Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #31
Stairway to 7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24340
Default Re: Who should be the #1 RB?

Not spinthenfall.
Stairway to 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #32
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,298 Times in 579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stairway to 7 View Post
Not spinthenfall.
Rashard Spinthenfall.

I like that!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #33
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

Uugh, you always bring up that crap about how Mendy has had more yards than both Dwyer and Redman, gee if he is the designated starter for his entire career and gets the bulk of the carries he will have more yards and TDs, it is simple math. Answer this, who averages more ypc? Now take that average and multiply times the total number of carries Mendy was given and let me know how that works out. I think if you design a run game around Dwyer or Redman, then as a back up the other plays to the same strengths. We wont have that home run back, but honestly how did Rice do last night? That power game is working and in the 4th the def was tired out like when we had the bus and we were able to run over them. I think Mendy walks after this season, salary cap space will come into play and he just isnt needed.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #34
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Uugh, you always bring up that crap about how Mendy has had more yards than both Dwyer and Redman, gee if he is the designated starter for his entire career and gets the bulk of the carries he will have more yards and TDs, it is simple math. Answer this, who averages more ypc? Now take that average and multiply times the total number of carries Mendy was given and let me know how that works out. I think if you design a run game around Dwyer or Redman, then as a back up the other plays to the same strengths. We wont have that home run back, but honestly how did Rice do last night? That power game is working and in the 4th the def was tired out like when we had the bus and we were able to run over them. I think Mendy walks after this season, salary cap space will come into play and he just isnt needed.
Ok, so you want to take a small slice of plays and use the stats from them, and ignore another guys entire career performance to compare in a more favorable light? We can do that too. So in the Oakland game, using you formula, Dwyer would come out to -11 yards if he had taken the starting back share, at his average of -.3 YPC for that day. Sounds like a bang up performance we missed out on there.

Or how about that KC game, where he took more carries than he did in either of his 100 yard games, yet only managed 56 yards? And how many yards will you be spotting him with this silly math before you start spotting him some TD's? I mean, all these imaginary theory yards are really helping out our run game, but the guy has started like 5 games now and hasn't produced a single TD.

And hey, how about that game where he split the carries evenly with Redman, our OTHER top 5 in the league back, and they combined for an amazing 50 yards! Yea, that's the answer to our woes on offense right there.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #35
Penn
Starter

Member Number: 19535

Dwyer was calling for a sub frequently in the game. It was abundantly clear at two points in the game after only 2 or 3 plays. They zoomed in on him jogging to the sideline motioning for a sub. He looks good when he runs but he has to have more endurance to be the work horse
Penn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Penn For This Useful Post:
Darkstorm05 (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #36
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Dwyer was calling for a sub frequently in the game. It was abundantly clear at two points in the game after only 2 or 3 plays. They zoomed in on him jogging to the sideline motioning for a sub. He looks good when he runs but he has to have more endurance to be the work horse
None of his fans seem to want to speak to this. It's all about how he would be putting up 100+ yards a game every game if they let him run. Or asking why he keeps getting pulled out for long stretches. HE CAN NOT PHYSICALLY KEEP UP.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #37
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Mendenhall has firmly established himself as #3. Dwyer is healthy and has been producing most consistently, so he gets the nod for now over Redman.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #38
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,687 Times in 876 Posts
My Mood: Crappy

Dwyer. I've always been quick to declare Mendy as our best back when fully healthy but right now no.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #39
SuperSteelers
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
None of his fans seem to want to speak to this. It's all about how he would be putting up 100+ yards a game every game if they let him run. Or asking why he keeps getting pulled out for long stretches. HE CAN NOT PHYSICALLY KEEP UP.
I was one of his biggest fans 'til last night. I love to watch his physical running style, one that I haven't seen since Bettis played. He runs with force, takes, hits, (usually) doesn't fumble, and gets 1st downs.

But when the team needed him the most, when they needed points desperately, he runs off to the sidelines...

Sorry, not acceptable.

Mendy is not the answer, but neither is Dwyer.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #40
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSteelers View Post
I was one of his biggest fans 'til last night. I love to watch his physical running style, one that I haven't seen since Bettis played. He runs with force, takes, hits, (usually) doesn't fumble, and gets 1st downs.

But when the team needed him the most, when they needed points desperately, he runs off to the sidelines...

Sorry, not acceptable.

Mendy is not the answer, but neither is Dwyer.
you could honestly make an argument against both of them. Not really for, but against. I would go with Dwyer, he was obviously more successful and I like his running style better. The fact that he takes himself out of the game hopefully is due to injuries and lack of practice. If he could stay healthy its possible he could get in better shape.Not a fan of Mendy.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote