Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #21
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Who should be the #1 RB?

Dwyer is a better north south runner by far. Plus he fights for extra yards effectively. The problem I saw from him tonight was that he kept pulling himself out of the game. Not sure if its the injury or his stamina but I'd rather see him in there most of the time.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #22
bhandsome08
Water Boy

Member Number: 24495

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
Dwyer is a better north south runner by far. Plus he fights for extra yards effectively. The problem I saw from him tonight was that he kept pulling himself out of the game. Not sure if its the injury or his stamina but I'd rather see him in there most of the time.
Even before the injury, he would still take himself out of the game after consecutive run plays.
I think he'd be effective if they give the ball 15-20 times a game. I think Rainey should get a bit more touches also. Since Defenses always seem to drop back when he's in the game.
bhandsome08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #23
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,959 Times in 2,105 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Mendenhall certainly didn't light up the stat-sheet, but you have to remember how god-awful our offensive line played in general. In recent years, our backup running backs have ALWAYS played lights out, and that brings a LOT of criticism to the starting running back. The fact of the matter is that these guys are coming off the bench, making plays, and heading right back to relax and repeat the whole process. Dwyer has already show numerous times that he's easily winded in a starter role. Not saying that's impossible to overcome, but I believe it's something that could prevent him from ever taking the #1 depth chart spot.

I honestly believe Redman will be the starter before Dwyer, and that's not necessarily a bad thing at all.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #24
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,840 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandsome08 View Post
Personally, I think Dwyer should be the starter. He's been the more effective runner this season.
Mendy was a such a disappointment tonight. Spin moves and dancing side to side, when his o-line gave him holes to hit. He should be looking straight ahead and hit the damn hole like Dwyer has been doing.

The starting RB should be either DWYER, DWYER or DWYER.

Mendy may be healthy, but he's no "up-the-middle" back and he never has been.
Redman is a close second to Dwyer, but he's had a bad run of injuries lately. I don't know if he's fragile or just unlucky, but Dwyer seems to be ready to go all the time.

Not only that, but many fans and talking heads see Dwyer as the second coming of Bettis (I've been saying that myself since the pre-season) and that has value in itself in that it serves to fire him up even more to "live up to" Bettis' reputation. Dwyer runs a lot like Bussie in that he doesn't stop when he's hit and often gains more yards AFTER he's hit than he gained BEFORE he was hit -- which was Bettis' stock-in-trade.

I think Dwyer has earned the right to start and Haley needs to design a running game based on him and his abilities -- which should be easy since all he'd have to do is just watch film of Bettis and take some notes.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #25
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Mendy as long as he remains here. Dwyer had 2 good games and did NOTHING the rest. He is not physically capable of being a starter. No amount of silly cheering will give him the conditioning he needs to make it. he took the lions share of the carries and put up a whopping 55 yards.

The reason we didn't run him more last night is because he kept signaling that he is not able to go, and needed to come out. Maybe he'll do some work over the offseason and fix this, but until he shows he can go, he's second string for life. Come back after he puts up back to back 1000 yard seasons and we'll talk it over again. Has even managed to score a single touchdown in his entire career yet?
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #26
FanSince72
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Mendy as long as he remains here. Dwyer had 2 good games and did NOTHING the rest. He is not physically capable of being a starter. No amount of silly cheering will give him the conditioning he needs to make it. he took the lions share of the carries and put up a whopping 55 yards.

The reason we didn't run him more last night is because he kept signaling that he is not able to go, and needed to come out. Maybe he'll do some work over the offseason and fix this, but until he shows he can go, he's second string for life. Come back after he puts up back to back 1000 yard seasons and we'll talk it over again. Has even managed to score a single touchdown in his entire career yet?
And Mendy has done what?

Anyone?

Anyone?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #27
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
And Mendy has done what?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Mendy has not been healthy. So it's pretty tough to criticize his play this year..he's not really played much.

He still has his speed... I think he needs to build up his strength a bit - which takes playing time to do so. I personally think Mendy and Dyer are a perfect 1-2 punch. Right now Dyer is the better RB.... when both are healthy they are both good RB's..and in the NFL you need 2 good running backs.... we have 3. so I'm pretty happy about that.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #28
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Quote:
And Mendy has done what?

Anyone?

Anyone?
I know we'll always disagree here...but what Mendy has done, is more yards in a single season than both Dwyer and Redman combined. More touchdowns than Dwyer and Redman combined can even imagine.

I'll make you a deal, though. Since you seem to want to disregard 3 full seasons of Mendenhall putting up 1st string numbers, how about you go ahead and throw out the Cincy and Skins game, then tell me what Dwyer has done? I keep seeing posts saying things like "Dwyer has proven game after game"...yea, except he hasn't. he had 2 good games, and the others he didn't do anything. The guy has started what, 5 games? And has 410 yards, and ZERO TD's. Where's his body of work?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #29
FanSince72
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Mendy has not been healthy. So it's pretty tough to criticize his play this year..he's not really played much.

He still has his speed... I think he needs to build up his strength a bit - which takes playing time to do so. I personally think Mendy and Dyer are a perfect 1-2 punch. Right now Dyer is the better RB.... when both are healthy they are both good RB's..and in the NFL you need 2 good running backs.... we have 3. so I'm pretty happy about that.
And speed means nothing when it comes to breaking through an "A" gap.
Power is what makes that work and Mendy doesn't have that kind of power.

Like I've said a million times, Mendy's at his best when running off tackle or as a receiver out of the backfield. But he's no power back and never will be.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #30
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Quote:
And speed means nothing when it comes to breaking through an "A" gap.
Power is what makes that work and Mendy doesn't have that kind of power.

Like I've said a million times, Mendy's at his best when running off tackle or as a receiver out of the backfield. But he's no power back and never will be.
I wouldn't necessarily agree. One of Dwyers longest runs last night he actually had a rare hole pushed open by the line. He cleared it with no contact, then had his after contact yardage. But who's to say if that was Mendy who go the benefit of actually having blocking he might not have taken off? The biggest running games this year have come when the line began opening solid gaps. Mendy hasn't had the benefit of any of those so far this year.