Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
VA_steeelrs
Water Boy

Member Number: 21670
Default It is a simple arithmetic…stupid.

I waited a couple of days to post the message just to make sure it is not out of my madness.

It is obvious that Tomlin is an incompetent in managing game clocks. It is a simple arithmetic…stupid.
Calling a timeout with 2 minutes and 4 seconds left, is flat out retarded act. If this call was made in the previous play or within the 2 minutes, he could have saved 40 seconds. This guys is paid millions of $$$ and yet proved that he does not even understand simple math like this. he needs to go back to college, I mean grade school
VA_steeelrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: It is a simple arithmetic…stupid.

Uhhhh.....what? The intention was for us to take the TO, then play 3rd down, then go to the 2 minute warning, then take the punt with no time run off. This plan went to hell because we took an offsides, instead. In what way does this reflect on Tomlin? Because he counted on his veteran players to not make a total dumbass move and waste 35 seconds?
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Darkstorm05 For This Useful Post:
LambertWardSteel (11-21-2012), Rick5895 (11-21-2012), SH-Rock (11-20-2012), SteelCityMom (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,643 Times in 1,994 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

And in the couple of days you waited to post this it didn't occur to you that it wasn't Tomlin's fault at ALL? An off-sides penalty negated his effort, which was, in fact, smart coaching. If our veteran players refrain from going off-sides, this topic never gets created, and this discussion never happens.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,566 Times in 3,985 Posts

its a standard, widely practiced tactic.

some fans just souldnt try to monday morning qb, let alone armchair coach.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,043 Times in 4,579 Posts

Posts like this make me more upset than losing to the Ravens.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

It took you 2 days to come up with this retarded post??? Wow! Your game day analysis must be incredible.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,941 Times in 9,370 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Pot... calling Mr. Pot.
Sincerely,
Mr. Kettle
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,643 Times in 1,994 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

I've read this over three times now, and i'm still coming to the same conclusion: It isn't Mike's math that's at fault here, and I mean that in the most respectful way possible.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
fdp
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7697

From grantland.com 's Bill Barnwell:
"with the game winding down and his Steelers trailing by three points, Mike Tomlin faced what appeared to be a difficult clock-management decision during the fourth quarter on Sunday night. With one timeout left in the bag,1 Tomlin's team faced a new set of downs from the Ravens with just 2:51 left in the game.

In making his decision, Tomlin needs to assume that he's going to get a pair of stops and try to leave as much time on the clock as possible. While the Steelers ended up committing an offsides penalty that cost them 40 key seconds, you can't assume that your veteran defense is going to take an incredibly ill-timed penalty. You have to plan for the best-case scenario, because there's virtually no way you can win with anything worse.

On first down, the Ravens ran the ball with Ray Rice and gained three yards, taking about two seconds in the process. With 2:49 left, the Steelers had about a two-second window during which they could have called timeout and forced the Ravens to run two plays before the two-minute warning. A timeout at exactly 2:49 forces the Ravens to run the ball on second down, taking about four seconds off the clock, which would then wind the clock down to 2:05 before the Ravens had to act on third down. There, the Ravens would have likely called timeout just before the play clock hit zero and then run a play to try for the first down; with no need to burn clock (since a punt would come across the two-minute warning anyway), the Ravens could choose to throw on third down as opposed to relying upon their moribund running game. If the Steelers came up with a stop, the punt would come right at 2:00 and they'd take over with about 1:56 or so left to go.

What the Steelers chose to do instead wasn't all that much different. They let the clock run after the first-down handoff, let the Ravens run for no gain and take five seconds off the clock, and then called a timeout at 2:04. The Ravens then would have had the opportunity to throw (or run) the ball with 2:04 left before a stop would have forced them to punt at or just after the two-minute warning. The Steelers ended up taking that unfortunate offsides penalty and then forced a sack of Joe Flacco (likely by design, with coach John Harbaugh insisting that Flacco take an easy completion or be sacked to run clock) on the other side of the two-minute warning, costing Pittsburgh 40 seconds in the process. Without the offsides, though, the timeout usage at either 2:49 and 2:04 wouldn't have resulted in a significantly different process. In both cases, Pittsburgh's getting the ball right around 1:55.

What if the Steelers had chosen to use their timeout after the two-minute warning? Well, let's see. The Ravens would have run the ball at 2:09, just as they did in the real game, pushing the clock to the two-minute warning. When they came back to third down, they would have needed to run the ball to ensure that the clock kept moving while forcing the Steelers to take their final timeout with about 1:56 to go. A punt would then give the Steelers the ball with about 1:51 or so left.

Tomlin's timeout situation, then, left him with a tradeoff. By taking the timeout before the two-minute warning, Tomlin traded an extra four to five seconds of game time for the ability to induce a run from the Ravens on third down. Had he taken the timeout after the two-minute warning, he would have done the opposite, forcing a third down run while costing his team five seconds or so. I don't think it's clear that one option is better than the other, and in the long run, Pittsburgh's offsides penalty ended up making the whole thing irrelevant."
fdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
SteelerForever
Water Boy

Member Number: 15717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
I've read this over three times now, and i'm still coming to the same conclusion: It isn't Mike's math that's at fault here, and I mean that in the most respectful way possible.
I have been a reader of this forum for some time. This topic has me pissed so I thought I would share some additional thought.

The OP of this thread is correct that Tomlin should not have called a time-out at 2:04 and here is why and it is not because of simple math.

With the ravens facing a 3rd and 6 (obvious passing down) letting the clock run to 2:00 is the correct play. Now the Ravens are faced with a tough decision. Whether to run and conceded getting a first down or pass and risk an incompletion which leaves an extra 40 seconds on the clock. The saving of the 4 seconds is not worth it for the Steelers.

What actually happened in the game was the worse possible situation because of the offsides. It cost the Steelers about 40 seconds and it could have been the difference in the game. Personally, I think allowing the ravens to pass for the first down with no penalty of an incomplete pass (stopping the clock) is not worth the 4 seconds saved.
SteelerForever is offline   Reply With Quote