big Leftwich fan, but it's not him I'm worried about. I'm worried about whether or not Mike Wallace will catch any of Lefty's passes. He drives me nuts!
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #86
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Here's my line for Leftwich:

22 of 34 for 261 yards, 2 TD and 1 INT.... And 1 great big W :D
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote